468 Posts
subscribed...
Pilot_Tony is online now Find More Posts by Pilot_Tony
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:05 PM
already ruff, trying for ready
Joined Apr 2011
44 Posts
I'm subscribed as well. It'll be very interesting to see the choices and techniques used on this one. Besides the tail, I'm wondering about the flaps, ailerons, underwing radiatiors, tailwheel location, tailwheel retracting or not.
Ruffin Ready is offline Find More Posts by Ruffin Ready
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:49 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,330 Posts
well guys...

getting back to this mow the FMS spit mk9 to mk 12 bash is pretty much done.

I will be tag teaming this with a yet unstarted thread on my bash of ther Parkzone MK9 spit to a MK1a. I find it a lot quicker to have two models going at the same time. I can work on one with things are drying on the other.

since it's too foggy to fly today (and I had to work yesterday), I got back to the 109 and mounted the new tail and begun mods on the wing.
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:32 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Glad to see this project resuming. I noticed at RCScalebuilder some photos of a modified 109F and FW190 that looked very nice. More proof, if any were necessary, that these planes provide a good platform for modification.

You have to register to view the site, but in my personal opinion it's worth it.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...058&PN=3&TPN=1
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:39 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,777 Posts
Great Job Tom
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Tom, in consulting my various documentation references, I had an idea I wanted to get your opinion on.

I'm thinking this plane could be modified into any earlier BF109 variant - E, D, B, or C, provided the modeler is willing to fabricate a new cowling/fuse/spinner (everything forward of the canopy), and re-sculpture/add to the wing. My theory is these were all basically the same plane in terms of fuse from the front of the canopy to the rear, and (from top view) wing profile from the root outward to about the start of the aileron. There was a big change in flap configuration from the E to the F, but that is very manageable given that the wing root and shape remained the same from the E to the F for about 2/3s of the way from root to tip.

For example if I wanted to convert this to a "B", I'd need to completely redo the fuse forward of the cockpit, do a custom spinner, modify the shape of the wing, and replace the flaps. Also modify gear rake a bit and then I'd basically have it right.

Am I missing anything or is this do-able?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:56 PM
Can glue better than fly!
Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Joined Aug 2005
293 Posts
I was interested to do the same thing until i compared it to this dusty old model i had of a 109, though i don't know exactly which variant it is. This is what i always picture when i think of the 109, with the struts on the horiz stab, the more squared off wings and the cannon spinner. I want this look but i'm not willing to mess with my main wings by trying to add so much to the tips. I may just make some struts and modify a different spinner to look like an older one and see how it goes. Nobody i fly with would really know the difference probably anyways. Comparing this model and the FMS 109 side by side showed they are quite different in many areas.
Spitfireski is offline Find More Posts by Spitfireski
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:48 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
Tom, in consulting my various documentation references, I had an idea I wanted to get your opinion on.

I'm thinking this plane could be modified into any earlier BF109 variant - E, D, B, or C, provided the modeler is willing to fabricate a new cowling/fuse/spinner (everything forward of the canopy), and re-sculpture/add to the wing. My theory is these were all basically the same plane in terms of fuse from the front of the canopy to the rear, and (from top view) wing profile from the root outward to about the start of the aileron. There was a big change in flap configuration from the E to the F, but that is very manageable given that the wing root and shape remained the same from the E to the F for about 2/3s of the way from root to tip.

For example if I wanted to convert this to a "B", I'd need to completely redo the fuse forward of the cockpit, do a custom spinner, modify the shape of the wing, and replace the flaps. Also modify gear rake a bit and then I'd basically have it right.

Am I missing anything or is this do-able?
It would be a lot of work, you would be better off starting with the earlier cartoon scale BF-109E that FMS started with.
That Bash I did is found here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404827

converting to a B (either FMS model) would be a real chore with that nose cooler, but it would be eliminate the wing radiators.

Tom
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Thanks. Yep it would be a lot of work with either model.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:15 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,330 Posts
got a little work done, but it's been slow as they always seem to push OT on me as we get close to xmas break at Mother Grumman.

Glassed the foam rudder with .75oz cloth and WBPU and then added two heavy coats of gesso primer (sand between). fills the weave rather well. makes the foam a bit less easy to dent.

added the pin hinges and installed on fin.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:15 PM
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Jun 2010
324 Posts
Fantastic!

I love this project!

I, like many was very excited when this model came out. My excitement waned a bit when I realized how far away the model was from basic scale outline.
I've seen that many folks are quite happy with it as it is and that's great. I though, would have to do the mods the way you are treating them; fin/rudder, stab, etc. I've liked your other works as well and am so pleased to see a member of the scale police actually doing something about it!

I'm now off to sell more tickets to the Scale Policeman's Christmas Ball...

Cheers,

Sperling
Sperling234 is online now Find More Posts by Sperling234
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:21 AM
The faster the better!
Southern England
Joined Jan 2009
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperling234 View Post

Cheers,

Sperling
Can I have a couple of tickets please
TLMARK is online now Find More Posts by TLMARK
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:59 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperling234 View Post
I love this project!

I, like many was very excited when this model came out. My excitement waned a bit when I realized how far away the model was from basic scale outline.
I've seen that many folks are quite happy with it as it is and that's great. I though, would have to do the mods the way you are treating them; fin/rudder, stab, etc. I've liked your other works as well and am so pleased to see a member of the scale police actually doing something about it!

Cheers,

Sperling
Thanks Sperling, I kind of look at these models as a paint by number set. A great canvas to work on, but needs a bit of realism here and there.

I am currently working on a dissertation why these manufacturers (in most cases) do not have to bastardize the tails to get a good flying model. It will eventually show up in my blog. I do hope they read it.

would that not be the "secret policeman's other christmas ball?" (nudge-nudge, wink-wink, 'he asked him knowingly')
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:36 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,897 Posts
Hey Tom,
Looking good. Don't want to hijack your thread but thought you might like to see this if you (or any other BF109 lover) had seen it before.
Bf 109 pilot Franz Stigler and B-17 pilot Charlie Brown's first meeting (6 min 50 sec)

Great story!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:31 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Spelling thanks for that post I feel the same way. It's great that so many enjoy these models as they are out of the box, but as a member of the Fraternal Order of the Scale Police I'm glad that some like Tom have the interest and ability to take them further.

Tom what brand of gesso primer are you using?