HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:37 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Discussion
International shipping

What gives Hobbypartz.

Can we please get some consistency to the policy on overseas shipping of lipo batteries.

At the start of June I ordered $500 worth of Skylipo's, arrived within 10 days to Australia and I am very, very happy with the performance of these packs.

Decided to re-order another $400 worth and have been told that according to DOT regs that international shipping is forbidden??

Sure I understand this is on the website, but as you have shipped these to me two weeks prior and many, many other suppliers can ship lipos your surely have a process of getting these out to customers off shore?

I've never had an issue before with postage of lipos from the USA, never had them held up in customs, or stopped from shipping.

Perhaps this policy was now followed because I took advantage of the 10% off deal that saved me almost all of the shipping costs so they decided to cancel my order and evoke the DOT regs as the reason??

Frustrated that I find a lipo that performs they way I want it and now can't get it shipped!!!
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:24 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2011
195 Posts
Same here buddy (Canada).

Quote:
This email is regarding HobbyPartz order number
yhst-XXX96343123315-XXXXXX.

There's no international shipping for lipo batteries, it is banned by DOT (DEPT. OF TRANSPORTATION). Do you want us to cancel your order or do you want us to
ship you the other item(s) from your order?
I've used the 10% off as well but I believe there is a new law in USA. I will do a little research before posting anything...
runner2k is offline Find More Posts by runner2k
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:20 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
I hear you!

That law has been in place for some time now; it however didn't stop the postage of lipo's in the past 3 shipment HobbyPtz sent me!!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:37 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2011
195 Posts
Here is the NOTICE on their website:

NOTICE: Effective May 16, 2012 the Postal Service™ Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Serves, listed in the Domestic Mail Manual section 601.10.20, codify that primary lithium metal, lithium polymer, lithium alloy (non-rechargeable) cells and batteries or secondary lithium-ion cells and batteries (rechargeable) are prohibited when mailed internationally, and to or from an APO, FPO, or DPO location. Until such time that a less restrictive policy can be implemented consistent with international standards, and in accordance with UPU (Universal Postal Union) HobbyPartz, NitroPlanes, Xheli, NitroRCX, and RaidenTech will not ship lithium batteries that are not permitted in international mail in addition to Alaska and Hawaii.

I live in Canada and I've been buying from HobbyPartz since last year. Many orders had been placed including LIPO packs inside.

So, it looks like I won't be ordering anymore lipos from HobbyPartz for a while as they seem to offer no other shipping option. I would like to hear from HobbyPartz whether there will be a strategy to return shipping LIPO pack? Of course, without increasing its shipping cost...

Thank you.
runner2k is offline Find More Posts by runner2k
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:25 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined May 2012
52 Posts
Hello,

runner2k is correct. Although we would love to ship batteries internationally, we can not do so without violating the US postal code. Batteries are a huge part of our business and we too are disappointed that we had to stop shipping internationally. Our management actually has a meeting scheduled soon where they plan to discuss alternatives that would keep us in compliance to the postal code while allowing us to resume international shipment of Lipo batteries.

One alternative is to have a forward shipping company in the United States where you can have your batteries shipped, at which point further instructions will be up to you and the location.

Unless regulations relax, we will continue working on figuring out ways to get the products you want into your hands, but until then, we must keep in compliance with Federal regulations.

Here is the link to the full USPS DMM Revision concerning Lithium Batteries: http://about.usps.com/postal-bulleti...l/updt_004.htm

@bigroger
You were able to get your first battery order because at that point in time we had not yet received the cease and decist order from the post manager general.
Nitro_Gary is offline Find More Posts by Nitro_Gary
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:12 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Thank you Gary.

Am i to assume that if I set up a forwarding service in the USA that I can ship your lipo's to that service?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:22 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined May 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Thank you Gary.

Am i to assume that if I set up a forwarding service in the USA that I can ship your lipo's to that service?
That would be up to the arrangements you make with that forwarding service. They would be ones to let you know what they can and can't ship to you. I would advise you research and contact one of them for more information on how their services work. On our end, we can process orders for Lipo batteries as long as a shipping address (in this case, the forwarding service company's address) is within the continental 48 states of the United States.

We provide our services up to the point of delivery to the designated shipping address, which in your case would be the forwarding service (the date of arrival that that service would also be considered the arrival date by us for services such as warranties, replacements, etc.)

A quick google search showed a few promising hits. For your convenience, I've relinked the search results here: https://www.google.com/search?sugexp...e+us+to+canada
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
It seems this regulation applies to USPS. Can you still ship lipos via UPS or another carrier?

Also wondering if you can't ship lipo batteries internationally, can you ship RTF helis and other RTR RC vehicles that include a lipo battery in the box? If there is no reasonable alternative to ship these batteries and kits it will really hurt the international RC community who like to order online.

I really hope this gets sorted out soon because I was just getting into helis and wanted to order a 6ch heli!
Thrillhouse is offline Find More Posts by Thrillhouse
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:05 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
The international shipping of lipo and lipo products (lap tops, heli's with lipos) only applies to USPS, primarily as USPS often use commercial airlines for the air component of the freight. And although all our laptops, mobile phones etc contain lipos, they have deemed this transportation of lipo battery products to be banned.

All other form of commercial carriers, UPS, fedex, etc, have no issues at this time as they use freight/ cargo specific air carriers.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:03 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined May 2012
52 Posts
@Thrillhouse & @bigroger

At the moment, we do not have an option to ship internationally by another carrier. We are keeping that option in consideration if the USPS situation does not have a clear resolution, but currently due to costs and other regulatory barriers, it is not a very fiscally viable option both for us, as well as for you all as the customers. If there are any updates, we'll be sure to post them.

@Thrillhouse

You are still welcome to purchase RTF RCs! As long as the order does not consist of individual batteries by themselves, we can ship those internationally as well as by air (for those of you in United States wishing to use expedited shipping).
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:43 PM
SE Alaska
Joined May 2010
6 Posts
Why are you including Alaska and Hawaii? We are not international and I have spoken to other vendors that assured me these 2 states are not included in the ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro_Gary View Post
@Thrillhouse & @bigroger

At the moment, we do not have an option to ship internationally by another carrier. We are keeping that option in consideration if the USPS situation does not have a clear resolution, but currently due to costs and other regulatory barriers, it is not a very fiscally viable option both for us, as well as for you all as the customers. If there are any updates, we'll be sure to post them.

@Thrillhouse

You are still welcome to purchase RTF RCs! As long as the order does not consist of individual batteries by themselves, we can ship those internationally as well as by air (for those of you in United States wishing to use expedited shipping).
KL0RG is online now Find More Posts by KL0RG
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:17 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined May 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL0RG View Post
Why are you including Alaska and Hawaii? We are not international and I have spoken to other vendors that assured me these 2 states are not included in the ban.
The reason is because the ban is on Air based transportation (please note exhibit 10.20.8 on the USPS link I provided in a previous response for part mentioning: "Without the equipment they operate (individual batteries)"). Because USPS transports freight by air to Alaska and Hawaii along with international locations, the ban is all inclusive for locations where air transport is used.

Out of curiosity, might I inquire on who these other two vendors are? It is possible their primary shipping location is located outside the United States, so the ban would not enforced on them (example: Hobbyking).
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:23 PM
SE Alaska
Joined May 2010
6 Posts
The problem I have with this is that USPS Priority mail and First class mail are also transported by air within the lower 48 so that would mean you can't really ship say from west coast to east coast if you go by the no air transportation rule.
What you guys need to do is set up for USPS Parcel post. It takes longer but is all ground based so the rule would not apply and we could still get great batteries at an affordable price.

I would prefer not to name the vendors here but they are located in the U.S. and ship from these locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro_Gary View Post
The reason is because the ban is on Air based transportation (please note exhibit 10.20.8 on the USPS link I provided in a previous response for part mentioning: "Without the equipment they operate (individual batteries)"). Because USPS transports freight by air to Alaska and Hawaii along with international locations, the ban is all inclusive for locations where air transport is used.

Out of curiosity, might I inquire on who these other two vendors are? It is possible their primary shipping location is located outside the United States, so the ban would not enforced on them (example: Hobbyking).
KL0RG is online now Find More Posts by KL0RG
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:29 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined May 2012
52 Posts
@KL0RG

Thanks for the recommendation! I will bring suggest it to our shipping department in the next meeting. In regards to west->east and east->west coast shipments, we're know that air is used as well for continental deliveries, but the post office is allowing shipments to go out within the 48 continental states whereas shipments to Alaska and Hawaii have been ordered to stop (what I assume is they automatically designate battery shipments to ground transport on their end whereas with Hawaii, Alaska, and international, they cannot pick and choose).

If any further developments arise I will be sure to notify you all. For now, I apologize for the inconvenience and I ask for your patience. We too would like to be able to get batteries out to you guys!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:43 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Nitro Gary,
I'm all set up now with a cargo forwarder in the CA area,Shipitto, who have verified they can forward lipos to Australia, via non-USPS methods.

The question is, do I have to do anything special with my order apart from the CA delivery address for the lipos? As in some type of re-validation or something?

I'll be paying via Pay pal as previously.