SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,866 Posts
Well today I went out to the field again and messed with my engine for like an hour. Never did get it running completely right. I've changed the high end and low end mix a lot in both directions and am pretty confused now. What it was doing basically when I started is it would start right up every time, seem to idle just fine, seem to run up just fine, but then every time I'd go back to idle it would quit. Again start.. it will idle forever.. but give it throttle then go back down to idle and it would quit every time.
The engine felt hotter than usual too and since its still pretty new, and on the advice of others there I richened it a lot to where I could see excess fuel splattering out of the exhaust. That seemed to help somewhat with going back to idle, but it would still quit very unexpectedly when going all the way down.. and I'm not trying to get a super low idle or anything, just trying to get back down to the same idle it holds forever on initially starting. I tried messing with the low end mix in both directions and leaning (unscrewing the screw to let in more air in) seemed to help but then my glow plug driver died at that point. I've tried about 3 different glow plugs now, one which was brand new today. It was suggested to me that I should use higher than 10% nitro, which is what I've been using and have almost finished a gallon of. As far as I know this engine has probably at most 2 gallons of glow through it.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:10 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
Did you try going 1 heat range hotter on the glow plug?

Ray
Nav_Aids is offline Find More Posts by Nav_Aids
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,871 Posts
Speaking of, "light engines", I was an expert at using an OTDR

It's been so hot here I haven't gotten back to the Saito 1.50, I installed this same ignition system on an OPS 30 MAXI, it should have been a good gas candidate due to its needle bearing rod but alas it ran really hot. It had sparse cooling fins.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:23 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR View Post
Speaking of, "light engines", I was an expert at using an OTDR

It's been so hot here I haven't gotten back to the Saito 1.50, I installed this same ignition system on an OPS 30 MAXI, it should have been a good gas candidate due to its needle bearing rod but alas it ran really hot. It had sparse cooling fins.
That seems unusual as the OPS MAXI 30cc engine looks to have lots of cooling fins as they originally designed it for enclosed cowl scale plane applications with more limited air cooling. I have read about a number of other fellows converting the OPS 30cc Maxi to gas and spark ignition and they haven't complained about it. So it has me wondering if something else could have been causing the problem.
When you compare it to the MVVS, Evo, Mark or Moki engines like it, it looks like it has lots more cooling fins on it than those other engines have.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,871 Posts
You may be correct Earl, I used a one to a million lube called Optima and to this day wished I had added some castor, that my have cooled it considerably. That is one engine I wish I had back along with the OPS 1.20 fourstroke.

The 1.20 fourstroke had an interesting lube system, you flew with the crankcase plugged and drained the crankcase at the end of the flying day. There was a hidden tube that ran up the back of the engine and it carried blow by oil up to the DOHC, it was a simple system that worked great. The oil pooled in a pseudo sump hole and the cam lobes dipped into it.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Last edited by I TOBOR; Jul 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav_Aids View Post
Did you try going 1 heat range hotter on the glow plug?

Ray
Hadn't even thought about that. I don't know much about glow plugs. The last one I tried was a brand new O.S. #8 though.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:05 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
i figure id strat this thread to help other people just so they can ask questions and get answers about ANY engine. so talk it up.

question 1 what is the GAS equivelinent to a .61 nitro?
As a generalization, an equivalent gas engine is:

(Glow_Size/30)*5 = GAS in cc. So a .61 glow is a 10cc gas.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:30 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,866 Posts
Well I tried my engine again with brand new fuel and after one run up failure and slight enrichment of idle mixture, it ran like a top for the rest of the day, woohooo!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:57 AM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,567 Posts
hey does anyone know a good carb for a magnum .53 2 stroke engine?
cale10 is online now Find More Posts by cale10
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:06 AM
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
As a generalization, an equivalent gas engine is:

(Glow_Size/30)*5 = GAS in cc. So a .61 glow is a 10cc gas.
A .61 glow is a 10cc glow as well .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:31 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
keep that glow fuel sealed. It picks up water out of the air. once it get some water in it it is worthless.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
keep that glow fuel sealed. It picks up water out of the air. once it get some water in it it is worthless.
Yeah, I've got a filler cap thing on my new bottle so I don't have to keep it open to the air at all. This guy at the LHS told me that you should never leave glow fuel sitting on top of concrete, cause it will somehow absorb water through from the concrete, or something? Sounds crazy but I am not going to leave it on the garage floor!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,547 Posts
another old wives tale.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:49 PM
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,766 Posts
Not really ,

Plastic jugs vary a bit in quality and denisity . I have personally seen fuel with tell-tale , moisture indicating dye positively show moisture contamination . I had left a few plastic jugs on the garage floor over winter , at the same time I had cases of the same fuel , from the same batch on a wooden shelf ^ feet above the floor that showed no signs of contamination .

Not to say this is a universal problem but I no longer store fuel on the floor in plastics .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,547 Posts
And I have seen just the opposite. I bought 60 gallons of Hobby Shack White Lightening years ago. It has been stored under my basement stairs sitting on a concrete floor since I bought it. Hobby People hasn't been Hobby Shack for at least ten years and this fuel is older than that. Runs as well as it did the day I bought it.

What fuel has tell tale, moisture indicating dye?
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy