HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:28 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
So, I took apart my tank today, and found that the vent tube brass was discolored, and actually there was soot/exhaust residue on the top of the tank where the vent was pointing. Is that anything to worry about? I know back pressure from the exhaust helps push fuel to the carb but in my inexperience am wondering if discoloration on the vent tube and top of tank is an indicator of running to rich or lean?
Also noticed some tiny grains of... something floating around in the drop of fuel left in the tank. Washed it out with water and am letting it fully evaporate. In addition, fuel filter had what I thought was some kind of residue on the filter, but wasn't totally sure it wasn't just excess fuel sticking to it making it look opaque in some places against the light. I switched it with a new filter I haven't used much, its filter looks completely pristine still. Am debating whether to go out to the field still today for testing.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:09 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,477 Posts
I don't actually install a filter in the tank,anymore,but I put some on the outside where they're accessible.
I use one in the fill line,one at the carb,and one in the muffler pressure line.

The dirt you see at the muf.pres.line is just normal combustion by- products....not a lot to worry about there.

I see that creamy substance in a lot of chainsaws,weed whackers,etc..It develops from the fuel,I believe.

Those little flecks of dirt may be from your storage container,or deteriorating lines or even the fuel pump.-which is why I moved my filters to where they're easy to change.

At the first sign of inconsistent running,I check the filters....that's where the problem usually is now.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I don't actually install a filter in the tank,anymore,but I put some on the outside where they're accessible.
I use one in the fill line,one at the carb,and one in the muffler pressure line.

The dirt you see at the muf.pres.line is just normal combustion by- products....not a lot to worry about there.

I see that creamy substance in a lot of chainsaws,weed whackers,etc..It develops from the fuel,I believe.

Those little flecks of dirt may be from your storage container,or deteriorating lines or even the fuel pump.-which is why I moved my filters to where they're easy to change.

At the first sign of inconsistent running,I check the filters....that's where the problem usually is now.
Yeah I guess I should have mentioned my (one between tank and carb) fuel filter is on the outside as well, no cowl on the Pete n Poke either which is good cause it is my first glow engine plane. Didn't realize that some people use more than one (at least on a 2 cycle). That filter was only on for maybe five 10oz gas tanks worth of fuel though, so I wouldn't think it would normally get dirty that fast. Either way, hopefully everything is running reliably again when I put it back together with new fuel lines and filter... and checking all engine the screws for tightness. Good to hear the discoloration in the tank is normal.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:00 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,480 Posts
sdfgjstrurtuartuETNB 34et45n7m 76izae 5y7634y7 4mry7M erytyuierymery6nar5tnARTU MSTUMTUSRYUAQ457 56856 8M W568 GFHJUSGFJ457m dghj
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:01 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,480 Posts
dfgner6hq345j6uhjtyurtyusrtu
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:01 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,480 Posts
Yay i got the 200th post on my own thread!!!! Yay!!!!!:d:d:d:d:d
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:33 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
611 Posts
I only filter the fuel before it reaches the tank and none on the airplane itself .Its easy to introduce air leaks that way and stay away from the valves on the side of the plane ( not the fuel dots the other thingys ) In over 7yrs of playing with these things Ive only had carb debris prob. twice .A three line tank is better than a two line but dont worry about that either . Im more concerned with the dust and crap that goes in with the air charge , Black stains from the exhaust presure line is normal . Cheers the pope
the pope is offline Find More Posts by the pope
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:24 AM
Whatever works well .
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,047 Posts
I used to pressurize my fuel can to fill the tank in the plane (small bicycle type pump). Found it to be a very poor method . When you take in to consideration how much more crud and moisture you are pumping into the fuel can it is no surprise that fuel contamination can become a problem .

Got away from that many years ago and fuel contamination is a thing of the past .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the pope View Post
I only filter the fuel before it reaches the tank and none on the airplane itself .Its easy to introduce air leaks that way and stay away from the valves on the side of the plane ( not the fuel dots the other thingys ) In over 7yrs of playing with these things Ive only had carb debris prob. twice .A three line tank is better than a two line but dont worry about that either . Im more concerned with the dust and crap that goes in with the air charge , Black stains from the exhaust presure line is normal . Cheers the pope
What I've actually been doing thus far is fueling through the same filter that goes to the carb by detaching the line where to goes into the carb and plugging it into my fuel pump. I keep wondering whether I'm possibly putting debris that might be in the filter back into the fuel tank, since the filter instructions specify which end is supposed to be from the tank, and I'm doing it backwards when fueling. Even if dirt was getting back to the tank though, it would just get filtered out again when being sucked back into the carb. I definitely will keep using the tank to carb filter though since exhaust by products and whatever other dirt obviously do get into the tank and I don't want them in my carb. Might put another filter in the line of my pump when fueling too.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:15 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
What I've actually been doing thus far is fueling through the same filter that goes to the carb by detaching the line where to goes into the carb and plugging it into my fuel pump.
This is not good practice. You could see debris from the fuel jug end up in the carb side of the filter and then directly into the carb while running. I always fill on the tank side of the filter when present.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,739 Posts
I am another who uses no filters on the plane and no magic refuelers either.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:00 PM
Whatever works well .
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,047 Posts
Bad me, I do use a filter at the carb , on the plane . It is a Sullivan filter and easy to see what is going on . Nothing magic about the fuelers . I use fuel dots with all the YS engines and whatever works for non YS engines .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Yeah I should really fuel through my vent line not the carb line actually, and use a filter in the line coming out of the fuel container too. Soon as this day is over and tomorrow starts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:43 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Yeah I should really fuel through my vent line not the carb line actually, and use a filter in the line coming out of the fuel container too. Soon as this day is over and tomorrow starts
Hi there If you put one of your filters as close as possible to the end of line so to speak any crap whether it be from the pump ,fuel or fuel lines and whatever is most likely to be caught , also have a filter on the fuel line inside the fuel jug like a clunk filter. This is all on the refueling set up and not the plane. It easy to worry about stuff that most likely will never cause you any grief and this is one of them .Sometimes geezers at the club like to lead newcommers up the garden path with meaningless drival ( it makes them feel important ) By the time any probs which may never arise by the way happens youll be experieced and keen enough to pull the carb apart and fix it yourself .Dont worry about filling from the carb line , I do it all the time on my planes where the engine hangs out in the breeze , Cheers the pope
the pope is offline Find More Posts by the pope
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:58 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,730 Posts
I put a filter on my refueling station. So when I full up the fuel tank any crud is caught by the filter. Then when I empty the fuel tank after a day of flying, it flushes out the filter too. Every now and then I run the fuel container down to empty and flush it out to remove the crud that might have accumulated there. Thus I don't normally need a filter on the airplane's engine.

The first time I go to use a new fuel tank, etc, I fill the fuel tank and empty it a couple of times (without the fuel filter when emptying). Then I am all set to go.

Some fuel filters tend to restrict the fuel flow a little bit and sometimes that affects a engine too much, especially if the engine is rather marginal on fuel draw to start with.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jul 29, 2012 at 09:44 AM.