HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:19 PM
mahoganyfan
United States, NJ, Atlantic City
Joined Nov 2010
626 Posts
Question
Tippecanoe T37

Hello,does anyone have an opinion about the Tippecanoe t37.I am new to sailboating and was wondering what some of you guys thought of their sailboats.I have built a couple of mahogany runabouts before so the build I think I can handle.It seems like a great deal for the kit $265.00 for a kit that includes servos and a radio.All I think I need to supply is varnish which I have plenty of.Any comments or suggestions appreciated.
californiakid is offline Find More Posts by californiakid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:43 AM
God made wind for sailors
United States, FL, Summerfield
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
I came close to buying a T-37 but opted for a Nirvana instead, also $265.00, not that the 37 is a bad boat, but I just didn't want to get into building right now. From all that I can tell it is a find boat if built right. It is a hard chine flat bottom boat with a big deep keel and lots of sail area and they are fairly fast. If you want to race with other people make sure that there are other t37s in your area otherwise you sail mostly alone. I sail mostly alone and on occasion I sail with the club around my home that sails Soling 1 meter boats.

It depends on just what you want out of your sailing experience: racing or pleasure. There are some clubs that have open class racing and that can be fun and challenging. So, in the end, it's your decision on what to do. If you are new to RC sailing stud all the boats and especially those in your local clubs
BudE. is offline Find More Posts by BudE.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:16 PM
N. Carolina
Midland, North Carolina
Joined Oct 2009
19 Posts
I built the T37 and it was a great learning exsperence. The instruction are great and easy to follow. The kit comes with everything you need and you can upgrade the deck with mongony strips if you so desire. Mine is on the web page under owners pictures titled North Carolina and it is two tone green called Summer Mint. If you get stuck with the build the designer Will always takes your calls and is very helpfull. I'm one of those guys who doesn't have anyone to race but I do have my own pond and a grat place to relax and learn to sail. At this time I'm building the T47 schooner and it also is a fun boat to build and maybe over the 4th of July I will complete it and put her in the wind. If you need help send me a PM.
TinyDancer is offline Find More Posts by TinyDancer
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:18 AM
Miami, Fl
Joined Sep 2003
57 Posts
Tiny do you have a post on the t47 biuld?
jucava is offline Find More Posts by jucava
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:44 AM
N. Carolina
Midland, North Carolina
Joined Oct 2009
19 Posts
Sorry, but I do not. I always say I'm going to but then I get to far along and forget. If there is anything I can help with send me a PM and we can get together. At this time I have been working with dyes to change my white sails to the color of the tanbark sails and I happy to say I think we have got it.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, MD, Montgomery Village
Joined Dec 2011
14 Posts
First time builder

I am a first time builder a rc sailboat, I use to sail real boat not to make them, so this T37 is a chalenge. The only problem I encounter is the varnishing of the deck. I finish all the varnish send with the boat by Will or I use it too much or not enough. I was never happy with the result and sanded again to bare wood. now I bought a Minwax stain and will put the minwax warnish. I hope I will have a nice finish finally. For this last part It desperate me a little bit.
lego34 is offline Find More Posts by lego34
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:41 AM
N. Carolina
Midland, North Carolina
Joined Oct 2009
19 Posts
I did my T37 with varnish but it took way too many coats and sanding. I now start by sealing it with thined Z-finishing resin. Now I build up good clear coat and finish it with min wax. If you go to M.A.C.K boats web site and see the builds of some of their boat you will have great instruction on how they get those great finished on their boats.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:02 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
496 Posts
I built the T37 as a T37x(Will lengthened a T37 to a one meter for me). and it was a very enjoyable build. There are only 5 parts and you have the hull built and then it is a fast build to a finished boat. As stated in earlier post it will take longer to apply the finish to the hull. It is a nice sailing boat and I was able to hold my own against the one meters that were sailing at that time, not beating them but staying up with them.
Since I love the look of varnished wood I put 6 coats of varnish on it with light sanding between coats and she looks great. She sits on a hanger in the living room where my wife demanded that I put it(bless her heart). I would recommed a T37 to anyone that is thinking about building a boat, in fact I just received a T50MOD to build durning my recovering from knee replacement and can't wait for my wife to clesn off the kitchen island so that I can get started. A couple of non sailors wanted to see the finished boat and they just love the looks and made several comments that unlike fiberglass boats the wooden hull of the T37 seemed to have soul almost like something that was alive.
I posted a couple of pictures of her on the RC Sailboat pictures post.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:29 PM
mahoganyfan
Joined Nov 2010
626 Posts
Tippecanoe sailboat T37

Thanks guys for all the input.I ordered it the other day from Will and it should be hear soon
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Funny, I just ordered mine!
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:27 AM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
496 Posts
I know that both of you will enjoy building tht T37. Like I said in my earlier post the T37 is a easy and very enjoyable build. You will have the hull framed up the first day then an easy day to build the keel and rudder, before you know it the boat will be built and you will be ready for your first sail. Today I just finished planking up and expoying the hull for the T50 that I am building, tomorrow the carbon fiberreinforcing strips go on.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:41 PM
mahoganyfan
Joined Nov 2010
626 Posts
Build Log

Are there any build logs of the T37 on R/CGOUPS?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:24 AM
N. Carolina
Midland, North Carolina
Joined Oct 2009
19 Posts
I haven't ever seen one and I built my T37 a few years ago. But if you have any questions send me an PM and I will get a phone number to you for support. I just finished my T47 schooner last night and hope to put her in the wind this weekend, if we have a breeze on the on the pond. Here lately the only wind was just before the sky opened up and dumped.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Yes. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=958236&page=2
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace