HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:06 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
United States, NV, Silver Springs
Joined Mar 2007
1,940 Posts
Discussion
Reno, Nevada, Indoor Flying

I am talking with a local business about using their facility for flying indoors. They cater to indoor sports like flag football, soccer, volleyball, etc., but they are open to other types of use. I would say field size is equivelant to a soccer field cut down the middle lenghwise and surounded by netting to contain activities within the each field...probably not a place for rookeis. Would be perfect for indoor 3D, electric heli, Slow Sticks, micro aircraft and even Air Hoggs. I would like to know if there is anyone interest in flying at this type of location.

There are a few different options to discuss to include individuals showing up ad-hoc and flying on vacant fields, one or more people calling ahead to reserve a field short notice and regularly scheduled fly dates/times.

There will likely be a discussion of liability and AMA membership may be a requirement.

Their current pricing is around $60 per hour per field but it varies depending on the activity. I was quoted that an individual may pay $5 for a walk-on game. Bottom line is that this location is in business to lease their activity fields and they aren't going to allow flying for free. I used to fly every Sunday night in a small church gyn in Texas and it was always a $5 fee for the event and never a shortage of pilots to fill the airspace.

Please respond with pros, cons and your interest and pass this message along to your freinds and clubs.

JJ
johnorama is offline Find More Posts by johnorama
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:28 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
780 Posts
John,
Count me in, I have always wanted a place to fly indoors when the wind is too much or the weather does not permit it. You find it and they will come.
Tom
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,940 Posts
FYI, I am talking with the owner of Home Field Athletics today at 4PM to discuss indoor flying possibilities. I will be discussing ad-hoc "walk-on" flying and scheduled group flying. Issues to hammer out will be cost, liability and safety/organization/marshalling during flying.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:30 PM
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
780 Posts
Awesome John, keep us informed. As far as rules we can use the AMA's rules and everyone would need to be an AMA member, which I think is a very good idea anyways.
Thank you for your efforts,
Tom
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:29 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,940 Posts
Doh! Last week I had to cancel for work travel and he cancelled on my today. Rescheduled for next Tuesday.

AMA is likely a good solution, but it may take some education on the part of the facility. Their employees won't have a clue about AMA and general flying protocols and safety procedures. If you can't get past the front desk without an AMA card I would assume that would eliminate a lot of the pilot issues but no guarantee.

Worst case scenario is some teenager is manning the front desk and allows a few knuckle-heads to come in and fly on a walk-in basis and they digress to unsafe flying. This could damage property or get someone hurt really quick.

One answer is to only fly when a qualified safety observer is present and that person has the authority of management to take action to remove risky behavior. Not sure how to implement this.

I think I will contact the District X President and ask for his input.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:46 AM
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
780 Posts
Been out of town myself, but I think checking with our local District X representative is probably the best start at this time.
As far as next Tuesday goes if the meeting is in the evening I am more than willing to accompany you for the initial meeting with the facility owner/manager.
Let me know,
Tom L.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:46 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,940 Posts
I had a short visit with Home Field Atheletics and did a flight test/demo with my Slow Stick. They are open to the idea of indoor flying and more discussions will follow. The next likely step will be to establish one or more market tests to identify interest within the community.

The Slow Stick flying did not go well. The flying area is only 50' wide and about 150' long. It was not wide enough for safe turns. This site is more suited to small 3D flyers (with good pilots), small slow flyers like the Ember or smaller, small helicotpers and REALLY slow flyers.

I am continuing to look for other locations. A large indoor gymnasium/basketball court would be ideal. Even half-basketball courts found at small schools and churches work well.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Sep 2011
53 Posts
Hi Guys, just came across this discussion and count me in. I'm a member of the Reno Radio Control Club and fly electrics. I have a Alpha 450, T-34 and converted Alpha 60 that I fly at our field.
Have a Blade MX2 that I would like to fly in a larger area then our livingroom. It would also be enjoyable to fly with other like minded people. I'm tired of talking to myself while I fly circles in the livingroom.
OldGuyRC is offline Find More Posts by OldGuyRC
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:46 PM
Faster!
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Oct 2004
1,139 Posts
I might be interested as well... I'll need to get a kitchen pass though!
Joshua Wesley is offline Find More Posts by Joshua Wesley
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:37 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,940 Posts
I have not located a suitable indoor flying location. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:30 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,940 Posts
Update: I have a lead on two Reno locations for possible indoor flying. The first is somewhere on 4th street and it is the location where large structrures have been built for Burning Man. The owner apparently flies his AR Drone in there. I expect more info this week.

The second location is a former school, I think it is on Vassar St. Supposedly it has been handed over to a non-profit organization who now provide some sort of services and activities for kids. It is reported that it does have an indoor gymnasium which is mostly unused.

I will be working to setup meetings with both places and see what can be made available. Please chime in here if you are interested in indoor flying and include what type of aircraft you would be flying.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:51 PM
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
780 Posts
John,
Very good news, I am interested and I would be flying electric helis up to a 450 sized bird also some small electric planes less than 24" wingspan and maybe a small quad or two.
Tom
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:57 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
John,
Very good news, I am interested and I would be flying electric helis up to a 450 sized bird also some small electric planes less than 24" wingspan and maybe a small quad or two.
Tom
I didn't know that you were into quads, now. Are you building them or buying them?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:54 PM
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
780 Posts
I have a KK board from HobbyKing, 1 KK board I built and an Arduino powered one. Nothing really of note just wanted to play.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:35 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,940 Posts
Very cool.