HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
i couldnt tell you to be honest. it has no markings. i cannot even remember which site i bought it from. The one i swapped out, which was crap, was from RC Aerodyne.

Ive had two good flights with my UH-60 now, apart from having to increase my cyclic gain on my beast x, and reduce my tail gyro gain, she flies well. Ive had to go back to 2x 6 cell 6000mah purely to get her balanced. the 800 or so grams of both those batterys evens out the tail heaviness and it acts and looks a lot better now. i would prefer to reduce weight because she is so damn heavy, and flies like shes super heavy, i really have to ride her every step of the way because if a gust of wind comes along you definitely are kept on your toes. i like to fly slowly, and quite close to the ground too so ive definitely had to change my underwear a couple of times.

i will post a vid.
JayNZ is offline Find More Posts by JayNZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, WA, Steilacoom
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNZ View Post
i couldnt tell you to be honest. it has no markings. i cannot even remember which site i bought it from. The one i swapped out, which was crap, was from RC Aerodyne.

Ive had two good flights with my UH-60 now, apart from having to increase my cyclic gain on my beast x, and reduce my tail gyro gain, she flies well. Ive had to go back to 2x 6 cell 6000mah purely to get her balanced. the 800 or so grams of both those batterys evens out the tail heaviness and it acts and looks a lot better now. i would prefer to reduce weight because she is so damn heavy, and flies like shes super heavy, i really have to ride her every step of the way because if a gust of wind comes along you definitely are kept on your toes. i like to fly slowly, and quite close to the ground too so ive definitely had to change my underwear a couple of times.

i will post a vid.
What was it doing that caused you to increase swash gain? I have been decreasing my swash gain in order to get rid of a small wobble during strong winds...
josereyes is offline Find More Posts by josereyes
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josereyes View Post
What was it doing that caused you to increase swash gain? I have been decreasing my swash gain in order to get rid of a small wobble during strong winds...
Hi Jose,

take a look at this vid, i decreased the swashgain, and the wobble you can see in this video got worse, i then increased it, and it got a lot better, but also, it was on a different day with much less wind.

is this the same wobble you get?

Blackhawk Test Flight (4 min 5 sec)
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:30 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
I got the same wobble on my Jet Ranger, which is a standard FBL Align head, and the correction for it was to put soft dampeners in it. Once that was done, the heli settled right down and flew great. You can also add a lot of exponential as a trial to see if that will help. What I find interesting is that the ridgid rotor on my AS350 didn't do anything of the sort, always keeping solid on the hover and in forward flight, so this is somewhat of a puzzle. Out of curiosity, is your head a true ridgid head or does it have individual dampening on the spindles? If it does, maybe some softer dampeners can be ordered to replace those on the head. Take care.

Don

PS: I also had a similar wobble on a standard 700 and increased the elevator gain on the installed 3G Align system. Funny part is that when it was changed to a stand-alone BeastX, the wobble did not appear with stock settings.
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Last edited by Keyrigger; Sep 14, 2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:42 AM
United States, WA, Steilacoom
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jose,

take a look at this vid, i decreased the swashgain, and the wobble you can see in this video got worse, i then increased it, and it got a lot better, but also, it was on a different day with much less wind.

is this the same wobble you get?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ0b4...ReXNv1RUCsLNAQ
Wow, I can really see that wobble... and flying tail heavy... mine is a little different in that is side to side and very minimal in comparison... if you look at the video you will notice it, at some points of the video ... it does takes off and flights forward very good, it was very windy the day I took the video... it could have been that cause it wasn't doing it another day when it was a lot more calm.. talke a quick look at this video and you will see it... not always but comes and goes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1RacPJBYta0
josereyes is offline Find More Posts by josereyes
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
Jose Reyes
Steilacoom, WA
Joined Feb 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josereyes View Post
Wow, I can really see that wobble... and flying tail heavy... mine is a little different in that is side to side and very minimal in comparison... if you look at the video you will notice it, at some points of the video ... it does takes off and flights forward very good, it was very windy the day I took the video... it could have been that cause it wasn't doing it another day when it was a lot more calm.. talke a quick look at this video and you will see it... not always but comes and goes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1RacPJBYta0
Is anyone else having issues editing your own threads??
JoseReyes69 is offline Find More Posts by JoseReyes69
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
I can see the wobble in your hughes jose, i think that is typical of a 5 blade head on a windy day, as mine does exactly the same, but only when windy. iyts a lot better now with the spinblades on it too, u can hover solidly hands free in a blustery 15-20kt wind and she will sit there rock solid, yours looks to be the same.

As for my blackhawk, there really are no dampers on my head, just 2.5mm wide alloy shims/spacers. I have been supplied rubber "o" rings and slim shims from the manufacturer, but then the bladegrip slips about on the feathering shaft so im a bit lost on that one. theres nowhere to actually put propper dampers like you'd find in a 3d head.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:50 PM
Jose Reyes
Steilacoom, WA
Joined Feb 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
I can see the wobble in your hughes jose, i think that is typical of a 5 blade head on a windy day, as mine does exactly the same, but only when windy. iyts a lot better now with the spinblades on it too, u can hover solidly hands free in a blustery 15-20kt wind and she will sit there rock solid, yours looks to be the same.

As for my blackhawk, there really are no dampers on my head, just 2.5mm wide alloy shims/spacers. I have been supplied rubber "o" rings and slim shims from the manufacturer, but then the bladegrip slips about on the feathering shaft so im a bit lost on that one. theres nowhere to actually put propper dampers like you'd find in a 3d head.
Thank you for verifying my wobble concern. That being said I feel better knowing that is a 5 blade issue under windy conditions. Your Blackhawk does look great... The way it hovers like the real thing... When I had the plug-n-play head from tfmodel/ smartmodel I did not experience that type of wobble on my EC145 600 size, but I suspect my was a lot lighter than the Blackhawk....
JoseReyes69 is offline Find More Posts by JoseReyes69
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:04 PM
Leopoldsburg, Belgium
Joined Jul 2006
225 Posts
You are using spinblades on the Blackhawk?
I had a similar wobble on my Ecureuil with spinblades, tried just about every setting in the beast x, without result.. Swapped blades putting on rotortech blades which are 40gr heavier each...problem solved..
Strangly your problem got worse when you reduced the gain in the beast, in my case it got better but overall stability was gone..therefore i put heavier blades...

greets,

Didier
didier n is offline Find More Posts by didier n
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier n View Post
You are using spinblades on the Blackhawk?
I had a similar wobble on my Ecureuil with spinblades, tried just about every setting in the beast x, without result.. Swapped blades putting on rotortech blades which are 40gr heavier each...problem solved..
Strangly your problem got worse when you reduced the gain in the beast, in my case it got better but overall stability was gone..therefore i put heavier blades...

greets,

Didier
Hi didier, Yeah i am, but im using 700mm size, which weigh 35g more than the 600 size spiblades, so i dont think that would be the problem, especially because i had 600 size spinblades on my apache, which i was using to replace the 85g tfmodel composite blades, and the spinblades ironed out ALL of my wobble. each model is different, and the blackhawk weight is pretty heavy, i think my pitch is too low, headspeed is too high, and cyclic gain was too low. Just waiting for a fine day so i can get to the airfield and try it out.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
I sent young from double-cats an email/video showing my space/damper issues, and he has advised me that the head i have is discontinued and an old version, and he is now sending me a replacement free of charge.

I didnt even buy my head from him direct. Double-cats.com folks. These guys really take care of the people using their products.

impressed.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:21 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
Now that's way cool.

Don
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:28 AM
Georgia
Joined May 2006
8 Posts
Trex 600 JayHawk V2

Scanned through the posts and did not see what I am looking for. Can anyone tell me where to put the tail servo for the Version 2 tail? It is the cable driven tail so boom comes off; which of course is where the servo is located. Trex 600 ESP
RCDXER is offline Find More Posts by RCDXER
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:48 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
You can mount a 550 tail servo mount in the rear of the chassis. You may need to install washers or make up a spacer if the frame is wider than the 550. This is going to take some planning and you will most likely need to rework where you currently have stuff in the frame. Your alternative is to mount the tail servo beside the chassis to the left or right of it in the body and make up some braces for a goldenrod pushrod to come off the boom and down to the servo. Take your time.

Don
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
Georgia
Joined May 2006
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
You can mount a 550 tail servo mount in the rear of the chassis. You may need to install washers or make up a spacer if the frame is wider than the 550. This is going to take some planning and you will most likely need to rework where you currently have stuff in the frame. Your alternative is to mount the tail servo beside the chassis to the left or right of it in the body and make up some braces for a goldenrod pushrod to come off the boom and down to the servo. Take your time.

Don
Thanks. It has a wood framework to put servo on but not sure where to place properly. Got version 3 instructions which tail is not as same as the version 2 which is what I have. Still trying to find them or a link.
RCDXER is offline Find More Posts by RCDXER