HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:02 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
JayNZ:

That's good that it was very close to the ground and no other damage occured. I had a goof-up with my AS350 where I installed the removable blade (the one removed for transport) backwards. The spool-up seems normal, but maybe a slightly different sound, until you add pitch. Then the world closes in on you as you see your heli pop off the ground like a 3D flyer holding his heli and letting it rip with a full pitch pump. The damage was limited to a ply pad I installed (broken loose by the impact with the ground), and some minor rubbing of the tail pitch slider and the doghouse front lip. You would never know that anything was damaged unless you were shown the spots. If you remove blades for transport, mark the bottom near the blade grip so you can visually see when you have them flipped. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Jul 2007
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNZ View Post
Hey all.

I spooled up the UH-60 yesterday as it was a beautiful sunny windless day, and just gave her a hover in the car port trying to work on COG issues. I had the side doors still shut from being stowed in the workshop and i think with the heat of the engine, the sun warming the fuse and no airflow, it caused my torque tube output gears to soften to the point where the teeth gave out and the cog shredded. luckily i was only hovering so bought her down without a hitch but damn that sucks.

luckily i have spares of all the required cogs/gears.

i guess this is the opportunity i needed to pull the mechs out and weather my fuse a little more.

note to self: if you have a uh-60 dark colored fuse it will get hot in sunny weather. fly with your side doors open.
RCA / SF will have a complete set of steel bevel gears coming month.
mpnemo is offline Find More Posts by mpnemo
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnemo View Post
RCA / SF will have a complete set of steel bevel gears coming month.
That sounds like a plan. Do you know if they will re-fit the UH60 extended vertical tail drive shaft with a bevel steel gear?
JayNZ is offline Find More Posts by JayNZ
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
I have done the unthinkable and added 450g of lead to the nose compartment in the uh-60 to try bring my COG forward.

Granted it's made the Heli sit correctly in the air now, but looks and behaves so damn heavy its crazy. and forget about flying her any kind of wind. she reacts really badly to wind.

Its more of a case of learning to fly and building confidence/trust in my machine back up again after so many damn issues. im very close. but do not like the weight issue. My tail now holds perfectly which is great.

She looked amazing in the air at the airfield today, But wasnt a pleasure to fly....YET.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:53 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNZ View Post
I have done the unthinkable and added 450g of lead to the nose compartment in the uh-60 to try bring my COG forward.

Granted it's made the Heli sit correctly in the air now, but looks and behaves so damn heavy its crazy. and forget about flying her any kind of wind. she reacts really badly to wind.

Its more of a case of learning to fly and building confidence/trust in my machine back up again after so many damn issues. im very close. but do not like the weight issue. My tail now holds perfectly which is great.

She looked amazing in the air at the airfield today, But wasnt a pleasure to fly....YET.
Jay,

You can think about using a Helicommand it will keep your heli horizontal automatic (if you want that he do that) and it will gives you peace of mind.
He corrects the heli but you still need to fly her.

And you can decide in how much he helps you or totally not as I do with a flip on the switch.
I don't use it till I panics I hit the switch to enable the HC than the unit takes over, so its programmed by me in my Apache.

I have also a Hughes 500 Tow devender and there I have programmed the HC that the amount off stick input gives the Helicommand more or less stabilization in the heli and I must say its feels still natural when flying around but when it becomes to hover wile coming high and nose in it gives me more time to adjust and peace of mind.

However its YOUR heli and its YOUR fun of flying and how you want to fly it.

But I love the benefits of the Helicommand.
I use three of them.

Remember you still need to fly her but it will be easier (in my case in my head).

As you may understand now, I will and shall use every electronic/mechanical device to help my flying experience, its up to each of us to find what works best.

Just my personal two cents,

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Last edited by Horseman; Aug 28, 2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Well today i took the uh-60 to the airfield and she flew well. even in a 10-15kt gusting wind. vibration issue solved, i had a bent torque tube. after replacing bearings in both the verticle torque drive, torque tube drive and smartmodel raised tail unit( on of the bearing casings inside the SM tail unit had completely popped open exposing the bearings, and on closer inspection, i think this was the cause of my chewed gears. i pulled out the torque drive and noticed it was pretty much poked. crazy.

the 450 grams of weight i added to the forehead fuse section has balanced out the heli well. i have slight tail control issues turning left, as in i dont really get the response im after, but right hand turns are now perfect. i will look closer at my geometry, but i think im 90% there.

when it is flying towards me, it looks so realistic and hulky, its just awesome.

soon i will have a video, and can put this build thread to bed.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Hello guys,

the helicopter looks very nice and fly great :-). Now I am finishing Aerodyne 600 Seahawk. I add the picture. For the real scale look I am searching the list of stencils (small technical signs) which are on the real helicopter. Are you somebody able help me with this? I add a picture of my plane with this type of stencils.

Many thanks

Radim (rkralik@grapo.cz)
grapo is offline Find More Posts by grapo
Old Apr 04, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Hi guys.

Here she is in flight:
RCAerodyne UH-60 BlackHawk MEDEVAC - Align T-rex600ESP (3 min 16 sec)

proud to own her.
Old Apr 04, 2013, 05:21 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts
Hi Jay,

Top video with great flying and you do not see its a heavy bird what its really is
Old May 17, 2013, 09:25 PM
Joined May 2013
1 Posts
hi jaynz can post pictures of how you put 6s lipo batteries inside the fuselage, thanks.
divisionbelarus is offline Find More Posts by divisionbelarus
Old May 18, 2013, 05:24 PM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
821 Posts
Nice video,just what scale is about,,,build,fly,enjoy..

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65
Old Jun 04, 2013, 05:34 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbelarus View Post
hi jaynz can post pictures of how you put 6s lipo batteries inside the fuselage, thanks.
sure, gimme a day or two.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Jun 2013
2 Posts
I have spent all day reading this thread. I have to say I am very impressed. I hardly get on RCG, but I was doing some research on this heli for my next build. I can't wait to get going on one of my own.

I will be bookmarking this thread to use for my own build. Thanks a lot Jay, Jan, Jose, and others that added to this. You have answered all my questions up to this point. I /know/ I will have more when I get started on mine.

I am also interested in pics of the insides.

Thanks,
Jimi
slimjimi09 is offline Find More Posts by slimjimi09
Old Aug 28, 2013, 04:52 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjimi09 View Post
I have spent all day reading this thread. I have to say I am very impressed. I hardly get on RCG, but I was doing some research on this heli for my next build. I can't wait to get going on one of my own.

I will be bookmarking this thread to use for my own build. Thanks a lot Jay, Jan, Jose, and others that added to this. You have answered all my questions up to this point. I /know/ I will have more when I get started on mine.

I am also interested in pics of the insides.

Thanks,
Jimi
Welkom Jimi on this form.

What you just point here is the reason (as far I concerns) that we have this forum, to learn from and inform each other how thinks can be done or solved.

And as you may know there are a lot of ways to solve technical problems wile building scale heli's and it up to the reader/builder what he is doing with that info.

And in some cases you can get a friendship what go's further then a few posts on a forum.

Kind regards,

Jan,
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:46 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Yes, welcome jimi, Glad this thread has helped, please dont hesitate to ask any questions. you should check out horsemans battle hawk build its very special! good luck!