HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:17 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
Just found this thread. I purchased a used partially built V2 Coast Guard Jayhawk and have just about completed the build. I purchased the smart model tail conversion kit and dumped the flex drive. Running a four blade head, two blade tail rotor and stabilized by Align 3GX. I'm gonna pass on the cockpit and extend the battery tray forward to help get CG without having to add a bunch of lead weight to this already heavy aircraft . I'm waiting on some graphics from Callie and plan to maiden her this weekend. I've been flying a 500 size MD500D with five blade head for several months now. I'll try to post some pics and vids soon. Everyone at my field loves to see a nice scale Heli in the air.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
nice, look forward to seeing your progress! feel free to thread jack with pics and updates.
JayNZ is offline Find More Posts by JayNZ
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:48 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
Here is my second flight with the Jayhawk. Not bad.
Eric's Coast Guard Jayhawk 2nd Flight (5 min 19 sec)
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:36 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
DoubleE:

The heli looks good but look into dropping the head speed down a lot from where you have it now. Something like 1600 to 1700 would sound and act perfect. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:40 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
That's funny because I had someone tach it at 1500 on 10s at 100% throttle.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
That's funny because I had someone tach it at 1500 on 10s at 100% throttle.
Headspeed sounds fine. motor pitch will obviously sound higher because its 500 size. Were you getting some dolphining into the wind? (bobbing up and down), ? might have been the camera.. i wouldnt dare take my 600 up in that kind of wind. its too heavy.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:18 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
It's actually a 600 size. It looks huge in my house or in the back of my SUV but ends up looking pretty small on video. Sweet looking heli and it definitely grabs everyone's attention at the field even though most people at the field can't stand heli's.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:47 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
It doesn't sound like 1500 rpm, that's why I am wondering. My AS350 runs at 1400, 1530 and 1650, and none of them have a sound that high. Could it be that your friend didn't change the blade count or was on a harmonic of the rpm? Or, could it be a lot of noise from a set of straight gears, as mine are the Mod1 angled set? Have another listen to mine as it takes off as that is set to 1650 rpm via the ESC and verified by a tach. Take care.

Don
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
It doesn't sound like 1500 rpm, that's why I am wondering. My AS350 runs at 1400, 1530 and 1650, and none of them have a sound that high. Could it be that your friend didn't change the blade count or was on a harmonic of the rpm? Or, could it be a lot of noise from a set of straight gears, as mine are the Mod1 angled set? Have another listen to mine as it takes off as that is set to 1650 rpm via the ESC and verified by a tach. Take care.

Don
Mine sounds similar to the coastguard model, i have the angle gear set also from RCA, but dont use their raised tail drive. my noise pitch decreased a lot when i moved to smartmodel. im also running 700 size blades on a 600 size heli, 550kv motor, you can hear it in the video i posted earlier in the thread. my headspeed is 1600rpm. 100rpm below the manufacturers guidelines. the only reason for this is lifting aprrox8kg with a decent pitch response requires a higher headspeed for response.

the only thing i can say is that the jump from idle up into idle up 1 is too great, heli sounds fine and is not struggling to achieve lift in idle up, so you dont really need such a large increase of throttle curve for idle up1, especially for a scale machine.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:46 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
I figured it out. Playing both side by side, they are nearly identical in rpm. What is different is the body the mechanics are place in with yours being a LOT larger giving off a completely different resonance and the same would apply to DoubleE's heli. Blades will also come into play here. Mine are the Century semi-symmetrical 600mm blades. Take care.

Don
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
I figured it out. Playing both side by side, they are nearly identical in rpm. What is different is the body the mechanics are place in with yours being a LOT larger giving off a completely different resonance and the same would apply to DoubleE's heli. Blades will also come into play here. Mine are the Century semi-symmetrical 600mm blades. Take care.

Don
that would explain it. mine are 700size 63mm chord scale blades, But im running the 2800watt 550kv scorpion, which is smaller in size and higher in pitch than my 3800watt 500kv hyperion. pretty much identical powertrains and mechanics in both yet the pitch on the UH-60 sounds like the headspeed is up around 2k. the tacometer does not lie, im sitting at a cool 1600rpm which is what i need for response on a 7.5 kilo bird.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Took her for a spin yesterday, I still had a slight wobble. so i increased my + pitch up to 10 degrees, and reduced my head gain, rather than increasing it, and voila, absolutely stable, unfortunately shes such a pig to fly due to being so damn tail heavy so im probably dropping down to 8 cell 5000mah as its a bit less weight, and adding the weight to the very front of the inner cockpit to try and even her out.

Ive also decided she needs to look more weathered and battle hardened so im going pull the mechanics out and weather the whole fuse.

ill update.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Hi all, i spent the morning at my vinyl cutter guys house with my son getting decals made up for his RC Yacht, kyosho seawind. (complete custom paint and decal job - hes a happy lad) and i could not resist the urge to get some military red cross decals made for the UH-60.

Now to yank the blades off, chuck the v2 double cats 4 blade head on, mask the windows etc, and time for a full weathering job. i want her to look beat up and battle weary. have some cool pics of medivac helo divisions from the web so will hopefuly be able to dust this bird up like shes been plucking wounded from hillsides in taliban infested mountain ranges along the Afghan/Pakistani boarder.

I should not joke about such things, but it gives peace of mind to know that if any of mine or my flying buddies helis go down out at the airfield, a super Six Medivac UH-60 will be airborne within minutes.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:11 PM
Jose Reyes
Steilacoom, WA
Joined Feb 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNZ View Post
Hi all, i spent the morning at my vinyl cutter guys house with my son getting decals made up for his RC Yacht, kyosho seawind. (complete custom paint and decal job - hes a happy lad) and i could not resist the urge to get some military red cross decals made for the UH-60.

Now to yank the blades off, chuck the v2 double cats 4 blade head on, mask the windows etc, and time for a full weathering job. i want her to look beat up and battle weary. have some cool pics of medivac helo divisions from the web so will hopefuly be able to dust this bird up like shes been plucking wounded from hillsides in taliban infested mountain ranges along the Afghan/Pakistani boarder.

I should not joke about such things, but it gives peace of mind to know that if any of mine or my flying buddies helis go down out at the airfield, a super Six Medivac UH-60 will be airborne within minutes.
That Blackhawk looks awesome How is she flying these days....
JoseReyes69 is offline Find More Posts by JoseReyes69
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseReyes69 View Post
That Blackhawk looks awesome How is she flying these days....
To be honest jose, like a big fat tail heavy pig. im not going to be able to fix this unless i either get rid of the scale cockpit and move my batteries right to the front, which i dont want to do, or add weight to the nose section in front of the scale cockpit, which i also dont want to do. its a heavy bird already.

I cant get the tail locked and smooth around turns, and coming out of a right hand turn, especially coming back into a headwind, the bird wants to elevate backwards, instead of pitching forwards like a heli with a correct COG would do. Its scary, and i dont like flying it....YET.

Ive leanred now after two quite advanced builds, and mods, to take my time, theres absolutely no rush, which is lucky as im overseas for the next couple of weekends.