SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:58 AM
Fl
Joined Apr 2003
276 Posts
Discussion
supra e pro vs pulsar??

hi all,

i am somewhat new to the glider scene...

i have a older graphite and mini graphite along with a quant...

i want to get something newer and bigger ..also maybe better for floating and having some lower speed fun...

I'm thinking maybe a supra pro e or a pulsar 3.6 or 3.2?

whats everyones thoughts pros/cons??

thanks

Larry
larryfl1 is offline Find More Posts by larryfl1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Supra Pro E.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
Fl
Joined Apr 2003
276 Posts
reason? also which version ?? seems like there are a few versions
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:23 PM
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Larry,

The Supra-e is an all around better ship. It will float but it can penetrate if need be. The Pulsar is fine, but it is a gasbag. If, down the road, you decide you'd like to compete in ALES it is definitely a better plane. I have had two Ava's (similar to the Pulsar) and could not get away from the loss of orientation problem some people have with poly ships. No issue with the Supra. And it may not be an issue with you, but if it is it can be quite nerve racking. Don't get me wrong, the Pulsar is a good plane. And if all you want to do is float and putter around the sky it is quite serviceable. As for which model, the Supra Pro - E will be lighter (but plenty strong). I hope this helps.

Preston
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:01 PM
Fl
Joined Apr 2003
276 Posts
whats the recommended power plant setup for the machine? anything else special?

i think i may bite the bullet and order one....
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:01 PM
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Talk to Barry at Kennedy Composites. He'll set you up with the whole deal. Here's a link to the page - motor, servo, etc., on the right.
http://www.kennedycomposites.com/suprae.htm
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:48 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,502 Posts
I had looked at the Supra before I bought my Pulsar 3.3 M RES and I couldn't justify the nearly double amount in cost for a sailplane. The Pulsar was almost $1000 for aircraft and all the gear. The Supra is going to be closer to $2000 finished with $1550 for plane, $300 something for motor,$150 for ESC,$350 for servos plus whatever little bits are needed. Both have Drela designed airfoils and are of similar construction. Not an easy descision between the two. Nothing against Kennedy and no disrepect for Supras or their pilots, but the lesser expensive bigger bucks sailplane won in my case. It's not a total dollar amount I considered but rather the value I felt I was getting for what I spent.

I am happy with my Pulsar and know it's not the do all ,end all soaring machine. I don't think the Pulsar is a gas bag, I've had real gas bags and while the Pulsar is a lighter conditions machine it not a complete sissyboy either.

Just another point of view.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:05 AM
Manchester, UK
Joined Feb 2009
283 Posts
Hi Larry

I've been flying a lightweight electric Supra in competitions for a couple of years and they are excellent machines. They do everything well and allow you to fly in a good range of windspeeds. I also recently bought an Avalon (big Ava with ailerons) - so very similar to 3.6 Pulsar - and was very pleased with it for the lower windspeed range. Ailerons definitely make spot landings somewhat easier. The Supra gets used more in competitions, but that may be because of our weather over here in the UK!

If you are only going to get one of these models for sport and competition flying then my personal recommendation would definitely be the Supra. You can keep the cost of the drivetrain down by using a HET 2W 25 motor with Kontronik 5.2:1 g/box on 4S pulling a 17" or 18" prop and it would be perfect for ALES competitions.

Enjoy flying

Skip
SkipT35 is offline Find More Posts by SkipT35
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:06 PM
Fl
Joined Apr 2003
276 Posts
with me having a 3.1 m graphite...never flown
a mini graphite

do we feel the supra will be very similar to the big graphite and overlap, overkill?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:37 PM
Fl
Joined Apr 2003
276 Posts
with me having a 3.1 m graphite...never flown and me being really just getting started in gliders....

is there a substantial enough difference between the 3.1 graphite and the supra to justify upgrading?

i do like the non removable nose on the supra...kind of don't ilke that on the graphite...

and if upgrading is the answer is a never flown 3.1 e graphite easily sellable??
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
my thoughts

Every model u have been considering is state of the art. For me what i finally did was flipped a coin between pulsar and supra. Pulsar won and i have a 3.6 and 3.2 version. Both are RES versions which further reduces weight , and complexity. With simple use of landing spoiler I can't imagine a better spot landing system. Good luck have fun. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:33 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by menksters View Post
Every model u have been considering is state of the art. For me what i finally did was flipped a coin between pulsar and supra. Pulsar won and i have a 3.6 and 3.2 version. Both are RES versions which further reduces weight , and complexity. With simple use of landing spoiler I can't imagine a better spot landing system. Good luck have fun. donnie
Three Pulsars at the contest yesterday, two RES 3.2M including mine and one full house 3.6M. One round we all three launched in same flight group, a beautiful sight seeing them head for the heavens, then find the juice and go full time. All three were in the top spots until last round wehn one crashed and mine had a motor ESC problem. I'm glad I went with mine and am still in love with her. In fact in about 1/2 hour she'll be in the big blue again. There's a good build thread here with much info on the setups, look it up and read. I learned a lot from the thread and it helped as she don't come with any manual or instructions.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,499 Posts
I like Pulsars. Have 3.2 both REF and aileron version. Now prefer
Poly Version, with the flaps. Also have 2m poly REF and 2m version with ailerons.

Big Purple Poly Pulsar is my favorite. Easy to fly, I am comfortable ranging it far away, good energy retention, for landing back at the field when wind is a bit gusty. The Poly Version is really quick to build too, just 3 servos
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Jul 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:12 PM
Fl
Joined Apr 2003
276 Posts
i ended up getting the 3.2 M pro pulsar version... now with canopy for battery access..

its full house on the servos..

excited to get it...

i still want to also add either a supra or sprite to the list... hmmm

Larry
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
gosh

so kind sir where would one find the pulsar build thread you refer to? donnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Three Pulsars at the contest yesterday, two RES 3.2M including mine and one full house 3.6M. One round we all three launched in same flight group, a beautiful sight seeing them head for the heavens, then find the juice and go full time. All three were in the top spots until last round wehn one crashed and mine had a motor ESC problem. I'm glad I went with mine and am still in love with her. In fact in about 1/2 hour she'll be in the big blue again. There's a good build thread here with much info on the setups, look it up and read. I learned a lot from the thread and it helped as she don't come with any manual or instructions.
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters