HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, Union City
Joined Mar 2004
388 Posts
Hi Rick and Doug

I have not talked to the rest of my team, but staying at Dougs place seems like it would work for us. I think we would not mind camping and pitting the planes at Dougs. Sound like we can do a little flying DLGing and small electrics which has become almost a tradition before we bring out the big stuff. We could general hanging out like at the Cal lodge and the Montague hanger. We may have to provide our own shade/canopy. I wonder if we have time to pitch in and rent a port a potty.

Can I please get PM for address to Dougs place? I want to get an Idea what we are doing. Looking forward to this event.

Dominic
dbaya is offline Find More Posts by dbaya
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:33 PM
Los Osos, CA
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
Dom
Definitely hlg, shade/canopy a good idea. I will bring a portapotty from home that can work for the weekend, it won't cost anything. Doug has some nice ALES planes and I and others have foamies to fly so I think there could be some AULD rounds in the making. Doug has a barbeque that we have fired up for potluck meals.
I think I'm going to the BayRc HLG contest on the 18th so I'll probably see you there.

Rick
Rickj.1151 is offline Find More Posts by Rickj.1151
Last edited by Rickj.1151; Sep 26, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:41 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
I plan to make a day trip to Cal Valley this year again. Any update of location?

Regards,
tai
tai626 is online now Find More Posts by tai626
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Jan 2005
267 Posts
We will be launching from usual location in the field next to the restaurant. There will be a pilots meeting at 9:00am.
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:58 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
Thank you. See you there!

Tai
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:22 AM
Los Osos, CA
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
Do you know if Ken is going to charge his $10 per person/day fee for using his field to launch? That's what he charged me and crew when I went out and flew there last year. Doug is going to check with the owner of the airport by the Cal Fire substation to see if we can launch there instead of Ken's if you want.
Last Sunday, team CenCal( Doug, Brian G and myself) launched my MXC and flew from Doug's house on Sunday for an ill fated practice run. The lift was fantastic, I chose to leave with 700 m altitude for an easy first run for us. The lift was everywhere no problem getting to Soda Lake road and on course. There would have been no problem doing the whole speed run course which was my intent. Then about 4 miles up Belmont trail at 700 m, the plane encountered what I have to catagorize as a "Thernado". The vario went abosolutely crazy, the plane was tumbled as if in a washing machine with no chance of control , I saw top and bottom of the wing over and over, then I saw parts of the plane flouting down. The fuse and left wing still attached came streaming straight down lawn dart style and the best I could do was to increase the diameter of the spiral by a few feet. The destruction phase took place within a matter of 5 sec give or take. The crash site and debris field was located about 100 yards from the new solar plant and when out retrieving parts we noticed a huge, and I mean huge, air mass rising from the solar plant. It looked to be comprised of ground dust and condensing air moisture like a cloud forming and was probably 2 or 3 hundred yards across and going up to ceiling like mad. I am convinced that I encountered that rising air mass with shear forces that chewed up and spit out the plane. So I think this encounter might be an indicator of caution for others about flying near those new solar plants at least on bright days. A square mile of black solar panels evidently can produce alot of lift. I hope to get another plane ready by the contest.

Rick
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Jan 2005
267 Posts
Rick

Sorry to about your glider crash. The lift at there can be incredible at times.

The last time I contacted Ken he did not indicate he would be charging anything for the use of the field. He did tell me the restrooms would be available for us as well as the field. If he does charge $10 per person then maybe we could consider an alternate field. The airfield sounds like it could be a viable alternate. Thanks for looking into this.

John
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:17 PM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
Is there any team going to be in Cal Valley on Thursday?
Regards,
Tai
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:49 PM
Los Osos, CA
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
Can we get a head count of people that want to camp at Doug's place? We need to determine whether or not we need a portapotty.

Team CenCal- Brian G and I and Doug
Dom and Tim- Two campers
Greg and team- four campers

Tai,
I might be out there on Thursday but don't know just yet, I will be out on Friday for sure around 9 am at Dougs

Rick J
Last edited by Rickj.1151; Sep 26, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2005
267 Posts
My team and I will be there Friday morning.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:16 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,162 Posts
I have a team of four coming in Friday night for camping.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:19 AM
Los Osos, CA
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
BBQ Friday and Saturday

Brian Doug and I are putting together BBQs(including a veggy menu) for Friday and Saturday nights at Doug's after flying for people camping at Dougs'. Brian says it will be easy(right Brian?) to feed a few more, so everyone is invited to stop by Dougs house on the way to town. We will need a head count by Thursday. Bring a DLG if you have one for an evening fling.
Rick
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:53 PM
Madera, CA
Joined Jan 2009
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickj.1151 View Post
Brian Doug and I are putting together BBQs(including a veggy menu) for Friday and Saturday nights at Doug's after flying for people camping at Dougs'. Brian says it will be easy(right Brian?) to feed a few more, so everyone is invited to stop by Dougs house on the way to town. We will need a head count by Thursday. Bring a DLG if you have one for an evening fling.
Rick
How's the premaiden flight saying go: It will be spectacular either way.

So far the menu looks like taco salad Friday and burgers Saturday. A head count by Thursday afternoon would be greatly appreciated. BYOWhatever for beverages .

Brian
bg5000 is offline Find More Posts by bg5000
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Mar 2004
388 Posts
It's looking good. I will be bringing camping gear, DLG and Support Equipment for XC. So far Tim and myself will be in Cal Valley mid Saturday morning.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Mar 2004
388 Posts
Bay Area team only going to be able to make one team this time around. Just short a chase vehicle and a pilot/spotter. I have my XC#8C ready.