SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:55 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,148 Posts
Thanks Doug

I just read your post on the Tracker, bad news, you have to fix it at some point for sure

Looking forward to your mosquito build, one of my all time favourite planes and have had two ARTF's myself, its on my list for my next project
heli_madken is online now Find More Posts by heli_madken
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:55 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,815 Posts
Hi Ken the Tracker will be fixed andflown again.
The mosquitos (3) will have different markings, colors etc to distinguish them apart in the air. I've asked the other two builders to participate on the thread, one emailed today, agreeing to do so. Watch fot it here on Giant Scale under "Mosquitos in Formation"
Keep up the fabulous Heinkel build, can't wait to see the next steps. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,148 Posts
After a fantastic holiday in Italy its back to it.

I need to get the tail flight surfaces completed before I can move on to sheeting the underside of the fuse.

Completed the rudder today and its linkages to the tailwheel. The tailwheel looks a bit strange in its length but it is scale, it has to be long to clear the huge underslung cannon nacelle.

I can sheet the rest of the tail now then on to elevators
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:21 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,815 Posts
Very nice work ther Ken. I am in awe of your building talents and look forward to each addition to the thread. Love the tailwheel assly. I'll be watching.
Ken R, Paul W and I have started the build thread on the "Mosquitos in Formation " if your interested. Doug B
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:44 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,480 Posts
You're definitely cracking on there Ken... Very nice work too.
I'm particularly impressed when guys turn their own metal parts - like you and DougB. It makes such a difference!
eye4wings is online now Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:42 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,148 Posts
All the bits I needed to finish off the cannon electrics arrived today so thought I would complete the wiring.

The attached picture shows from the left the BEC that provides 5.5V to the Picaxe controller situated as far away as possible from other electronics.

To its right the split power distribution board with a deans plug soldered in position, supplies 7.4V to the servos

Below this is the RX switch. In effect this cuts power to the servos and acts as a fail safe, Hold switch on the TX is thrown in flight to arm or disarm the system.

To the right the Picaxe board then the RX

All works nicely I can do some more test firing now
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:24 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,148 Posts
Todays progress, finished with the jig now and working on the underside, being careful to keep an eye on stbiliser alignment as I am working, as more sheeting is going on the fuse is becoming quite rigid
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:16 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_madken View Post
Todays progress, finished with the jig now and working on the underside, being careful to keep an eye on stbiliser alignment as I am working, as more sheeting is going on the fuse is becoming quite rigid
As usual, outstanding work. Really like the tail wheel/ rudder links, simple and super effective! And its all straight, you make it look so easy!! The cannon will be the main attraction, if you can keeps it barrel out of the dirt! Your progress is amazing. Please show us more, I want more!! hehe Doug B
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:57 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,148 Posts
On demand from a very impatient Doug Bartley here is an update of where I am up too

Nose completed

Tail control surfaces are complete together with linkages.

Most of the underside is sheeted and feels very rigid now but still nice and light, will weigh what I have up to now tomorrow, I guess its going to over my initial target due to the unforseen working cannon!

RX and tail control servos in place together with plumbing for retracts and valve actuating servo.

With all this done I can finish off sheeting the rest of the underside and move on to the nacelles
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:37 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,815 Posts
How else am I going to get to see a master builder put one together?? Don't blame me if I get antsy waiting for the next installment!! hehe.
Seriously nice work here Ken. it must be really nice to design your plane and know exactly where you intend to put it, how the parts will mount.
I always seem to end up with 20 yr old plans, all done the "old" way, single centre servos on bellcranks,etc. Figuring out new stategies can be a pain.
If you fall behind I'll be around to bump start again, hehe.
I want to see this magnificant build thru to completion. Doug B
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:49 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,480 Posts
Looks brilliant Ken!

I might need instruction in the science behind fully boxing something in as a precaution against fire when the boxing material is combustible though! Something to do with starving the hypothetical fire of oxygen maybe?

Great to see your progress though... and yes it does look mean!
eye4wings is online now Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:30 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,630 Posts
I've only just come across this thread myself, and have had a most enjoyable read and wander through.

I too first come across the Henschel 129 via the Airfix kit. I loved it for that air of pure aggression that it has - like the Bf109E (though to my mind the later 109 models became 'prettier' and lost some of the look of evil). And that great big <go forth> cannon is simply awe-inspiring. A fantastic aircraft to replicate.

Ken, this build is an inspiration to a born-again remould like me. I may never manage to build something as big or complex as this, but I am certainly enjoying dreaming!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Nov 09, 2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Sausage-fingered trypo....!
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:17 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,148 Posts
Thanks everyone

Quote:
might need instruction in the science behind fully boxing something in as a precaution against fire when the boxing material is combustible though! Something to do with starving the hypothetical fire of oxygen maybe?
Both actually, dont forget that this model will only be in the air for a few minutes and any material that is at least a little rigid will hold a fire back in the same way your wooden door will in your house if closed
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:12 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,148 Posts
Finished sheeting the rest of the fuselage and rough sanded to shape, started on underside of wings next stage will be the nacelles,

Weight with everything together including cannon assembly is 3.5Kg which I am really pleased with I should be able to get this under 7Kg complete
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:36 PM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
677 Posts
Awesome build Ken! every bit as interesting as your P61.
Keep up the progress and make sure to keep posting pics and updates even if Doug forgets to prompt you. Thanks Doug, you're making it easy for us lurkers to remain in the shadows and keep watching.

-Mat-
Wormboy is online now Find More Posts by Wormboy