HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:07 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,074 Posts
Thanks a lot I will probably use that technique

Just an update both spinners now completed, moving on to some work on the nose area now some corrections to make regarding the top surface being a little more rounded.

Paint arrived today, using WarbirdColors, has anybody any advice on which screenwash to use? ie concentrated or none concentrated?
heli_madken is online now Find More Posts by heli_madken
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:41 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_madken View Post
Thanks a lot I will probably use that technique

Just an update both spinners now completed, moving on to some work on the nose area now some corrections to make regarding the top surface being a little more rounded.

Paint arrived today, using WarbirdColors, has anybody any advice on which screenwash to use? ie concentrated or none concentrated?

Ken, I use WBC un-thinned and spray it with a Badger model 360 airbrush. My 123" Horton 229 only used about 16 liquid oz. of paint in total for the entire airframe camo and insignia's.

It covers exceptionally well, even the lighter colors
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:04 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,074 Posts
Been busy with work but got some time now to start working on the details, at the stage that takes time with little apparent gain.

The top surface of the nose has bugged me for some time so I set to with several layers of balsa and created a more rounded shape, not very evident in the photos but I am much happier with it.

Next up is to add panel lines using 1/16 tape after a good rub down with 120 grit mostly to remove some weight. Access panels are cut from templates using very thin plasticard, I will add rivets after priming over the tape and rubbing down

Looking at the control surfaces on the full scale I believe they are fabric covered so I am replicating this by masking out the areas between the ribs and will add several layers of paint

This stage will take ma a couple of weeks I reckon but getting closer to paint
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:13 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Great job mate. I like the nose profile better too. Those panel lines and access hatches are going to add a lot of realism.
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:27 PM
Failure is not an option
Boyertown, Pa
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
Ken, not to "second guess" this master build, but is 1/16" tape too wide? Thought that 1/32 would be protocol at this scale?
Rob
casor is offline Find More Posts by casor
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:54 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,074 Posts
Cheers Rob, Guess I am showing my inexperience, I was going to try and make a story up about the camouflage scheme hiding the lines so I am making them wider to stand out but it just wont wash

Got the top of the other wing done in about 5 hours, this is a long process
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:01 PM
Failure is not an option
Boyertown, Pa
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
An idea you may want to try

Ken - I don't feel the 1/16 lines will be a problem, the key is that you have to make them deep enough which adds weight. I would therefore focus your primer you are putting over everything more on the lines themselves. Forgive me if you already know all this. But the "big idea" that you may want to consider is what Dave Wigley and I did on his Beaufighter. We lined the panels with a No. 2 pencil, using a harder one on the light underside. Then we sprayed on a very translucent mix of burnt umber/gray/clear plastic model paint over ea line to blend and highlight it - using an airbrush of course. This was all easier than it sounds. We also used a highly reduced dirty mix of oil paint (before we did the lines) on the underside which was immediately wiped off to dirty things up and this highlighted the rivet and other detail. Then we did the pencil thing. After all this we cleared it with epoxy to fuel proof but, with an elec, the airbrush overspray may be enough to protect everything.
casor is offline Find More Posts by casor
Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:47 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,074 Posts
Havent had much time in the garage as decorating beckons still small price to pay for all the happy time spent.

Completed one side of the panel lines and access panels

Checking the dimensions of the decals. I scanned the decal sheet I have of the 1:48 Hasegawa B-2, multiplied the size of this by 48 then divided by 6 to scale correctly which has worked out fine.

Sent the Coreldraw X4 file complete with the font I used to Callie and she has created and posted back to me already, for $27 what a fantastic service.

Just had some very bad news, for the third time in 4 years we have lost our flying field, last ime it took us six months to find a new field so it looks as though I wont be maidening this plane any time soon. If anyone knows of a suitable field in the Liverpool area let me know
Old Mar 31, 2013, 01:09 PM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
471 Posts
hell..... that sucks.
darook is online now Find More Posts by darook
Old Apr 02, 2013, 03:17 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Why are they shutting you down? Noise?
Walter
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Apr 03, 2013, 08:02 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,074 Posts
No, The organisation who own the field are applying for an IS0 9001 status which means we cant be at the field without one of thier employees being present and at £25/hr we just cant afford it, the UK has gone health and safety mad these days.

We lost the other fields due to housing development, there are very few areas within reach left now
Old Apr 03, 2013, 11:01 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,864 Posts
Erm Build smaller Models?
Which one can 'safely' fly in local areas,Yards even .
A Trend that has been obvious here for last 2 decades.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 03, 2013, 11:13 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_madken View Post
I love the Warbirds Colors paint. Great stuff and I've had great results with it. I use regular pre-mixed washer fluid that I get here in Canada. Good down to -35C. Not sure if you have the same stuff over there! It has a blue tint to it. I've never noticed any change in the tint of the paint due to the washer fluid. I found that you don't need too much. Maybe 10-15% for spraying. And each colour seems to handle a little bit differently, so you may need to experiment a bit. I tried thinning with water, but the washer fluid works much better. I think the detergent action of the washer fluid helps break the surface tension of the paint a bit and helps it flow out better than plain water. Good Luck. Your 129 looks fantastic!
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Apr 03, 2013, 12:02 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Which forum is this?

Whatever...
Deuce is online now Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Apr 03, 2013, 05:58 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare

Which forum is this?

Whatever...
I have a few small models I can do that with