1,402 Posts
Impressive CAD work!

wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:53 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,717 Posts
Hi Ken: Another build I see and a very challenging one.
Point of interest, I don't see your other plane as being grossly over weight, it appears t fly wonderfully.
I'll be interested to see this develop, always fascinated by others with skills way beyond my own. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Dec 2007
98 Posts
fascinating build, definitely subbed
NAKIAM949 is offline Find More Posts by NAKIAM949
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:30 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,082 Posts
Got further along on the design, a little more to do on the fuselage frames for the magazine housing then elevator to draw and I will be ready to start building perhaps by next weekend.

Having drawn the h-stab frames I measured the span at 850mm, one of the problems of drawing in CAD is that you dont get any real perspective of size, I was quite shocked 850mm is bigger than the wing span of some of my planes, had to got out and measure the car to ensure it fits otherwise I would have had to make them removable.
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:10 AM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
640 Posts
Looking like a great build. and a great subject to choose.
With that great big cannon I suppose it is the WWII equivalent of the A-10 "warthog".
Designed for stable low flight and to punch holes in the enemy heavy armour.
Wormboy is offline Find More Posts by Wormboy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sikorsky S39 Maiden
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:49 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,082 Posts
Hi All,

I have started construction now with most of the structural core of the Henschel done. Took a good 3 hours to cut each of the main frames as they where too big for my jig saw. All interlocks together nicely like a 3D puzzle, can almost assemble without a jig.

I am part way through completing the wing structure, just ailerons and flaps to do then the design is complete.

This part weighs 376g which isnt bad considering its size and the rest of the fuse is very light weight I hope to get the whole fuse structure in at under 1.5Kg.

Love this part of building when you begin to get an idea of what the plane will look like.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:01 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Well done, it looks absolutely stunning! Those parts look like they have been CNC router cut.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:14 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
386 Posts
Simply incredible Ken! This looks to be a very big plane. What is the diameter for the wing tube?
Ducky22 is offline Find More Posts by Ducky22
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:33 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,082 Posts
Thanks,

Wing tube is 1", wing span is 2.4m so dont think its as big as the Black Widow David but it certainly looks big on the bench.

Just getting set up to work on the nose this afternoon, more pics later

Ken
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:41 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,082 Posts
Made up the nose frames and trial fitted, this area has given me some jib and not sure if I have it right yet.

Also had some problems with the lower part of the nacelle, made up four of the smae part before I was happy, I have corrected the drawing
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:31 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,082 Posts
Hi,

She is coming along nicely, dry fit of everything made to date put together all works out really well, a few little mistakes made with stringer locations etc but nothing dramatic.

Took delivery of the Hobby King air retract set, yes I know not exactly Robart etc but for $70 odd dollars I am amazed at the quality.

I have the jig designed, I need to design a further frame near the nose as it needs more support once done and a few H Stab frames made I can start thinking about gluing up which should be within a few days.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
That looks really nice- very neatly done. Those minor stringer misalignments may bother you now, but once she's sheeted it will make no absolutely difference structurally.

What thickness of ply are you using for the structure? Do you have an estimate of ready to fly weight yet?

I can't wait to see the next update!

Odd
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:01 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,082 Posts
Thank you for the encouragement

I am using a combination of 1/16, 3/32 and 1/8 LitePly dependent on how much strength is needed. I am hoping to come in at around 6Kg all up, I will be breaking the model down again today and will weight the components so far, let you know later

Ken
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:54 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
6kg will be really light for a model of that size. (I'm working on a 2.4m Beaufighter design using 1.5 and 3mm Bass ply, and will be lucky to reach 8kg. Around 3kg of that is retracts, oleos and battery packs. Bloody battery packs alone weigh almost 1kg each)

Yep, build logs kind of pressure you to keep moving along, don't they

Keep up the great work, I'm really enjoying this one.....

Odd
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:47 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,082 Posts
You are probably right, I am determined to keep her as light as possible, my Black Widow came in at over 7.5kg, I think I can keep this below 7kg at least, at the moment everything in my last post weighs 668g which is the main structure of the fuse, pretty pleased with that