HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:40 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,818 Posts
No sir, I didn't see you playing with your dolls again! Seriously awesome looking pilot figure.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:41 AM
Joined Feb 2010
382 Posts
Awesome figure, what a great facial expression! Incredible model, I can't wait to see it finished! On a side note, the figure has his breast eagle on the wrong side. See image. maybe it can be easily moved.
jeff
Jeff Van Hofwegen is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Van Hofwegen
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:51 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,148 Posts
Thanks Jeff already done, Ken
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:56 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,148 Posts
Cowl plug and mould complete and one cowl fitted.

As the mould was only to be used to produce a few cowls I have been pretty crude with it. Once the plug was shaped I gave is a single coat of polyester resin left for 24hrs then rubbed down very lightly. A few coats of wax then on to producing the mould. I dont bother with paint or even taking a lot of time and care with the plug as what I have found is once the mould is complete I can wet sand the interior to make a good smooth mould.

Cowls themselves are West System epoxy, I made them heavier than normal with 4 overlapping layers of 80gm cloth, thought I might as well make them beefy to put more weight forward.

Exhausts are an old alloy helicopter boom squashed a lttle to give the shape, more details to this area to be added later.

Pretty pleased with the result, I have a few 5" 7/8" - 7 Cylinder radials on order from Parkflyer plastics
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:15 PM
Orange, CA
Joined Jun 2007
183 Posts
Fantastic craftsmanship on the molds. Enjoying this build greatly. Obscure subject and wonderful workmanship. Patiently awaiting the maiden.
Brad
cbalgra is online now Find More Posts by cbalgra
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:02 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
892 Posts
Ken, Just found this thread and your friend is absolutely right, you are "F______g brilliant". Subscribed
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:58 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,480 Posts
I'm glad you're pleased with the result Ken... you should be!

And as well as a flawless pair of cowls the whole model looks great in its grey.

If I'm right that you have designed this model yourself from scratch and all the cut files are done already I do hope you are planning to get it published. Are you?

Robin
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:17 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,816 Posts
Hi Ken: Your workmanship is simply outstanding! You make it look so easy.
The cowls and the molds worked 100%.
Would you consider doing an editorial sometime on the construction details of making a proper mold. I'm sure 100's, if not 1000's would appreciate the effort.
Your builds are truly an incentive to us all to do better, and a pleasure to see come from start to finish. Can't wait to see the next step. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:02 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,605 Posts
Beautiful work Ken, the cowl looks great!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:38 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,148 Posts
Thanks everyone, other side complete, it has changed the look of the model quite a bit I think

Quote:
If I'm right that you have designed this model yourself from scratch and all the cut files are done already I do hope you are planning to get it published. Are you?
Robin, the design is all mine but its drawn in 3D and would take a lot to produce 2D cut files, I dont think there would be enough interest in this model to warrant it

Quote:
Would you consider doing an editorial sometime on the construction details of making a proper mold.
Thanks Doug, I dont think I am doing too much different to anyone else making moulds but I will document the cannon nacelle mould pruduction which I am moving on to next.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:40 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,816 Posts
Thanks Ken, I'm sure others will appreciate the effort. I have never had any success with fiberglass, molds, etc. Understanding the basic principals would sure help. The Henschal is going to be a stunner! Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:06 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_madken View Post
Robin, the design is all mine but its drawn in 3D and would take a lot to produce 2D cut files, I dont think there would be enough interest in this model to warrant it
Why don't you have a word with Tony VanGeffen at QEFI or Kevin Crosier at RCMW - find out what they think? You may be surprised.

They have their own CADman now and he may be able to do the conversion anyway. At least an article brings in a little money to cover some of the building costs.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:41 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,302 Posts
I would be interested in a plans, glass and canopy package
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:47 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,811 Posts