HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:37 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,145 Posts
Thanks Mark, Apologies to everyone for the language, I think everyone just found it so funny, it was such a hoot
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:11 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,470 Posts
Yes, great stuff!

Big puff of 'smoke' looks good... hope it's as effective when flying and the airflow is trying to stuff it back down the barrel!

As we heard half way through 'how do you MAKE something like that'... I bet that comment made the effort worth it on its own! And thanks for showing us how!
eye4wings is online now Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:40 AM
Failure is not an option
Boyertown, Pa
Joined Mar 2007
818 Posts
Funny

No offense on the vid, that was my reaction also!

Ken - on a more serious note, if you covered this already please direct me to the post but how did you make sure all the flying surfaces were in alignment? I know you did it all in CAD and was mostly self aliging, but cutting and building variances always sneak in - at least in my stuff they do - which can collectively conspire to put things out of spec. It seems like your model almost went together all at once - how do you check this along the way in a larger model?
Thanks
Rob
casor is offline Find More Posts by casor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:25 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,145 Posts
Thanks Rob

One of the advantages of drawing in 3D is that you can create a datum below the model and design a Jig to hold all the frames in the correct location. I print out a grid that locates the jig components correctly then lay all the frames in temporarily pinned in position before gluing in place. I have an A1 plotter so I can print the grid generally on one sheet before spraymounting to the building board

I use the same principle for fuselage and wings. So long as I cut and position accurately which is so easy to do it cant really go wrong, for instance the wing tubes are held in place in the correct postion and at the correct angle by the jig so they just slot straight into the wing socket when built.

The only draw back of the system is that it wastes wood so I tend to use whatever scraps I have left if possible
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:20 AM
Failure is not an option
Boyertown, Pa
Joined Mar 2007
818 Posts
I get it now, thanks Ken

Yes this is hard for me to do in 2D CAD. With the "planing" of all the parts in 3D, as long as your table is flat you can basically make the model "grow" out of the building board, which is what it looks like it is doing from the drawing on the board to the vertical templates pinned to the ref lines. Slick.

I guess I have to "man up" this year and learn 3D. It's really the way to go.
casor is offline Find More Posts by casor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:46 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,145 Posts
It really isnt that difficult Rob, first is to get your head around the UCS (User Coordinate System) which basically allows you to rotate the X,Y and Z plane of drawing so you can draw vertically and horizontally or at an angle for instance, once you have that there are only two principles left, one is to loft or extrude your 2D drawing to add thickness, you already know how to draw a frame in 2D so imagine then just extruding it to the thickness of the material eg 3mm, in Autocad for instance the only command you need to learn here is simply 'Extrude', pick the 2D frame and enter the thickness, simple as that.

The other principle is a little harder and that is learning how to either combine elements together or subtract them. Imagine you have drawn a basic frame but then you want to make it lighter with a few holes, you simply draw the hole in the right place, extract it then subtract it from the frame.

There is obviosuly more to it than I am making out but I reckon I use a library of no more than 20 commands in AutoCAD (and I am sure there are other easier to use packages out there for 3D) and I am self taught, if I can pick it up I am sure anyone can.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:24 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,145 Posts
Quick update, completed the structure of one wing, flaps and ailerons are plenty big.

I will complete the other wing then glass
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:32 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,733 Posts
Beautiful work! Any chance we could get a shot of the mating surface for the flap connection?
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Last edited by pmullen503; Jan 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Looked at a full resolution photo of the pins.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:43 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,572 Posts
That's beautiful work Ken

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:23 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,145 Posts
There you go Pat, nothing special just two tubes epoxied in place
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:05 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,733 Posts
Thanks, always nice to see the details.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:31 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,807 Posts
Wow, just checking in on this thread again. Haven't really looked since it began. The gun mechanism really blows my mind! Soooo cooooool! I hope the party poppers will be loud enough up in the air over the drone of the props and all. How many shells are you going to have on hand and do you plan on collecting them all each time when they are ejected? I don't suppose they are quick and easy to remake/replace.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:17 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,145 Posts
Thanks, With a little more experimentation I am sure it will be loud enough, what I havent made yet is the nacelle itself, this will be fibregalss and cover the whole of the gun mechanism, the magazine holds five shells and as each is used they are ejected into the nacelle so nothing is lost
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:20 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_madken View Post
Thanks, With a little more experimentation I am sure it will be loud enough, what I havent made yet is the nacelle itself, this will be fibregalss and cover the whole of the gun mechanism, the magazine holds five shells and as each is used they are ejected into the nacelle so nothing is lost
Oh ok, I thought the shell ejection was for the cool factor (did the real plane eject its shells or carry spent ones internally?)
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:29 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,145 Posts
They where ejected from the rear of the nacelle through a simple hole, my shells take a while to machine so couldnt just waste them BUT now you have me thinking about ejecting dummy shells