HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:12 AM
hotrod builder
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Discussion
Hey guys look what I found

I found this boat on a local craigslist ad the other day. paid very little for it and was pleasently surprised it is actually a complete NIB unit with nothing I can see missing. The best of my knowledge these were produced somewheres around 1994. Now I am definately not the youngest guy here but during the 90's I had gotten out of RC and was busy in the service. it's actually kinda neat that it doesnt even use any kind of ESC...just a simple on off micro switch controlled by a servo.
Now the big question...do I keep it NIB or set this thing up with brushless and a lipo?
I don't think the plastic prop is gonna cut it if I do build it...
thoughts?
usmc_VTOL_mech is offline Find More Posts by usmc_VTOL_mech
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:53 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,765 Posts
Nice find. Build it as is, because if you change to brushless, you may end up butchering it.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:30 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
The ride pads on that hull (at least on the one I reviewed for a magazine) rolled upwards at the back. This sticks the hull down and makes turning, um, interesting. I recommend adding straight ride pads to it so it planes properly.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:36 PM
hotrod builder
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Hi Andy. I would definitely be interested in reading that review If it is available? I have not really looked at the bottom of the hull, perhaps a pic would help? I can post one later tonight after I get home. Thanks for the input everyone
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:04 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
It would be in RCBM from the early/mid 90's.

I wasted a lot of time trying to get it to work well with more power. In the end I pulled the systems out and mounted them in a converted MRP Bud hull that I ran for a while.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:00 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,604 Posts
based on my experience in the late 80's with the MRP budweiser hydro, anything other than a variable speed esc will be a waste.
tsenecal is online now Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:14 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
based on my experience in the late 80's with the MRP budweiser hydro, anything other than a variable speed esc will be a waste.
Quote:
it's actually kinda neat that it doesnt even use any kind of ESC...just a simple on off micro switch controlled by a servo.
That was then, this is now. A forward only ESC to handle the current would probably be smaller, lighter and cheaper than a servo and a switch that could comfortably handle the current. Probably more reliable as well.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:56 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,276 Posts
The Micro Switches had a habit of welding close or burning out once you got the amperage up high enough to make the boat move.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:47 PM
hotrod builder
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Thanks for the input. I wasn't planning on using any of the electronics that came with the boat. I was thinking a 3600 kv in runner on 3 s lipo. Any thoughts? Should I try the stock prop or can anyone recommend a prop? One other question. Do most guys run a reversible esc or no?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:47 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
Try 1500-1800kV instead, no more than 2300kV on 3S.

The guys doing real racing (like at the Nats last week) run 1800's on 4S and they're FAST.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:04 AM
hotrod builder
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Andy thanks! I have a motor tht fits those parameters also. It might be a trial and error deal but at least it's easy enuff to swap out motors. I might be actually able to get started on it tonight
Thanks again
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:13 AM
hotrod builder
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Hi everyone
Little update...I went ahead and built this boat. went with a 3600 kv motor and a 120 amp esc. Runs good but the motor is too small..gets way to hot after 50 seconds of running. So I have a Neu motor I will be putting in and upping the voltage
But this was alot of fun so I went ahead and found the same version of this boat NIB but nitro not electric. So I will be doing that next after the motor and esc swap
Thanks for the help though...been a blast
here is a quick vid from the other day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbjoB40Tmo
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:21 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
The nitro engine was pretty good. I put a Mac header and pipe on it and ran it in a converted MRP Bud for a while. I think I eventually sold the engine to a friend. With the Mac system it ran a lot better than the stock muffler.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:03 PM
hotrod builder
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Thanks Andy . I am looking forward to getting it built and seeing the differences in how the nitro runs compared to the electric? I am definitely not done with the electric. I see a ton of potential there. Is it true that I hear hydros always turn better left than right? Cuz mine turns great to the left but huge turns to the right. Also is there a good source for shaft adapters? The new motor I am putting in has a 5 mm shaft while the one I have now is 3.17. Either I gotta drill it out on the press or find another shaft adapter
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:09 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
Adapters are relatively easy to come by. Check with the guys at www.OffshoreElectrics.com (up near Boston). They have a helpful forum there, too.

The truth about turning is based on the design of the hull. There are clubs that race turning left, but most others race turning right. A lot will depend on the prop type, depth, angle and the skid fin. Probably a better question is, "Are turns asymmetric?" to which the answer is almost always yes.

Andy
Site Sponsor