HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:19 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,079 Posts
Electrics. A lot of unnecessary work as the mfgr did not cut the spoiler bay correctly. It's too narrow and too shallow. I've reduced the width of the spoilers (the small flange at the top) and have removed the bottom of the bay per Tom's comments to allow the top of the spoilers to sit flush with the wing surface.

I hope top only spoilers are sufficient.

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:54 AM
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
266 Posts
I don't know how many of these have made it to the air, but we had 3 in Brooks Oregon yesterday. Thom and I got 4 or 5 flights on each of ours and Sherrill got I think 4 on his. His first was a maiden and got pretty exciting at times. We were towing behind a 1/3 scale cub with a GT80. These planes were the limit of the tugs capability. If not for the skills of our tug pilot It would have been a very interesting situation.

Mark
Mark Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:57 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,079 Posts
Mark, was everyone happy with how well the K8s flew? Thermal well, etc.?

Steve
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:58 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,079 Posts
Also, were air brakes installed in any of them? Top only?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined May 2010
266 Posts
All three pilots are happy with the planes. All three had air brakes top only. If you have a short field you may want more athourity, but after getting used to them we are figuring out the landing routine. All three have broken the formers at the front of the radio tray where they are thin cross grained. These need to be reinforced. Sherrill set his throws as per the manual and felt the ailerons and rudder were soft. I set mine to max without bind and 50% differential on the ailerons and am very happy with the handling. I think Thom's are like mine. Thom and I are around 140mm and moving back on the c.g. Sherrill started at 150 and seemed happy. They each have 4mm under the stab, I have 5. They both have a little down trim.

Mark
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,079 Posts
Thanks Mark, great info.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:07 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,835 Posts
Even without the shim mine thermals like a champ! And yes.....everyone should reinforce the formers from the front back to behind the wheel box.....the question is not will they break but when will they break. Mine should be back in the air in a week or two....waiting on covering material now to patch the fuse. I plan to add a 5mm shim to mine because right now I am carrying quite a bit of down trim.
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined May 2010
266 Posts
One thing that we have decided is needed for these things is some sort of cart to move them around the field with. Anybody have any pictures of such a device for inspiration. I can't seem to find anything.

Mark
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:45 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Hey ya go

LEN
Lbuff1 is online now Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,835 Posts
That's quite the contraption there Len!
I just use a dog leash on mine and pull it around behind me....be sure to make up a bunch of extra long loops....if you use the stock release....and when you go to get the plane after it lands just put the loop in.....hook up the leash and pull that puppy back to your tent!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:19 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,315 Posts
What Len and I do is land at our feet
creeve is offline Find More Posts by creeve
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:53 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeve View Post
What Len and I do is land at our feet
Hahahahahaha...you so funny!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:56 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,121 Posts
Guys,

Well I got my second K8B today and this time it came through undamaged at least from what I have found so far. I hope to get started on it by the weekend if I can round up enough servos in time. still need to order some spoilers as well. This thing is much bigger than I thought it was going to be. May have to figure out a car top carrier for it or just keep out at the towing field. We have great climate controlled model storage at the field for the big planes.

See Ya,

Pat
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Oct 2009
321 Posts
A gathering of the K8s

A few pics from Sundays event with the Portland Area Sailplane Society (PASS) in Brooks, Oregon.
olythom is offline Find More Posts by olythom
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:03 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,121 Posts
Guys,

Where exactly are you putting the shims on the stab and can somebody shoot a picture of what they did and share with us?

Thanks,

Pat
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave