SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:40 PM
Registered User
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,084 Posts
4.3 Meter span...no problem-O!
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:12 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2009
168 Posts
strong wings?

Maybe no problems 'cause they didn't loop it.
flyingfever is online now Find More Posts by flyingfever
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:10 AM
Registered User
Holland
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
Hi there,

I did receive my free reinforced replacement wing for my K8b, an excellent sevice by my german dealer.

Has anybody performed any extra reinforcing of those new wings? In my view the extra measures taken by the manufacturer aren't enough to make me totally happy.

At the moment I'm thinking about filling up the hidden long aluminium tube in the D-box up front and the new shorter tube in the back part of the wing with cabon tow. This way I would have two almost 18 mm thick carbon filled tubes overlapping all the joiners by a good bit.

What are your thoughts about this?
Harm is offline Find More Posts by Harm
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:54 PM
Registered User
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm View Post
Hi there,

I did receive my free reinforced replacement wing for my K8b, an excellent sevice by my german dealer.

Has anybody performed any extra reinforcing of those new wings? In my view the extra measures taken by the manufacturer aren't enough to make me totally happy.

At the moment I'm thinking about filling up the hidden long aluminium tube in the D-box up front and the new shorter tube in the back part of the wing with cabon tow. This way I would have two almost 18 mm thick carbon filled tubes overlapping all the joiners by a good bit.

What are your thoughts about this?
If you are talking filling the tubes completely with Carbon then they would be very strong and more than capable of handling the loads. A lighter way would be to slide a carbon tube up the inside of the Alluminium ones. Lighter solution. You then have to think about getting the joiner loads through to the tubes so maybe some rib reinforcements.

Allan
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:09 AM
Registered User
Holland
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
Hi Allan,

Weight is no issue with this K8 I believe. Problem would be finding a carbon tube or rod which will fit and more expensive it is too.
Harm is offline Find More Posts by Harm
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:43 PM
Registered User
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,084 Posts
Harm, have you opened up both your original inner panels and the new ones? Do you know exactly what is different about the new ones?

TIA,

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:22 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
SZD16's Avatar
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,841 Posts
Steve....the pictures that I have seen show that they closed up the triangular holes in the shear webs.......and added a rear aluminum tube that spans from about rib #3 to mid span of the spoiler bay. That is it.
SZD16 is online now Find More Posts by SZD16
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:31 PM
Registered User
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,084 Posts
Thanks Tom. I'm still undecided about what to do. I like K2K's approach to install proper full length spars.

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:59 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
SZD16's Avatar
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,841 Posts
I'm going to just use the new panels and fly the thing.....have to many other projects that I need to tend to rather then rebuilding a plane that was suppose to be an ARF.....
SZD16 is online now Find More Posts by SZD16
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:16 PM
Registered User
Holland
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
Hi Steve,

I removed the plastic film from the underside of my first set of innerpanels. This way I could see a lot of spots where the gluing was missing or insuficient.
I can say that I'm very lucky my wings didn't seize during the few flights I was able to make till then.

I contacted my dealer and showed him some pictures of my wing. I did get a free set of the latest wing panels, I believe reinforced the same way as the replacements parts in the USA.

The reinforcements in the newest wings are described in different forums all over the world, no need to open those up. As far as I know the shear web did get doubled till about the air brake area. In my view this doesn't add much strength but you don't see the open triangles anymore. And then there is a new aluminium tube running just in front of the rear Aluminium joiner tube till about half way the length of this inner panel.

I did open up the root rib of my first wing to find where the hidden Aluminium tube in the D-box is situated. I could make a picture of this. Both tubes don't start at the root rib. The front one starts at the second rib, the new tube (can easily be seen through the square opening in the root) in the rear starts at the second rib. I'm planning to extend both tubes so they start at the root and fill them up with carbon over their full length.
Harm is offline Find More Posts by Harm
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:43 PM
Registered User
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,084 Posts
Thanks Harm. Your approach sounds like a good solution. Can you think of some reason why they didn't run the tubes full length through the inner panel? Seems like such an obvious thing to do. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks,

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:44 PM
Registered User
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm View Post
Hi Steve,

I removed the plastic film from the underside of my first set of innerpanels. This way I could see a lot of spots where the gluing was missing or insuficient.
I can say that I'm very lucky my wings didn't seize during the few flights I was able to make till then.

I contacted my dealer and showed him some pictures of my wing. I did get a free set of the latest wing panels, I believe reinforced the same way as the replacements parts in the USA.

The reinforcements in the newest wings are described in different forums all over the world, no need to open those up. As far as I know the shear web did get doubled till about the air brake area. In my view this doesn't add much strength but you don't see the open triangles anymore. And then there is a new aluminium tube running just in front of the rear Aluminium joiner tube till about half way the length of this inner panel.

I did open up the root rib of my first wing to find where the hidden Aluminium tube in the D-box is situated. I could make a picture of this. Both tubes don't start at the root rib. The front one starts at the second rib, the new tube (can easily be seen through the square opening in the root) in the rear starts at the second rib. I'm planning to extend both tubes so they start at the root and fill them up with carbon over their full length.
That sure will fix it.
Allan
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:44 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
SZD16's Avatar
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
.......... Can you think of some reason why they didn't run the tubes full length through the inner panel? Seems like such an obvious thing to do............
Because their cheap and ignorant?
SZD16 is online now Find More Posts by SZD16
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:47 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
SZD16's Avatar
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,841 Posts
Harm...when you get ready to do the carbon filling ofthe tube please take pictures and explain how you are going to do it....I can't think of any practical way to do it....thanks!
SZD16 is online now Find More Posts by SZD16
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:15 PM
Registered User
The Netherlands, OV, Haaksbergen
Joined Jun 2009
3 Posts
Me too
vangrafhorst is offline Find More Posts by vangrafhorst
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alert Phoenix 6 Meter K8 One Time Special Order SteveR Scale Sailplanes 393 Jul 19, 2012 08:40 PM
Discussion PHOENIX Evolution 2.6 dougind Electric Sailplanes 1 Jun 16, 2012 09:40 AM
For Sale Hitech Eclipse tranmitter and 8 Receivers on 6 meters for sale or trade. model medic Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Apr 02, 2012 09:06 AM
Alert Last Call for the Phoenix 6 Meter K8 Sailplane SteveR Scale Sailplanes 5 Nov 22, 2011 07:24 AM