Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:19 AM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK1 View Post
Wow, that really is a fine looking machine. I think I would have to help you put the for fire out. Just the thing to bring to NZ Rog.

Allan
Thanks Allan. I moulded my own fuse cos I was never very keen on the Alpina's shape. And yes - we're going to NZ next Easter as it happens but will only have space for a tiny OD flying wing I made for my last NZ trip in 97. In fact that's the last time I flew it.

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:21 AM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Very neat, Rog. So is it the hole on the bottom that the locking bolt goes through? No issue with flexing/flexing away from the mating half at the top of the fuse?

Steve
Yep, a single steel bolt through that hole you can just see in the photo. There's no flex when it's screwed up tight, although the nylon bolt I tried first allowed too much flex.

Rog

Feeling guilty I've steered this thread away from K8's, so here's a photo of our local full size K8 taken this Summer. We have all the latest greatest plastic ships fly from this club but on the warm calm days it's funny how the old K8 normally tops the stack.
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Last edited by Sutton Bank; Dec 12, 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:01 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,045 Posts
Hi Henryk,

Good question. I cut all the longerons and stringers on the aft side of one of the existing formers. I glued one new 1/4" ply former to the existing former as a doubler and as the mating surface for the new former attached to the longerons and stringers of the rear half.

Initially I simply glued the new rear former to all the stringers, etc. Those were simple butt joints as you indicated without much strength. Then I added triangular pieces to greatly increase the glue contact area and I'm pretty sure I also added some longeron and stringer doublers to help insure that stresses got carried back to the next rear former. I also made sure that the existing former on the front half of the fuse was solidly attached to its stringers, etc.That's all it took to make a very sturdy connection.

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:44 PM
USA, TX, Waco
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
K8

anyone flown with new inboard panels yet????
stephen Damon is offline Find More Posts by stephen Damon
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:31 PM
SF Bay Slope Flyer
San Francisco, CA
Joined Apr 2004
212 Posts
K8 Maiden

Got to maiden the K8 today at 4 Corners, a little north of
San Francisco.
No issues with the wings. It flew great!

Here's a short video of the maiden flight.

K8 Maiden (1 min 53 sec)
SlopeFlyer33 is offline Find More Posts by SlopeFlyer33
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:35 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,045 Posts
Super flight! Did you use the original inner panels or the revised ones?
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:55 PM
SF Bay Slope Flyer
San Francisco, CA
Joined Apr 2004
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Super flight! Did you use the original inner panels or the revised ones?
This was from today - I used the revised panels
SlopeFlyer33 is offline Find More Posts by SlopeFlyer33
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:17 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,583 Posts
Best view of the Bay and Strawberry/Sausalito at 4 corners with the easterly wind!

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
EAJ=Eastern Air Junkie?

I have to say helping launch that monster off the slope was pretty amazing. I had anticipated having to run/throw a lot harder than it took- it popped right out of my hand.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:24 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,733 Posts
Man, I miss those Winter slope days flying from the 4C East side. Lot's of good memories. Congrats to finally getting her airborne Bruce.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:01 PM
Germany, BY
Joined Jan 2005
49 Posts
I build in a new towing release in my Grunau Baby 6000. Now i don't have to open the canopy to connect the towing cable (i think it could be also a good idea for the 6m Ka8):
uwe neesen is offline Find More Posts by uwe neesen
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:14 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,826 Posts
I like that.....I'm going to do the same for mine....thanks!
SZD16 is online now Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:40 AM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
I am very sorry for these videos, including the one from the producer, that shows consecutive loops with this soarer. It is not at all intended for any kind of aerobatic. Not the full size, nor the model. If you look up the flying instructions for the full sze, you will see that. That being said, there has been some bad production batches. I thought tese were known, and that the retailers had agreement with the factory for replacing them free of cost. I bought my mdel in Nrway, and my retailer checked wth the factory. They assured that my plane was ok. To be sure, my retailer ordered a new set of main wing panels, completely free of charge. I have 10-12 flights with the original wing panels, and have not experienced any problems yet.
sighen is offline Find More Posts by sighen
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:32 AM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sighen View Post
...... That being said, there has been some bad production batches............
True...some batches did not get enough glue on the shear webs.....but....the fundamental design of the wing spar is flawed from the beginning and even the planes that did get adaquite glue are marginal at best....and ticking time bombs at worse......one wrong move on tow and you risk the utter failure of the wing not to mention any landing that is not perfect will take out the bottom half of the fuse formers.
SZD16 is online now Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:30 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,583 Posts
Look what else Phoenix is making!!!

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...#comment-53963

I hope the wings are made better!!!

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan