HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:45 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,697 Posts
Allan, you really need to see the wing uncovered in person, I have been around enough models through the years to know what is structurally sound and what is not, a computer analysis is not going to fix the model, out of the box it MAY hold together for awhile, but it will eventually fail. The K2K fix on this thread will probably work OK, but out of the box the model is unsafe to fly unless you have a flying site that has miles of nothing around it. ( and maybe have bystanders wear a hardhat and take shelter when it explodes in flight)
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:16 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,835 Posts
Tell us you really feel Dennis!
I tend to agree with your thinking on this one........I think the way to go is to design a spar from scratch that will support 100% of the flight loads of the airframe and just treat the existing spar as extra weight! I plan to convert mine into one piece wings per side and make my new spars continuous from root to tip.
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Jul 2009
168 Posts
spar for the KA8

As long the spar is strong enough not to fail under load, does it have to have flex designed into it, or should it be rigid, or stiff? Thanks.
flyingfever is offline Find More Posts by flyingfever
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Jan 2009
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfever View Post
As long the spar is strong enough not to fail under load, does it have to have flex designed into it, or should it be rigid, or stiff? Thanks.
The K8 is from the "old" wooden glider generation: wings were "rigid". BTW the first commercial aircraft with the "flexible" wing technology was the Boeing 727...
fnev is online now Find More Posts by fnev
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:24 AM
Bax
Central Illinois
Joined May 2003
264 Posts
To those of you in the US who have purchased one of the Phoenix K8B 6000mm gliders:

We at Great Planes are very concerned, and have been in contact with Phoenix Models in Vietnam since the wing problem surfaced. They have, in turn, responded to us and are working on a solution. As you can all appreciate, this is not something that will happen overnight. Once Phoenix comes up with an approved resolution, we will post that information on this thread.

Thanks for your patience,

BAX

Bill Baxter, Manager

Hobby Services
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Suite 1
Champaign IL 61822
USA

Phone: (217) 398-0007
Fax: (217) 398-7721
Bax is offline Find More Posts by Bax
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:47 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,079 Posts
Thanks Bill, we greatly appreciate Hobbico's support and all you are doing to resolve this problem.

Regards,

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:04 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,835 Posts
I'm impressed. Glad to see a company that stands behind the products that they sell.
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:23 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,121 Posts
K8B Wing Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK1 View Post
If anyone of you wants to take up this offer of help please drop me a PM and we can hookup on Email and get on with it. I'm fine with sharing this with everyone once sorted.
PM Sent
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:30 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,697 Posts
Very impressive for Hobbico to stand up for the product, just on their response so far makes them deserve any business we can give them!
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Jul 2009
566 Posts
Sweet! I imagine that there will be some updated inner panels in the works and hopefully they will address the frail fuse structure in future versions. I'm foaming at the mouth for one of these but can wait until an official revision.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:08 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Once Phoenix comes up with an approved resolution, we will post that information on this thread.
Great! Thanks!

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnev View Post
The K8 is from the "old" wooden glider generation: wings were "rigid". BTW the first commercial aircraft with the "flexible" wing technology was the Boeing 727...
Yes, the 727 was different from most modern Jets. The wing is continuous through the center section and suspended on 4 large bottle shaped pins that allowed the wing to bend around these suspension points without loading the fuselage attachemnt area. The 737 was quite different with the wing attached to the fuselage in lots of places. The 737 gave us lots of trouble in these areas.

Allan
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:15 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfever View Post
Flex is not really the concern, it just has to be strong enough. Having said that, this wing is realatively thick and low aspect ratio so I don't expect it will flex much if up to strength. Sorry that is a bit of a generalisation.
I will size a single tapered spruce spar to match you flight loads. That will help those wanting to respar the whole wing.

Allan
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:44 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
Very impressive for Hobbico to stand up for the product, just on their response so far makes them deserve any business we can give them!
Good to see Hobbico support. In New Zealand (where I live) the distributer has a legal obligation to see that products are fit for use. In addition aircraft over 33 pounds come under CAA rules and must be certified by the Large Model Association under model flying NZ. This includes ARFs. I would have to say that this Ka-8 could well attract Civil Aviation attention if flown here.
It would be interesting to know how US regulations apply but perhaps we shouldn't go there.

Allan
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK1 View Post
Good to see Hobbico support. In New Zealand (where I live) the distributer has a legal obligation to see that products are fit for use. In addition aircraft over 33 pounds come under CAA rules and must be certified by the Large Model Association under model flying NZ. This includes ARFs. I would have to say that this Ka-8 could well attract Civil Aviation attention if flown here.
It would be interesting to know how US regulations apply but perhaps we shouldn't go there.

Allan
Interesting you say that Allan I wonder weather Australia has the same legal obligation? I have sent an email to the importer requesting further information. It will be interesting to see what their response is.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181