HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:10 AM
Registered User
Germany, Berlin
Joined May 2005
15 Posts
Hi Steve.

The joke is, there is no extraweight. All the usual lead in the nose was replaced by the electric components. Only 30 lb over all.
axl* is offline Find More Posts by axl*
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:33 AM
Registered User
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,123 Posts
Hi Axl*

Excellent!

Do you recall what brand of electric motor you are using and the model number. Any vibration issues with the prop extension?

Also, have you heard of any wing failures from the German pilots?

Regards,

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:39 AM
Vintage wood is the best!
SZD16's Avatar
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,851 Posts
30lbs. ?? Mine non-electric one is 35 lbs......how in the heck did you lose 5 lbs?
SZD16 is online now Find More Posts by SZD16
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:37 PM
k2k
Registered User
k2k's Avatar
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2003
434 Posts
Here is the Mikey load test on Dans Ka-8 yesterday. There is a small spot of Ultracote that will never be the same. Dan put about six flights on it which included multiple loops with no problems. Dan decided to beef up the aluminum tubes with a 3/4 diameter chrome-moly steel tube full length insert with 1/16 wall thickness. Each tube was about 2.5# which brings the flying weight up to about 37#. It flew very nicely.

The outer panels seem to be ok. Im going over all of the glue joints in the inner third of the sub spar with some Titebond and inspecting carefully for any flaws. Hopefully any serious problems will show up on the load test.
k2k is offline Find More Posts by k2k
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:46 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
SZD16's Avatar
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,851 Posts
So Dan's is unmodified except for the addition of the steel in the joiners?
SZD16 is online now Find More Posts by SZD16
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:50 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Jan 2007
179 Posts
I was a witness to History.
The load test that is......

Mark
PT Glider is offline Find More Posts by PT Glider
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:53 PM
Registered User
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,130 Posts
Load Test

I don't see them really pulling up too hard on the wings. Funny picture but not a whole lot solace for a guy that is minus his K8B due to wing failure.

See Ya,


Pat


Quote:
Originally Posted by k2k View Post
Here is the Mikey load test on Dans Ka-8 yesterday. There is a small spot of Ultracote that will never be the same. Dan put about six flights on it which included multiple loops with no problems. Dan decided to beef up the aluminum tubes with a 3/4 diameter chrome-moly steel tube full length insert with 1/16 wall thickness. Each tube was about 2.5# which brings the flying weight up to about 37#. It flew very nicely.

The outer panels seem to be ok. Im going over all of the glue joints in the inner third of the sub spar with some Titebond and inspecting carefully for any flaws. Hopefully any serious problems will show up on the load test.
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:55 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,895 Posts
Looks like they were a little confused with the 'load' part of the test.
J
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:55 PM
k2k
Registered User
k2k's Avatar
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2003
434 Posts
Don't take the Mikey load test too seriously.

Dan's wings are unmodified with the exception of sliding the steel tubes inside of the existing aluminum tubes. I suspect that they are not needed for his plane. There was no evidence of main or sub spar damage after his flights. His thought process was that the steel tube might bend but not let go if the spars started to let go. I don't know how well this would really work.

Dan had a nice idea for the nose skid. He bent a piece of 3/16" music wire to shape and fitted it into a groove he cut in the bottom, then glued it into place. It worked very well on the tarmac.
k2k is offline Find More Posts by k2k
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:27 PM
Registered User
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,123 Posts
K2K, on your mods, did you rework both the top and bottom main spars of the inner wing panels only?

Also, just to be clear, did you start with the 1/32" plywood shear webs at the tip end of the inner panel and worked your way to the root switching over to balsa as you approached the root or was it the other way round?

TIA,

Stefve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:28 PM
Registered User
Germany, Berlin
Joined May 2005
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Hi Axl*

Excellent!

Do you recall what brand of electric motor you are using and the model number. Any vibration issues with the prop extension?

Also, have you heard of any wing failures from the German pilots?

Regards,

Steve
Hi Steve.

Its a Torcman TM430-40 Triton F3A

http://torcman.de/motoren/tm430/NT430-40_h.jpg

Here is my special manufacturing



Good cooling is necessary!

No vibrations with this very good shaft and the ball bearing in the nose. Well balanced prop too.

One guy crashed his Ka 8 but I think he has done some aerobatics. ARF always has some risk of bad finish.

Regards

Axel
axl* is offline Find More Posts by axl*
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:31 PM
Registered User
Germany, Berlin
Joined May 2005
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZD16 View Post
30lbs. ?? Mine non-electric one is 35 lbs......how in the heck did you lose 5 lbs?
I think 13,8KG are 30lbs?

No probs with the structure here:

Ka 8 Tragfläche Test.mp4 (0 min 21 sec)
axl* is offline Find More Posts by axl*
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:30 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2009
174 Posts
steel tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2k View Post
Don't take the Mikey load test too seriously.

Dan's wings are unmodified with the exception of sliding the steel tubes inside of the existing aluminum tubes. I suspect that they are not needed for his plane. There was no evidence of main or sub spar damage after his flights. His thought process was that the steel tube might bend but not let go if the spars started to let go. I don't know how well this would really work.

Dan had a nice idea for the nose skid. He bent a piece of 3/16" music wire to shape and fitted it into a groove he cut in the bottom, then glued it into place. It worked very well on the tarmac.
Did the steel tubes extend past the stock alum. ones, full length? How did he join or secure the 3/4" tubes inside the 1 1/4 alum ones? Thanks.
flyingfever is offline Find More Posts by flyingfever
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:59 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
Sailhigh's Avatar
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,785 Posts
Nice mount for that motor axl*.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:19 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2009
174 Posts
Hopefully here are some pictures of my electric install and other mods. Wanted ample power to launch from short fields, so installed a 160 series (63mm dia) outrunner, 2700 watt, 70 amp, 10 cell, 24 lbs. static thrust with Graupner 20x11 folding prop. Also wanted the installation, along with spruce & ply stiffeners, to add considerable strengh to handle the power.
flyingfever is offline Find More Posts by flyingfever
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alert Phoenix 6 Meter K8 One Time Special Order SteveR Scale Sailplanes 393 Jul 19, 2012 08:40 PM
Discussion PHOENIX Evolution 2.6 dougind Electric Sailplanes 1 Jun 16, 2012 09:40 AM
For Sale Hitech Eclipse tranmitter and 8 Receivers on 6 meters for sale or trade. model medic Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Apr 02, 2012 09:06 AM
Alert Last Call for the Phoenix 6 Meter K8 Sailplane SteveR Scale Sailplanes 5 Nov 22, 2011 07:24 AM