Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:11 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,818 Posts
It flys!
CG set at 150mm because that was the general consences on the German forums needed to ad noise weight to get it fly.....instructions say 120mm ..... It might need a bit more so start at 120 and work back.... Other then that it's a pussy cat!
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:45 AM
Holland
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
The 150 mm CG position is in combination with less callage, often the horizontal stabilizer is raised around 5 mm at the front.
Harm is offline Find More Posts by Harm
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,110 Posts
Well I went to pick up my K8B this morning at my LHS and it had been damaged in shipment. One end of the box looked like it had been run over by the truck and there was damage to the fuse and one wing root was wasted. So I will probably be waiting until next shipment now.
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:25 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,256 Posts
FWIW, a bunch of photos of Tom's new plane beginning with the shots in this post...

http://www.rcaerotowing.com/forum/sh...ll=1#post12357

It seems to fly great, worked lift well. I have a long go-pro movie of it flying. Hope post soon.
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:44 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,818 Posts
Thanks Steve.......it seems that every time I was flying it you where also flying so I never got a chance to hand it off to you......in Elmira you can get some stick time!
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:52 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,110 Posts
I was just over at my LHS and it sounds like Great Plains has had several K8B's that were damaged in one way or another so I hope for the best for you guys that are waiting on one. They told my guy that they had not ordered spare parts but it looked like they may have some as people are either sending them back and from ones that haven't even made it out the door that are damaged. The fuse damage on mine could be easily fixed but the wing root damage would be a major undertaking since it looked the wing carry through and the spar may have sustained damage.

See Ya,

Pat
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:02 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,818 Posts
Well that sucks....with what we pay for shipping you think they would be treated a bit better.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Jul 2009
161 Posts
Ka8

Got mine today--fuse, tips, tail, hardware in one box, most stuff wrapped in bubble, and taped to inside of boxes. Two main wings in a second box, wrapped
and taped, and both boxes were inside an outside cover box, so no visable damage. Good luck to all the rest. Now, where to start. Bob
flyingfever is offline Find More Posts by flyingfever
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:32 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,818 Posts
Start at the beginning!
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:54 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,818 Posts
33 lbs. 6 oz.
As it sits right now.....it is flying with down trim so that would indicate that I need to raise the leading edge of the stab.....5 mm seems to be what all the cool kids are doing so I will start there and fly it and then start to take lead back out of the nose.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Jul 2009
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZD16 View Post
33 lbs. 6 oz.
As it sits right now.....it is flying with down trim so that would indicate that I need to raise the leading edge of the stab.....5 mm seems to be what all the cool kids are doing so I will start there and fly it and then start to take lead back out of the nose.
Have you messured yours the way it came? Seems like the latest reports indicated the new version was somewhat corrected, and didn't need as much. Maybe just confusion during the translation porocess. How much lead did you start with? Thanks.
flyingfever is offline Find More Posts by flyingfever
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:46 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,818 Posts
No, I have not measured it yet....but I will. I started with the CG at 150 back which is at the front edge of the first aluminum tube and it was tail heavy by a bunch! Twice added lead to it and it flys real nice now but with down trim......hence the need to shim the leading edge of the stab.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:35 AM
Holland
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
You can leave the callage as it is (around 4) and go with the forward CG-piosition of 120 mm. This way the flight envelope for good performance is quite small but the thermal capabilities at slow speed probably superb.

Lessening the callage to around 2 - 2.5 (lifting up the front of the horizontal stabilizer) and moving back the CG-position to around 150 mm gives a more versatile all round performance.
Harm is offline Find More Posts by Harm
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:23 AM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,002 Posts
which electric spilers are people using?

LP
Slope P is offline Find More Posts by Slope P
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:20 AM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,818 Posts
I just bought the last set Esprit had.....sorry!

http://www.espritmodel.com/airplanes...-spoilers.aspx