SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Does anyone have solid models of parts for Kestrel ornithopter or park hawk?

I recently purchased plans for the kestrel ornithopter. Im wondering if anyone has made solid models (CAD) of any of the parts? I've read that these two ornithopters are similar so parts from both may be interchangeable. It would surely speed up the process of making the ornithopter. It would also make it easier and faster to prototype since the actual plans are lacking lots of dimensions and tolerances.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
unaranjo is offline Find More Posts by unaranjo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:44 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Uanaranjo.

Having both the plans for the Kestral (See my slow build thread) and a recently recieved Park Hawk 4 (only 1 week old) - i can confirm they are of simular size / shape (main body) and the wings are almost identical as is the tail....but the mechanics are a different world apart, you can see the evolution in the Park Hawk flapping system.

As for missing dimensions on the Kestral plans - yes, that is one of the reasons i deviated at an early stage... But i hope to get my Kestral in the air this week or next just to prove i took the right direction (Weather dependant).

Mike.
Snetzka is offline Find More Posts by Snetzka
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
So in your slow build thread you stated that you deviated from the original design. Did you make changes so that it is closer to the park hawk?
Also, I haven't found any good pictures illustrating the difference in the flapping mechanism between the kestrel and the park hawk. Would you say that the mechanics in the park hawk are superior to the kestrel or is it a matter of preference?
unaranjo is offline Find More Posts by unaranjo
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:00 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
My Park Hawk is only two weeks old and the Kestral build has been going considerably longer.... Today (as soon as my fingers thaw out) i will take a few shots of the Park Hawk mecanics so you can make your own judgement.

Mike..
Snetzka is offline Find More Posts by Snetzka
Last edited by Snetzka; Jun 29, 2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Missed a word.