SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Jun 2012
7 Posts
First off my apologies for the lack of updates. I've only been updating from my phone at work as time allows. Though I have made some small progress!

Thanks for the info on slurry. I am hoping only to use the guar gum to bind the water a hair so it doesn't all mist away. After seeing the video above though, I may not need it at all! I did get a mock up belly tank together using card stock (like pepakura) to test the drop system. I still have to coat the paper in 2 part plastic to water proof it and make it stronger. I'll do some static drops then do some drops in front of a ppv fan which should generate close to 30-40 mph winds. I'll take some video and post up the results.

Awesome video!!! Makes me quite excited to know that there is hope of making this work and look good! Ive looked high and low for a video like that with no luck.

I have been working a little on the wing. I think there is some hope of salvaging whats already been cut. I feel like even with the redesign i would still face the same issues.

I promise as soon as I get back I'll get some proof that im actually working on it!
Midnight Express is offline Find More Posts by Midnight Express
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:52 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,895 Posts
Hey Midnight,

If you're not too far along in your design, Flying Models magazine had a plan and construction article for an electric RC P-3 Orion a couple of years back. I think it was about 48" span, but you could easily scale it up if you were so inclined. I'll dig it out if you'd like.

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,410 Posts
I think you are referring to John Hunton's P-3--it was a nice flier!
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Jun 2012
7 Posts
I've seen a couple pictures of that P-3. Its the only scale RC P-3 I could find any pictures of, and I only found a handful. I think right now I'm ready to, well, wing it. I will keep that in mind though should I have a major set back with the path I'm on.

So finally some pictures as promised of the small amount of progress. The belly tank mock up is pretty rough and still needs the 2 part plastic coating on the cardstock. Its already been a big help in showing me some tweaks that will need to be made to the design.

Hope to have some more wing ribs cut out and maybe even attached this weekend, but its already thurs isnt it!

Thanks again for all the info and support!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:50 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,421 Posts
You might have already considered this, but just in case you haven't, be sure to design baffles into your tank design to prevent the water from sloshing around inside the tank
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:53 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
Awsome Keep it Up!!
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:04 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Used to live in Mountain View, CA. right next to Moffatt Field NAS. They have been fly'in Lockeed P-3 Orions over there forever. Good to see someone doing a complete scratch build. I believe it's for the most part easier than the older style kit builds. but be sure to expose yourself to all the designs possible as far as wing termination, mounting, fuse forming w/ balsa. All the "taken for granted" things that "we" scratchbuilders undertake. It's a design task at least and it always ongoing. Hardly nothing is for certin except a few basic expectations. That is what makes this (your) undertaking so special & increatable. The P-3 Orion is one of the most overpowered and still smooth flyers out there. This aircraft is really cool. Good luck & I'll be watching your progress.

Good build'in

Doug
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:44 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Subbed. I've always wanted to do one of the NOAA Hurricane Hunter WP-3D Orions someday (after I do their twotter that I flew on). I've been on board the "Ms Piggy" Orion during a tour of the facilities there, but didn't fly in it.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:39 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Yup, these are older aircraft, but invinceable,,,taxi'ed in one once myself. What a cockpit.

Midnight Ex, keep it going man!
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:09 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
137 Posts
Hi Midnight express, any progress on the P-3. Would love to hear an update.
Kevc is online now Find More Posts by Kevc
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:07 PM
747-400
alaska
Joined Mar 2007
475 Posts
Keep up the nice work!
w747 is online now Find More Posts by w747
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Jun 2012
7 Posts
I'm still in the planning stages for this to some extent. I have almost all of the design done on the computer now, I just need to upgrade my license on the software so I can send it to be CNCed. I originally intended to just hand cut all of the pieces, but I did not have the patience and there where quite a bit of anomalies in the cut ribs that made me concerned. Not to mention with a hobby knife, time consuming.
The more I read about the Aero Union and the P-3s, it doesn't sound like they will ever fly to fight fires in the US again, which makes me want to finish this project all that much more.

However with that being said, I have the opportunity to pursue my Private pilot and hopefully on to my commercial rating with the intent to fly SEATs(yes sir! single engine air tankers!) I just got my headset in today in the mail and I'm quite excited. So as you can imagine, most of my funding is heading that way.

I still plan on acquiring the license I need and send the wings and fuselage to be cut sometime in July. So don't give up on my yet!
Old Jun 04, 2013, 06:08 PM
United States, CA, Los Altos
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
Don't worry. I'm still here! Glad to see that you're still working at it! I would love to see what it turns out to be
JulietKiloMike is offline Find More Posts by JulietKiloMike
Old Jun 04, 2013, 06:22 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,410 Posts
John Hunton published a nice electric powered P-3 about your size in Flying Models about 8-9 years ago.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily