HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
Funny story...Noob with lots of questions?

Hi all.

First I want to introduce myself. My name is James and I live in the pacific northwest. I am a long time static model builder but have just been introduced to RC and was thinking about diving in. Right of the bat I realize that their is TONS to learn before I get off the ground but thankfully I have a friend whos willing to help train me.

A few months ago I was talking to a friend whos father had recently passed on. We were talking about my hobby of static modeling and she wondered if I would be interested in RC? I said I knew little about it but would be willing to give it a try. She then told me that her late father was big into RC planes and wanted to know if would like to have some of his RC stuff and I said sure. She then tells me I will need a truck to haul all of it. I thought she was meaning some long stuff like wings so I just took my van. No, she really ment a truck load of stuff! It was a very large haul of planes,engines,radios,recievers,tanks,plans,parts and on and on!

So now I have all this stuff and Im not sure where to start!

I'm still sorting through it all but I think I may sell some of it to fund my first trainer.

One thing that was really cool in one of the boxs was some pilot heads (still in the bags) that I had packaged some 20 years ago when I worked at Williams bros.

I would fly one of the 2 planes I got but they are stick and paper and dont have the heart to wreck one of the planes her dad built.

So, I got 7 engines in one of the boxs. All italian Super Tigre's.
2-.46 G-21's
2-S-40's
1-.25 series x W/blue head
1-G-60 w/blue head
1-S-25 .29

The S-25 is still in the box unused and the G60 has a repair slip from a hobby shop for new bearings and has a ring in the box.

What Im wondering is which ones should I keep and what is the history of Super Tigre engines?
I know a couple a vintage but have no idea what years they were made.

I will be going through the radios and servos next week to get a better idea of what to use.

Also, what kind of trainer would you guys suggest?

Thanks
Russianfist is offline Find More Posts by Russianfist
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,441 Posts
You'd probably do better asking in the glow section since it sounds like you're mostly dealing with glow fuel engines as opposed to the electric motors that we use around here.

Welcome to the site and the hobby, though. Sounds like you should be pretty well set to get going....
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Opps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
You'd probably do better asking in the glow section since it sounds like you're mostly dealing with glow fuel engines as opposed to the electric motors that we use around here.

Welcome to the site and the hobby, though. Sounds like you should be pretty well set to get going....
Just realized thai I did post in the wrong forum. Can one of the mods move this post? Thanks.
Russianfist is offline Find More Posts by Russianfist
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:00 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,441 Posts
Generally you have to report your own post and then choose "Move this thread". The moderation here is almost totally reactive so they won't see your request unless you throw it at them.

Remember, though: Once you get sick of washing the oily residue off your planes and trying to scrub the fuel smell out of your car when it spills, come on back to the good side and put some nice electric gear in those planes
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,319 Posts
I'm completely electric and live in Seattle. I know there are a number of flying clubs around here and several are nitro based. I believe you can get instruction at many of them and that might well be worth pursuing. For the cost of a basic trainer you can join a club, likely use their trainer gear, and have a new group of friends to learn from.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:48 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,371 Posts
I would suggest you invest in a good computer simulator, and find a local club. Internet research is great, but no substitute for having an experienced person there to help.

Where are you located?
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:14 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,474 Posts
I remember Super Tigre from my early rc plane days. They weren't quite as popular as OS at the time, but they were around and guys did use them. Personally I'd do away with the glow engines as I'm not a glow guy. Any planes he has that are glow can be converted to electric fairly easily.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker