HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:36 PM
FPV-ophile
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Oct 2010
372 Posts
Discussion
Theoretically using a Naza to control an Octocopter?

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Flame Wheel F450 with a Naza. I love it so far, one thing i would love to do in the future is attempt to convert it to an x8 octo, using the Naza.

My theory is that you could take the signal, power, and ground output for each channel, and split it into 2 different speed controllers, one for the top motor and one for the bottom.

The picture may explain better. Sorry, never have been the greatest with MS Paint

My thoughts are the Naza would never realize there are 2 motors. I guess it would be like having a REALLY big motor on each arm.

Let me know what you guys think, and if this could be possible?

*edit: actually i realize now that splitting the power and ground would be a bad idea, and could fry the Naza. So actually you just have to split the signal i guess?
Kahuna717 is offline Find More Posts by Kahuna717
Last edited by Kahuna717; Jun 27, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:55 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
All you have to do is to buy four "Y" connector for servos. Then you just plug in two ESC's into one. Works like a charm.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:57 PM
FPV-ophile
Joined Oct 2010
372 Posts
Well yeah i realize this, but has anybody ever attempted this? I wonder how would yaw work if there were 8 motors all counter rotating? Would the counter rotation cancel out the yaw?

Sorry if thats a dumb question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
All you have to do is to buy four "Y" connector for servos. Then you just plug in two ESC's into one. Works like a charm.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:32 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
the octo setup with Y has been used for few years already on UAVP and other controllers. you don't use counter rotating. you use same direction on each corner.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:55 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna717 View Post
Well yeah i realize this, but has anybody ever attempted this? I wonder how would yaw work if there were 8 motors all counter rotating? Would the counter rotation cancel out the yaw?

Sorry if thats a dumb question.
Yes I have. You don't use all 8 motors counter rotating. Just think of it as a quad with two motors on each corner. Not the most efficient but it works.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:14 PM
FPV-ophile
Joined Oct 2010
372 Posts
OH, cool! So you did use the Quad motor setup in the assistant right?

Looks like i will have to try this. I wonder if i can figure out a way to mount other motors on my flamewheel f450 arms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Yes I have. You don't use all 8 motors counter rotating. Just think of it as a quad with two motors on each corner. Not the most efficient but it works.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:22 PM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
I did it with a Gaui GU-INS flight controller. If the props spin counter to each other it wont Yaw. They have to both spin in the same direction, with this cheat, which works, but is super inefficient. You could experiment with different props top and bottom.

Others have said you can set it up like a flat octo (not over under motors) and still do the Y split cheat by treating each pair of motors in the circle as one. I did not try it as I wanted a small frame.

here are two threads of interest...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1600584
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1643328

phil
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
FPV-ophile
Joined Oct 2010
372 Posts
Thanks! this looks like a nice project for the future! I really love the look of the x8 but i hate the inefficiency of it.

Thanks all! i didnt realize this had been attempted already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
I did it with a Gaui GU-INS flight controller. If the props spin counter to each other it wont Yaw. They have to both spin in the same direction, with this cheat, which works, but is super inefficient. You could experiment with different props top and bottom.

Others have said you can set it up like a flat octo (not over under motors) and still do the Y split cheat by treating each pair of motors in the circle as one. I did not try it as I wanted a small frame.

here are two threads of interest...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1600584
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1643328

phil
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:39 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna717 View Post
OH, cool! So you did use the Quad motor setup in the assistant right?

Looks like i will have to try this. I wonder if i can figure out a way to mount other motors on my flamewheel f450 arms?
you mean like this? it is my Y550 setup. you can minimize efficiency by using bit higher pitch prop on the bottom
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:40 PM
FPV-ophile
Joined Oct 2010
372 Posts
NICE!!

Now how did you do those motor mounts? I assume you cut off the landing legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
you mean like this? it is my Y550 setup. you can minimize efficiency by using bit higher pitch prop on the bottom
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:46 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
yes, you have to cut off the leg and come up with longer LG. this is from the y550 conversion kit that we are planning. ;D

biggest issue with 450 is the smaller size. I mean, you need lg extension, but you don't have lot of room for putting LG if you make it X8. why Y550 makes more sense.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:48 PM
FPV-ophile
Joined Oct 2010
372 Posts
NICE!

but you obviously havent seen my f450 long landing gear isn't a problem!!

*edit: where will this conversion kit be available, when it is?

Quote:
yes, you have to cut off the leg and come up with longer LG. this is from the y550 conversion kit that we are planning. ;D

biggest issue with 450 is the smaller size. I mean, you need lg extension, but you don't have lot of room for putting LG if you make it X8. why Y550 makes more sense.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:55 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
pm me and we can talk about it LOL. I would be interested in seeing it on 450 and tested as X8. that would be cool
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:00 PM
FPV-ophile
Joined Oct 2010
372 Posts
PM'd

Quote:
pm me and we can talk about it LOL. I would be interested in seeing it on 450 and tested as X8. that would be cool
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:07 AM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but any of you guys tried this method? does it work?
I'm seriously considering the rctimer F800(S800 clone) but I really like an octo build with naza to save some money?
Any thoughts
and is their any cheap good alternative FC to Wookong that does octomotors?

Best,
Dastan
Dastan is offline Find More Posts by Dastan