SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by dambit, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:38 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,820 Posts
OK,

I've modeled the wooden style paddle prop now and have done a short animation showing both types. I am in the process of modelling the mold parts and converting them to the correct file types for the milling machines. (annoying process)

Here is the link for the animation.

Metal Style Prop & Wooden Style Prop (0 min 31 sec)

Cheers,

Steve
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:23 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,889 Posts
Impressive work, I am looking forward to seeing how these turn out!

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:43 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,820 Posts
Just a small update.

The original company I was getting the prop molds CNC'd from decided to double their quoted price (douchbags). I have just spent the last week or so getting quotes from other places and have found a company who will 3d print the prop blade itself. This is actually better because then I can test fit the piece and make any adjustments etc before making the mold. So I have been fine tuning the blades airfoil on the 3d model and am now ready to "print" it out. (that sounds so weird )
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:55 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
Just a small update.

The original company I was getting the prop molds CNC'd from decided to double their quoted price (douchbags). I have just spent the last week or so getting quotes from other places and have found a company who will 3d print the prop blade itself. This is actually better because then I can test fit the piece and make any adjustments etc before making the mold. So I have been fine tuning the blades airfoil on the 3d model and am now ready to "print" it out. (that sounds so weird )
That will be cool for the POC, but prolly not for final parts...... Interesting anyway.
spinnetti is online now Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:30 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,820 Posts
Yeah it won't be the final part. I'm just getting one printed as a master. I can then use it for test fitting etc. I will then make a mold from it so that I can cast the functional blades from that.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:29 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Yeah it won't be the final part. I'm just getting one printed as a master. I can then use it for test fitting etc. I will then make a mold from it so that I can cast the functional blades from that.
Yep, sounds good!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:15 PM
I still get nervous on final
Richmond, VA
Joined Mar 2007
415 Posts
Very impressive work indeed.

I appreciate scale modeling, but I would guess that very few modelers design, and fabricate their own props. I've read some theory on propeller aerodynamics, but I cannot imagine creating my own from scratch.

BUD...
FlyDude is offline Find More Posts by FlyDude
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:32 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,820 Posts
Cheers mate. Yeah I I've been doing a lot of research into the topic, but I'm more of a bench person than theory so the only thing left for me to do now is build them and then test them. I'm building a little test stand for my motor and some side and top shields for the carnage
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:06 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,820 Posts
Ok,

While I wait for the scale props to be made, I remembered that I had previously made a propeller for the 190 that is not quite scale but has the paddle look, and is at the same diameter as the stock props. So I have dusted off the mold and cast three new blades for some testing. These props previously flew quite well on the 1400mm Spitfire (I made these in anticipation of the 190's release) so I am eager to see how they perform on the 190. The prop doesn't have a perfect airfoil but is still quite effective. My only concern is over revving the props and having them fly apart

Here are some pics before paint.
Last edited by dambit; Aug 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:45 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Ok,

While I wait for the scale props to be made, I remembered that I had previously made a propeller for the 190 that is not quite scale but has the paddle look, and is at the same diameter as the stock props. So I have dusted off the mold and cast three new blades for some testing. These props previously flew quite well on the 1400mm Spitfire (I made these in anticipation of the 190's release) so I am eager to see how they perform on the 190. The prop doesn't have a perfect airfoil but is still quite effective. My only concern is over revving the props and having them fly apart

Here are some pics before paint.
Looks "the business!" nice job...
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:48 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,820 Posts
Flight Report

Took the 190 to the field this arvo with the expectation that it would be coming home with some damage . To my amazement all went very well and she's still in one piece.

I started with some static RPM runs. Max RPM reached with the stock 580KV motor powered by a 4S 25-30C : 5400RPM
The theoretical max for a charged 4S battery is 9744RPM. This highlights how much theory and practical don't match up. Also doesn't factor in the propeller losses.

Anyway, having been totally surprised that the blades didn't fly off the hub, I lined her up for takeoff with a 15kt 25deg crosswind. It flew exactly the same as the stock blades on 4S but with a better sound . I was again surprised by this as I was sure they wouldn't be as efficient.

So all in all, I am very pleased with these blades. Not only do they look better than stock, but they work very well.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:50 AM
Always too close to the ground
Australia, QLD, Carrara
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Hi Dambit, any update on the progress?
Strafing is offline Find More Posts by Strafing
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:44 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,820 Posts
Yeah mate, I just put the order in today with the 3d printing place and am told it will be ready by Tuesday. From then it will take a couple of days to get the molds made and cast the first batch of blades ready for testing. So I'm looking at late next week to go for a test flight etc.

I have designed what I call a semi-scale blade. It is the same diameter as the stock blades, but has a scale profile. Later I will get the proper scale blade made too.
Closed Thread