SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by dambit, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:11 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,825 Posts
Build Log
Custom Propellers For the FMS FW-190

Ok All,

Over the last couple of months I have been going through the process of building my own scale propellers for my FMS 1.4m FW-190 A/8. I've had some success but my first props needed lots of refinement. They were too thick and too heavy in all the wrong places. The master for the first set of blades was carved from balsa wood. I then boxed it into a two part mold from which I could cast the functional blades. I used a rigid two part polyurethane plastic for these blades. It's a good material but as I said, the weight distribution of the blade was all wrong. Too heavy towards the tips and not enough material at the root. Plus the airfoil shape itself was not ideal. (my first attemp, give me a break. At least they flew.....once anyway )

Link to my videos of the Prop tests are below.

Walk Around:
FMS FW-190 A/8 Scale Propeller Project (4 min 15 sec)

First Flight:
FMS FW-190 Scale Prop Test Flight 1 (2 min 42 sec)

After the destruction of the first V1 blades, I decided that I'm pretty crap at wood carving and since my main skill set is digital design/3d modeling, I should just design them that way and get the mold milled from a local CNC mob. So after a few hours on the PC I came up with the following design. It is a model of the early propellers that were used from the A/3 up to A/8 (some of them). I have contacted a CNC shop in Melbourne and they should begin my job next week, which means that in two weeks I should have the molds in my hot little hands

I have attached pics of the different real world props styles and my design.

Latest Design in CG (The red parts are the actual molds I'm having milled):
FW-190 Custom Propellers Digital Preview (0 min 31 sec)
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Last edited by dambit; Jul 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:26 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Excellent work! Can't wait to see the final results on the plane with watts and amps.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:58 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Looking good! You probably know already, but the narrower chord props were metal (VDM I think) and as the war went on and material got scarce, the went to the fat chord wooden props if memory serves.
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,825 Posts
Yeah I had a picture somewhere of the process they used to make them. All the laminated pieces joined before milling. I'll try to find it.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:29 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
Yeah I had a picture somewhere of the process they used to make them. All the laminated pieces joined before milling. I'll try to find it.
Yep, props are still made that way today. I checked out the real thing again on the FW-190D at the airforce museum last week. In fact, I'm thinking I might just make a "real" prop, by laminating thin ply then cnc machining it. Just need a accurate solid model of the blades.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:48 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,825 Posts
That would be cool.

Just in case people are wondering, once all my testing is complete and I am confident in the durability, I fully intend on making these props available for purchase as an alternative to the stock blades. Not sure on the exact details yet, but will be once testing is complete.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:55 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
That would be cool.

Just in case people are wondering, once all my testing is complete and I am confident in the durability, I fully intend on making these props available for purchase as an alternative to the stock blades. Not sure on the exact details yet, but will be once testing is complete.
That should be cool.. Imo, I'd pick one blade style or the other and try to get it as close as possible to get the scale crowd... I'm pretty sure your middle picture above is a replica of the metal "thin" prop, not the "fat" wooden one. That chord is huge. I've got pics of both at home if you want me to post some. I took some pics at the Technical museum in Munich and at the Smithsonian of them too.
Last edited by spinnetti; Jun 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:09 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,825 Posts
That would be great if you post those pics, as I would like to get this blade as close as possible (while still being functional for RC). The closest FW-190 to me is 2000km away, and it's a replica, so I have had to rely on design drawings (which don't detail the props) and online pictures.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:15 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
That would be great if you post those pics, as I would like to get this blade as close as possible (while still being functional for RC). The closest FW-190 to me is 2000km away, and it's a replica, so I have had to rely on design drawings (which don't detail the props) and online pictures.
Ok, I'll dig some up.. I found a good drawing showing both props on the webs.. (plus the pics)
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:27 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Here ya go. The fatties were typically on the late war models.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:13 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,825 Posts
Cheers mate, those are very helpfull pics. I must say that's the first blade I've seen with that hump at the beginning of the leading edge.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:00 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Cheers mate, those are very helpfull pics. I must say that's the first blade I've seen with that hump at the beginning of the leading edge.
NP.. yep, that "hump" is how you tell the wood ones...
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:58 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,825 Posts
Ah ok then. The modern props made by MT Propellers don't have this hump, but I suppose that's because they are metal.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:59 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Ah ok then. The modern props made by MT Propellers don't have this hump, but I suppose that's because they are metal.
Yeah. metal and wood are completely different. you kinda have to see them in person. The wooden ones have huge blades and the "hump", and the metal ones are rather slim. The only reason the wood ones existed is due to metals shortages.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:41 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,825 Posts
Well that's sorted then, I'll stick to the metal version of the prop. I like it better
I'll do the wood version too I suppose. Got to have the choice.
Closed Thread