HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by erdnuckel2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:50 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggad View Post
I found this on Youtube:

Is it possible/safe to use 3S batteries on the Hoten-X ?
You are asking two questions:
Is it possible to use 3S batteries on the HOTEN X? Obviously YES! (like it is possible to use 3S batteries in so many other 2S crafts/helis - just see the guys that use the BigLama batteries in a V4)

Second question: Is it SAFE to do so?? And that is a LOT more tricky! As far as my personal experience goes: I have NO clue! Sorry, I can tell you that I personally know people who run 3S batteries on a system that is only said to be 2S - without problems ... but they say its at your own risk and need not work out for everybody.

Personally, I doubt that I would try it (even less if the thing about the 2400mAh 3S battery is merely a comment and does NOT have its own video to proof it!!!)
Look at the cost of replacing a motor/motors or the ESC (which would mean the whole board) for trying it just because someone WRITES it works ... you could basically go and buy a new 180$ + shipping BNF HOTEN.
If that is worth it for you, then sure, try it. But to be honest, its not worth it for me (again, maybe if I saw a couple videos where guys are doing it, but just based on a comment, Thank you, but NO THANK YOU!)

Sorry I dont have a better idea for you.
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:23 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
Coming soon: MJX X100

Yay, I have an announcement to make ...

I just checked the USPS tracking system and my LAME friends in NY were able to process the package with the X100 MUCH quicker than usual ...
... so it is listed as going through the sort facility in Philly already. Despite the fact that the postal guys in Philly lately try their best to once again compete with NY (albeit in delivering crappy processing times ...) I have a glimmer of hope that it might be delivered tomorrow (which means the first post COULD (and that is a VERY big could) follow on Sunday if I really get it tomorrow

I´ll keep you posted ...

... TO BE CONTINUED!!! ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,619 Posts
I asked Terrence with Chinesjade if a 3s battery could be used on the HX. He told me it was not a very good idea to try because the FC and ESCs on the HX are very expensive if things go wrong.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:02 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Nice blog!
Subscribed
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:32 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
Nice blog!
Subscribed
Thank you!
(I do what I can to keep it entertaining and informative ...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
The MJX X100 - a review in parts

Part1:

The "package"

Hi Folks, E2 does it again ... and takes one for the team (ie spends 50$ for the "common good" without knowing if I should just have rather put it in a week of airport food ... ...)

Anyway, so here is my review, the first part to be exact, which is all about what you get when you order the MJX X100:
I ordered my craft from goodluckbuy - and that name seems to be "program". It was a "goodluckbuy" - and when it arrived, I truly thought I had "run out of it" ...

It was the typical chinese free shipping package, packed with the usual dilligence and attention to detail ... and of course a burning desire to make absolutely sure the "enduser" gets the product after its roughly 15000mile journey in pristine condition!!! (OK, enough with the sarcasm, you all know that I find the way these companies pack the stuff INSULTING, but I also know that for free shipping and the low price it is (well, considering for what you get anyway) you cant really expect a lot more ... even though SOME vendors actually lead by example and proof that it is possible differently ... but GOODLUCKBUY is surely NONE of them ...)

So, the package arrived on Friday night (I just did not try to open it until this morning, as I would not have been able to take [good] pictures of it anyway) and the first impression was : OMFG!!!
This one was in really bad shape (compared to all the other packages I received lately - and that was quite a few! btw) and I was seriously concerned, for once I would get one DOA (which is not for "Department of Aviation" btw ...)
The box was really beat up badly and showed it must have been thrown around, maybe sat on ... who knows?? Anyway, I was concerned. (and the pics will show why)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
The MJX X100 - a review in parts

Part2:

What's in the box?? ... or in this case what was left of it ...

OK, so what is in the box?? Or better, what was in mine?
The really badly banged up box contained the following:
  • The "actual" MJX X100 (duhhh ... anybody thought that could possibly NOT be the case???
  • The Transmitter (and I will have a few words on that on in a moment ...)
  • The battery
  • A USB charger(cable)
  • A set of replacement propellers
  • ONE manual and the warranty sheet (you might really need that btw ...)

And now hold your breath, and let's get started!
The "actual" X100:
As I mentioned, my "relationship" with this craft definitely started out on the wrong foot, with a lot of bad impressions! And unfortunately, it did not stop yet.
I took the X100 out of the box and set it on the table. Without having had THAT close a look at it yet, I felt it had the rubber pads on the "feet" - and I consider this a plus right off the bat.

Unfortunately, it did NOT stand evenly - which I definitely consider a minus. However, I thought this will be "fixed" quickly by bending the arms a little, so I did.
The arms were TOO bendable in my eyes!! - but that is due to the "frame" or however you want to call the microscopic piece of plastic that they "stick" in (so you cant blame the "bendability" on the arms after all). Plus, they seem to be metal - which again, I consider a plus ... and "oversized", ie clearly a larger dimension than for example on the UDI (so another plus)

I took off the canopy (which at first I thought is the same as the UDI, just with other colors and larger holes for the "arms", BUT it is NOT!!! Its a little smaller and higher)
Anyway, I prefer those UFO canopies quite a bit over the sadfaced Ladybug canopies of the original Ladybird and all its clones ... but that is just my personal opinion ...

Once the canopy is off, you can see the board, which does not tell me a lot (as I am electronically incredibly challenged ... ...)

What really ticked me off when I did this inspection however, was the fact that two of the 4 motors had a hair wrapped all around the motor shaft!!! Something like this just MUST NOT occur when the thing comes fresh out the box - it really indicates a lack of required and deserved caution on the part of the manufacturer ... well, or at least the dude or chick that (seemingly test flew and) packaged the craft.

Alright, so much for now for the actual craft, as I said, pre-flight the "onslaught" of bad impressions continued ...

The transmitter:
Well, that is another initially bad first impression. Cause if you consider to buy this because you think you will get a full size TX just because it looks like this on the marketing photos,

RUN!!! DON'T buy it for the TX, because the pictures are just a marketing gimmick!!! It is a TOYSIZE TX, like with all the other cheap clones !!!

However, I can - after a little more time spent with it - ease this bad impression a little (in particular after trying to FLY with the thing a bit ...)
It is actually the best of the crappy toy transmitters that I personally tried up to now ... ...
I really like the fact that the sticks are metal, not plastic and they give almost a full size feel ... well, almost ...
Some people may also not like the kind of "ratcheting" that the throttle stick does (but I guess people with a little more mechanical and electrical skills than me will fix this quickly, if they dont like it ...)
I also like the more ergonomic feel that this little (still a bit crappy) toy TX gives compared to for example the WLToys TX or the Devo4

The TX has 2 switches on the lower left:
One that says "NORM/PRO" ... I still get what that one is for ... that seems to be the D/R switch.
The other says "AILE/RUDD" and that one was a litlle more challenging. In my flight tests I learned through a bunch of immediate crashes that this is the switch that "moves" the rudder function. (First I had this switch to the left, I tried to yaw and nothing happened ... except that I crashed into a bookshelf ... ) Once I switched that one to the right position, the RUDD function was where I am used to - on the left stick
The TX has a "knob" and a button on the lower right:
The knob goes from left to right/0-100%/- to + ... and I am not yet completely sure what it is for, but I guess these percentages equal the ones on the switch on a V929 TX
The button says "FUNTION" and my guess is, it could be for flips ... did not try that yet either ...

And then, there is something that looks like a "set wheel" (and was clearly copied from the J6Pro!!! ) ... but dont worry, IT's FAKE!!! (no function whatsoever - it cannot move, nor can it be "pushed")

A rather odd (but not necessarily bad) feature about this TX is that it only needs 3 ( YES THREE!!) AA batteries!!! (Never seen this before in a TX - toy or full size)
It even has a little plastic "bridge" where you might be able to hook in a neckstrap (with a little "inventor spirit")

The battery:
Just a few words here - it is a 300mAh 15C 1S battery. (Mine came with the full 4.2V charge - which is an indication that someone probably really flew it in the factory, but of course does violate the "unwritten law" that batteries should come from the factory in "storage mode" (ie on the recommended 3.85V storage charge).
The battery has an EXACT walkera plug (also the polarity) what makes getting 3rd party batteries a lot easier (also gives access to much better stuff than 15C ...)
I weighted the battery and it came in at 8.05g on my scale. (Looks like this is a case where it is easy to supplement this battery with the 300mAh 35C nanotechs from HobbyKing ...)

The USB (charge) cable:
I will be perfectly honest, EVERY TIME I see something like this, I get a bad feeling ever since the days of killing a SymaS107 with one of these charge cables - I just cant trust them. So I will charge my battery with the stock Walkera charger from my Scorpion ... or right on the ImaxB6!

The replacement propellers:
My only observation about these is, that they seem to be a little bigger than the ones from the UDI or Ladybird (and might have just a tad more pitch, but this is probably just my imagination running wild ... ...)

THE manual!!!:

OK, this is the reason why I specifically stressed there was ONLY ONE manual (and a warranty sheet) in MY box (hopefully other buyers are more lucky than me) ...
... and this manual was ALL IN CHINESE!!!! This is another MAJOR minus in my book, because this is the reason why I crashed before I really hovered ... and why I dont have any REAL idea yet, what the knob and the FUNTION button are for ...

So overall, there where a whole lot of bad impressions already before the first flight, apart from the really banged up box! (Because the box was so banged up, the first thing I did with the TX was shake it ... and guess what? YES, I could hear sounds from the inside ... thankfully it turned out, this was just the screw that is supposed to lock the battery door - but which is essentially unnecessary, as this door already snaps shut ...

There were, HOWEVER, also a few things that I like about this craft right out of the box. The manufacturers took a few of the better ideas from other companies and combined them in one quad (the oversize arms, the rubber pads ... just to name two)
I also like the lights (even though I am usually NOT a fan of flying objects that look like a flying Christmas tree, I DO like the lights here.) There is just something I still have to set up right, as usually the WHITE LEDs indicate the front ... (it doesnt really matter with a quad usually) ...but in my case they actually indicate the back at the moment (I hope I figure out how tho change this, as my chinese is a little rusty, which promises to turn out problematic when trying to consult the CHINESE ONLY manual ... ...

Alright, so much for the pre-flight impressions (that post really got LONG enough ... flight report to follow ...)

... TO BE CONTINUED!!! ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:00 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
Geez what a rats nest under the canopy. 3 batteries only? Me thinks there's not a very long range with this quad. Anyway....fly the thing already erdnuckle! Lol
dedmonwakin is offline Find More Posts by dedmonwakin
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
49 Posts
It does seem like 4.5 volts is not enough to power a powerful transmitter, yet MJX claims that the range is 100 meters.
Nickz88 is offline Find More Posts by Nickz88
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Jun 2012
49 Posts
Erdnuckel1, the controls for the MJX X100 are listed in English under the product description. http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mj...o-p-48726.html
Nickz88 is offline Find More Posts by Nickz88
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
The MJX X100 - first impressions (flight)

Actually, this was technically already the 3rd flight I did - but I would not have done this stuff with the UDI (which cost me exactly 4$ less!!! .) The (so-called) 6axis gyro DOES show some obvious effects.
As far as the range is concerned, I have NO idea - I fly on about 12x8ft. BUT, I guarantee that once it is more than maybe 30ft away, you are not going to see anything but a little black speck anyway, so it does really not matter that much that it may not have incredibly long range (or does anybody seriously want to use this for FPV flying??? ???)

No more words though, let pictures talk ... or in this case my first X100 video (which will again mercilessly remain my lack of piloting skills .... ...)
However, it was much easier for me to keep a at least somewhat steady altitude with this one than with any of my other micro quads ...

MJX X100 2nd flight (3 min 49 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickz88 View Post
Erdnuckel1, the controls for the MJX X100 are listed in English under the product description. http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mj...o-p-48726.html
Well, in the mean time I figured a little more of it out:
NORM/Pro - thats self explanatory (I should stick with "NORM" ...) - it does the flips on PRO only to all that I saw up to now ...

AILE/RUDD - as I mentioned, this is the one that "moves" RUDD from right stick to left stick ...

The knob regulates the throttle (and also this way enables/disables flips) ie it has a seamless dual rate percentage while the V929 TX can only do 20%, 40%, 60% and 100%

Finally the "FUNTION" button (maybe that is chinese for FUN-TON and was supposed to mean you'll got a ton of fun ...) looks like it is the auto-flip button.

So I would say that (the way it looks) you can do flips automatically or manually according to personal choice is actually a good thing ...

RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:17 PM
Get Airborne
Sweden, Skåne County, Hofterup
Joined May 2012
320 Posts
Nice flying!

I'm very curious of the "The (so-called) 6axis gyro DOES show some obvious effects" behavior, please tell us more.

My quad experience is so far limited to the V929.
Stenkryparen is online now Find More Posts by Stenkryparen
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Great review as always my friend! now if only mine would arrive! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us! It looks very stable - awesome!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenkryparen View Post

I'm very curious of the "The (so-called) 6axis gyro DOES show some obvious effects" behavior, please tell us more.
That simply is supposed to mean it is the only one of my micros that I can truly FLY inside the 12x8 foot office area ... all the others it is not much more than hovers, the MJX is circles in both directions, flip attemps and ALMOST figure 8's ... but it still slides so much that a figure 8 on 12x8 foot is NOT possible for me!
RCG Plus Member