HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:34 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
For those with a 9x I have found after reading a tip on here somewhere that giving a bit of negative expo on the rudder helps immensely with yaw control, it gives less dead space at mid stick. I use -15, which I have found works good for me but your mileage will likely vary.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:42 PM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM View Post
My theory is that one of the reasons it is hard to do a "co-ordinated" turn in that sense, is because (with my Beetle at least) it seems there's some minimum yaw rate. That is, when I give just a small amount of rudder input, there is no effect. There continues to be no effect as I increase the rudder input, until it gets over some threshold and then a certain fixed amount of yaw kicks in.

So it is difficult to coordinate the correct amount of yaw for the radius of the turn you're doing.

Anyone else notice this ... or is it just me?

Simon
I look at it the same way as if it were a car on a snowy or icy road (hey I live in Canada, what can I say?). Adjusting the steering (Yaw/Rudder) isn't going to have an immediate response. If you have a bank in the road (adjust ailerons/ I think it's called "Roll"?) combined with the steering (Yaw/Rudder) you will have a much better control of your vehicle (quad.) Looking at it this way helps me to visualize what's happening anyway, YMMV.
gwrivest is offline Find More Posts by gwrivest
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:59 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I think the question is when the stock charger light turns to green...does the current stop flowing or is it up to the operator to remove the LiPo from the charger to avoid overcharging.
I expected the charger to stop charging when the battery is full. When I checked it after 3 hours, the LED was still RED. Only upon closer examination then I realize the battery was bloated. I can't imagine if I had left it alone for the night!
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,388 Posts
Balanced charging for 6 batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
That cable won't help, the v929 batteries have JST connectors not pico's.

What he needs is the banana plug to 6x JST charge lead: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Fparallel.html

As long as you have a decent charger it should accept banana plugs in the charge port. If not change the plugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barrow View Post
How about this one, if your charger uses banana plugs.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14852
Cool, thanks for the advice! I'm getting the B6 AC IMAX 6S charger. But... With this banana plug to 6 JST cable, will the 6 x batteries be balanced? When one has more charge than the other (say 60% vs 30% vs 30% vs 30%...) will the charging for each battery be at the same rate? Will one get charged more than the other, resulting in overcharging?

I think the red/black connectors for banana plugs do not perform balancing. That is why I am looking at the 6S JST-XH balancing connector for ideas.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:28 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Plug them into the harness and let them sit for a little while before charging. Just make sure they are all roughly the same level of charge and they will balance themselves.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:07 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Cool, thanks for the advice! I'm getting the B6 AC IMAX 6S charger. But... With this banana plug to 6 JST cable, will the 6 x batteries be balanced? When one has more charge than the other (say 60% vs 30% vs 30% vs 30%...) will the charging for each battery be at the same rate? Will one get charged more than the other, resulting in overcharging?

I think the red/black connectors for banana plugs do not perform balancing. That is why I am looking at the 6S JST-XH balancing connector for ideas.
get a 6S to 2x3S adapter for about 5$ and two mSR charge harnesses from xtreme, fit the right plugs and charge them balanced like a 6S ... (I only do 3 balanced at a time, but that is how it would work ... (I have exactly the charger you are talking about ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:10 PM
Head in the clouds
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
774 Posts
Quote:

A couple pages back the voltage balance in parallel charging was discussed, including a link to a comprehensive tread on the topic.

If you leave the batteries plugged in for 10-15minutes before starting the charge they should auto equalise to the same voltage. Then set your charger to charge as a 1 cell like normal, just multiply the current for one battery by the number of batteries connected. Eg 4 x 500mAh batteries you would set 1S(3.7v) at 2000mA. All batteries should charge at much the same rate. As long as they are all similar in age.

If batteries vary more than 0.3-0.4v before charging, dont charge together as the current surge from the fuller battery will likely damage the lower voltage battery.
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,388 Posts
Got it.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:50 AM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,498 Posts
I use this charger for these 1s batteries because it charges each cell individually through the balance plug.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_Capable.html
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:33 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
No worries, cell's start to balance themselves out, as soon as you connect them to harness !

They just act like one bigger battery as long as you keep them parallel harnessed.

There is NO WAY to overcharge one battery, even if they have different capacity(but even that's not the case because we mostly use 500-600 mAh) !

I charged yesterday 2x6 packs, with harness similar to this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._parallel.html

I always let the packs rest 10 min after flight, then another 10 min harnessed, after that start the charging.

So together i flew 12 packs yesterday, thanks to cheap as dirt IMAX B6AC

Why complicate your life with any other setup, when this is so simple that i couldn't go wrong, and works like a charm !
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Last edited by shafter; Aug 09, 2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:01 AM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
This has been bothering me for a while... How do they 'balance' if only the cables of the same color are connected to each other? Or do you plug in the banana connectors, and start the charging process 10 minutes later?
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:05 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I think that's the second report I've seen. Perhaps the stock charger doesn't have a cutoff mechanism built in. Can anybody else confirm? I've never used the stock charger so I can't tell. Been using my Accucel-6 from day 1.
as mentioned earlier ireverse engineered the v929 charger and it is not a real lipo charger like the v911 is. it is only a fixed dc supply with indicator. these type work but do not bring cells up to full capacity and also result in shorter battery life. and as youve discovered there are safety issues.

i use the v911 charger or dc6 for v929 and s107 because i dont trust those stock chargers.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:04 PM
romantist
Chicago
Joined Jul 2004
1,070 Posts
Greetings,
I am trying to decide on a multi-cell charger from Hobby King, has one purchased any if their chargers and could recommend one? I am also looking at their "Turnigy nano-tech 600mah 1S 35~70C Lipo Pack". I am attending to purchase these cells and a charger and hopefully find a multi adapter, which they seem to have little of. Could any one recommend a good combination from their site? Thanks

Palomo
palomo is offline Find More Posts by palomo
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:09 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
I've heard good things about the accucel 6.
You could get this: http://www.helipal.com/multi-charge-cable-jst-plug.html
But I've been told that's just all the cables soldered together by color, so I ordered a bunch of JST connectors and will make my own octopus charger.
And I believe people on the other v929 thread said the nanotechs gave the quad more punch, so that's a good choice.
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:23 PM
Flying Like Evil
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Garons
Joined Oct 2010
150 Posts
Squad is Ready to go
C team MOD is offline Find More Posts by C team MOD