SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:41 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Just took it for a spin after lunch. A gust of wind slammed the Beetle hard onto the ground. The propeller struck the ground perpendicularly and was folded like an "L" shape. There is a white crease at where the fold occurs. I could sort of fix it by bending it back, but the propeller vibrates while spinning. Looks like I have to change it.
I got some bent props on my mQx. I find it easier to bend them back if I heat them up (I used a "monokote" trim iron, but hot water will probably do), plus the heat seems to alleviate the stress of bending/rebending (so less likely to break). I did this to a GWS prop many times for an airplane.

For me, bending back seems good enough for flying at high rates on my mQx. But it may not be good enough for camera work.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,798 Posts
Quote:
I should correct myself on the part about "auto leveling" / "self leveling". Maybe I'm sending out the wrong signal. On the V911, when FFF ends, the V911 will auto level and slow down. The V929 will not be like this. When the V929 completes the Fast Forward Flight, you need to apply counter stick movements to manually level the quad. Else, it will continue on going in that direction. However, if the V929 is moving forward slowly, it will slow down... then stop. This is what I meant by "auto leveling by itself".
There is a long argument with many posts about this on the mQx.
From what I can read of the posts, the mQx seems to have similar behavior: on FFF, you need to apply counter stick movements to manually level the quad. But if it is moving forward slowly, when you center the aileron and elevator stick, it will slow down and then stop.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Just ordered my V929. I wish I would have yesterday it was five dollars cheaper dammit!
Anyone heard when we will have spares to buy? Because one battery is going to suck very bad. I hope they send me the green one I ordered from Bangood. Does anyone know if they are using Hong Kong Post now? Because I thought shipping time said up to 30 days to the US before when I ordered V911's. But maybe I am mistaken.
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:51 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
There is a long argument with many posts about this on the mQx.
From what I can read of the posts, the mQx seems to have similar behavior: on FFF, you need to apply counter stick movements to manually level the quad. But if it is moving forward slowly, when you center the aileron and elevator stick, it will slow down and then stop.
I see. In any case, I don't think this is a problem at all.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apphoard View Post
I hope they send me the green one I ordered from Bangood. Does anyone know if they are using Hong Kong Post now? Because I thought shipping time said up to 30 days to the US before when I ordered V911's. But maybe I am mistaken.
BG ships thru FlyTexpress, who then consolidates and ships through another postal service. I had one shipped thru HK Post (really fast!) while another thru China Post (slower).
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:55 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
That opposite rotation is what keeps the heli from always yawing in 1 direction or another (every CW rotation paired with a CCW rotation).
Yes, but for a quad with 8 in pairs it goes: Top layer: CW, CCW, CW, CCW. Bottom layer: CCW, CW, CCW, CW.

Never understood why not both the same. You have a CW prop immediately above a CCW prop, which would(?) give lots of turbulence. Why not continue the airflow direction by having both the same? Probably a valid reason, just too lazy to look it up

Aaaaand, back to the V929. Wish mine would hurry up. I'm going on holiday in two weeks and want to take two with me - one for spares or maybe formation flying with a friend. Be great if you could bind two or more to the same transmitter, too. . I wonder how they do that on those videos of whole squadrons of mini quads flying together?
Brandigan is online now Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
I wonder how they do that on those videos of whole squadrons of mini quads flying together?
They have a mind of their own. They are pre-programmed, and while in flight, they talk to each other to avoid colliding onto each other. I think.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:20 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Spare batteries available at Bangood from tomorrow supposedly, as posted by Mr Bangood in James's Beetle thread..
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:18 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,178 Posts
Took an outdoor and indoor video of my V929! Links on the first page, second post.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Took an outdoor and indoor video of my V929! Links on the first page, second post.
What, no flips?

Actually your indoor footage was more impressive than it might appear - despite the crashes - considering you were doing banked turns and pirouettes.
Brandigan is online now Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1600584

More to read there regarding different setups,

Regarding the particular threads and questions , well , this is a Quad thread in a helicopter section , i think its this thread thats in the wrong place , this is a multirotor right ?
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
What, no flips?

Actually your indoor footage was more impressive than it might appear - despite the crashes - considering you were doing banked turns and pirouettes.
I totally forgot about it! I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the compliment. I wanted to show how agile the V929 could be, but it was really hard. I'm still not used to flying it at 20% sensitivity. It takes quite some time to go where I want it to go, so I need to plan ahead way in advanced, and that's tough in a tiny room.

I just had a great time at a badminton court. I kept within the boundary of the court as it was the only area lit by lights (it's 9:30pm now), and got the hang of outdoor flying at 40% rate. The delay in move is there but much lesser and manageble. After a while I could execute banked turns figure 8s in a badminton court. It was quite easy until the damn wind came. As I've noted earlier, 40% is no match for the winds and the quad tumbled to the ground. Hopefully the weather's fine tomorrow for me to take a video of flying figure 8s in a badminton court.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Regarding the particular threads and questions , well , this is a Quad thread in a helicopter section , i think its this thread thats in the wrong place , this is a multirotor right ?
Agreed. I'll drop the moderators a message to help move the thread to the right place.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,178 Posts
What should you do when the quad wobbles in the air? Sometimes the quad stability is disrupted by a sudden gust of wind. There are only two choices: (1) reduce throttle to land the quad in a safe place and restart flight; and (2) fight the wobble but will very likely smash the quad hard onto the ground.

As I've not flown any quads before I can't tell if this is a problem of the V929 or inherent to quads in general. I have a feeling that the brains in V929 is way too confused by the wobble to correct it automatically; and actions by the pilot just confuse it further.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
Fyre , didnt mean it like that m8 lol , i understand that its a WLToys/Benma product and more people who have bought the V911 etc will be interested in the product reviews and its an easier link if its here.

Normally ( is there a normal ? ) you would have gyro and acc that would help counter wind and keep the quad "in place" , even though i have ordered one for myself i did wonder about the tuning.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief