HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
Sorry for the OT, but what type of camera are you using? Looks like a must for remote devices ;-)
webvan is offline Find More Posts by webvan
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:37 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
FyreSG's Avatar
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webvan View Post
Sorry for the OT, but what type of camera are you using? Looks like a must for remote devices ;-)
This: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smallest-Min...item3f11bbb8e1

FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
FyreSG's Avatar
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,348 Posts
Refined flying experiences in the first post after flying 4 packs of battery. Also added details on the transmitter rates vs range.

Added shoot-out between V911 TX and E728 in the second post.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:56 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
2,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
.....>8

The bottom layer serves mostly for additional power without requiring bigger blades. There is considerable argument about how effective this arrangement is, but it does provide redundancy. There are some quads that have variable pitch that can fly inverted, though with a quad it doesn't quite have the same impact.
What I've always found strange is the props pairs are set to rotate in opposite directions rather than the lower prop pushing the air in the same direction as the one above. I would have thought that created a lot of turbulence and always vowed that if/when I make one, I'll wire it up 'wrong' to see what happens.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:08 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
2,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
First Video (720p HD quality)

WLtoys V929 Beetle Ladybird Quad - My First Try! (4 min 8 sec)
Even more OT, but what camera did you use to shoot your first video, as the quality was very good?
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,276 Posts
Fyre did you do a range test ? sorry if you have already posted the results.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:55 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
What I've always found strange is the props pairs are set to rotate in opposite directions rather than the lower prop pushing the air in the same direction as the one above. I would have thought that created a lot of turbulence and always vowed that if/when I make one, I'll wire it up 'wrong' to see what happens.
It's really unusual to find this much interest in a quad in this forum. You would think it would be in multi-rotors. In any case, there are some very interesting discussions about quads and triples with the dual motor setups over there. But, I must confess, they confuse the hell out of me.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:14 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,276 Posts
Doubling up the motors is really only good for redundancy as far as im aware.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:21 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
49 Posts
In order to protect the landing ear, I would suggest hot glueing 7 centimeter bbq sticks onto the rods at the halfway point.
Nickz88 is offline Find More Posts by Nickz88
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
2,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Doubling up the motors is really only good for redundancy as far as im aware.
Waaaay off topic (sorreeee), but actually, they are only of limited use as redundancy. They really are working to give more lift, as my brother's built quads, 8 prop quads and hexas (not octas yet). If one of the 8 props fails, the quad will lurch to one corner and unless you are very quick and realise what is happening and manage to compensate massively in the opposite direction: you're going to crash. With Attitude Mode on (self -levelling) you might get a few more seconds to react, and then it's only a fight to get it down before it shoots off sideways into a tree. That's assuming it doesn't happen 50 yards away from you and 40ft up.

Ironically, after it happens once, you are more likely to know how to deal with it the second time, which may never happen because you double, triple check everything much more carefully from then on.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:11 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Waaaay off topic (sorreeee), but actually, they are only of limited use as redundancy. They really are working to give more lift, as my brother's built quads, 8 prop quads and hexas (not octas yet). If one of the 8 props fails, the quad will lurch to one corner and unless you are very quick and realise what is happening and manage to compensate massively in the opposite direction: you're going to crash. With Attitude Mode on (self -levelling) you might get a few more seconds to react, and then it's only a fight to get it down before it shoots off sideways into a tree. That's assuming it doesn't happen 50 yards away from you and 40ft up.

Ironically, after it happens once, you are more likely to know how to deal with it the second time, which may never happen because you double, triple check everything much more carefully from then on.
Only built tri's and quads , from reading the Multi rotor section i was sure that doubling motors did little for thrust and was more for redundancy in case of a motor failure , im not talking 6 or 8 motors in a radial fashion but 8 motors in a quad setup .
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:49 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
FyreSG's Avatar
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Even more OT, but what camera did you use to shoot your first video, as the quality was very good?
FinePix JX200: http://www.fujifilm.com.sg/products/...pecifications/

720p HD AVI video, edited with OpenShot.

Mounted on the transmitter with a gorilla stand; a one-man job.



Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Fyre did you do a range test ? sorry if you have already posted the results.
Sorry I didn't test the max range but I let it fly so high up till I can't see the blades or the canopy to make out where it was facing. It was about 6 storeys high. For normal flight it can fly so very till I have difficulties finding it among the backdrop of trees. I have 6/6 eyesight btw so it went really far.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
2,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Only built tri's and quads , from reading the Multi rotor section i was sure that doubling motors did little for thrust and was more for redundancy in case of a motor failure , im not talking 6 or 8 motors in a radial fashion but 8 motors in a quad setup .
Uh, is that the thread topic waaaay over there? Oops, well sure, quads with two motors per arm, one mounted upside down and spinning the other way. Usually so you can carry heavier weights (cameras. bigger batteries) without the added extra weight of more arms, as in a true OctoCopter.

They're all contributing to the lift equally, so if one fails, that's now half the lift of the other three arms. It's not like you only use 4 of them and when one dies the other kicks in. Although in Attitude Mode, the brains will probably try and spin up the working one harder to counter the tipping - with variable results depending on how loaded up the Quad is. If the total amount of lift you now have available is less than the weight you are carrying: you're going down... If not particularly loaded up, you've got more leeway for survival, for sure. If flying in Manual/Sport mode...probably no chance you'd save it without the reactions of Spider-Man.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Jun 28, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:33 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
What I've always found strange is the props pairs are set to rotate in opposite directions rather than the lower prop pushing the air in the same direction as the one above. I would have thought that created a lot of turbulence and always vowed that if/when I make one, I'll wire it up 'wrong' to see what happens.
That opposite rotation is what keeps the heli from always yawing in 1 direction or another (every CW rotation paired with a CCW rotation). If you "wire" both props to rotate in the same direction, then you will need to make sure that some other pair of props rotate in the opposite direction to keep the heli from always yawing.
You can probably do this with an 8 motor (4 pairs of motors in a quad-style arrangement).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:35 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
I'll expand on this a bit, its fixed pitch, so it can't fly inverted. If motors reveresed, it could be possible, but props only work properly and effeciently when facing and rotating the correct way.
...
For my amusement, I tried running a GWS prop in reverse: I got about 40% of the thrust that I would get running it in the correct direction.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review WLToys Beetle quad review jameschen072 Mini Multirotors 5149 Oct 29, 2014 02:57 AM
New Product WLToys Ladybird Large BRF$30; RTF$39 lao Micro Helis 7 Jun 02, 2012 11:22 PM
ladybird beetle/gws easybug nebuchadnezzar Foamies (Kits) 1 Aug 14, 2004 09:48 AM