HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
So basically u can just flip it... U can't execute a 3d move and hold it... For example hold it inverted in a flying circuit?
I have read of a few multi-rotor helicopters with varying pitch rotors, or motors that can rotate its prop in reverse (probably with a loss of lift ability).
Except for these special cases, multi-rotors in general are like fixed-pitch heli's and cannot maintain sustained inverted flight.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:35 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
This toy can not do inverted flight.
I'll expand on this a bit, its fixed pitch, so it can't fly inverted. If motors reveresed, it could be possible, but props only work properly and effeciently when facing and rotating the correct way.
Also, to have reveresed thrust with reversing motors, there would be a period of time between decelerating them right past zero rpm and back to speed in reverse, where lift and therefore control is completely gone.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:35 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Did you find the response under even 60 percent to be slightly sluggish? (as in it feels like theres a slight delay somewhere?) thanks again for the review!
Yes, you are right about that! I felt something was wrong about those modes. In any case, the sluggish behaviour is fine for indoor flight at 20% or 40%. It would be a bad idea to try 40% outdoors.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,945 Posts
Edit: Wrong info removed!
Last edited by FyreSG; Jun 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:42 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,781 Posts
The flips are completely programmed,...
Can you for example hold it at 45 degrees or half a flip through flight in other words part of your banked turn I suppose, but in FFF
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:53 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Especially if one quickly needs a lot of tilt in the quad to fight a wind (I have sometimes needed to do this with an mQx).

From what I have seen of quads flipping, even if you could stop it (not sure if you can), unless you manage to catch it within about the first 90 degrees of the flip, having it stop the rotation from the flip and then reverse the rotation from the flip to recover is liable to cause it to lose even more altitude (from spending more time tilted sideways or being inverted) than just finishing the flip.
That was actually my concern, with either heavy wind or fff to a sudden stop it'll require some stick throw, and in either case I also want 100% of the control it has but if it just decides it wants to flip I'll be scared to fly on 100%. I understand it can't be saved beyond a certain point, but I want to be able to to save it up to that point.

Then again I'm more of a slow flyer normally so it's not a deal killer for me, I just like knowing the limits.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,467 Posts
Quote:
Some quads have two "layers" of propellers, a total of 8 propellers. The top layer for normal flight and the bottom layer for inverted flight.
If the top layer were for normal flight and the bottom layer for inverted flight, they would counteract each other and you would have no movement. The bottom layer serves mostly for additional power without requiring bigger blades. There is considerable argument about how effective this arrangement is, but it does provide redundancy. There are some quads that have variable pitch that can fly inverted, though with a quad it doesn't quite have the same impact.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:55 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,945 Posts
Just took it for a spin after lunch. A gust of wind slammed the Beetle hard onto the ground. The propeller struck the ground perpendicularly and was folded like an "L" shape. There is a white crease at where the fold occurs. I could sort of fix it by bending it back, but the propeller vibrates while spinning. Looks like I have to change it.

Hopefully we can buy spare propellers soon as I can't find V929 spare parts online at the moment.

I also realise after several crashes, the big and small gears may not mesh together as the go out of position. To fix this, I pressed the top of the propeller down, and pressed the bottom of the main gear up. This fixes the problem. Take note.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:56 AM
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
Thanks for the review ! A basic question first, the v929 is the larger 19cm version and the v939 the smaller 11cm version ? Apparently the price difference is $1 on banggood so might as well go with the larger version.

I have a v911 too, what is the FFF mode you mention? Right pad in top left or right corner ?
webvan is offline Find More Posts by webvan
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:58 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,945 Posts
V929 is the larger one; V939 is the smaller one. Check out the first post for the components diagram illustrating the two quads.

FFF = Fast Forward Flight achieved by switching to "High Rate" in V911 by pressing the button at the top LEFT corner of the transmitter.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:05 AM
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
Thanks x2

Haven't read anything about the v939 yet, I guess everyone is going for the larger one ? What's strange is that on bangood the full package costs the same as the BNP (well it did yesterday, now the package is $3 more).
webvan is offline Find More Posts by webvan
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:42 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,621 Posts
Quote:
Just took it for a spin after lunch. A gust of wind slammed the Beetle hard onto the ground. The propeller struck the ground perpendicularly and was folded like an "L" shape. There is a white crease at where the fold occurs. I could sort of fix it by bending it back, but the propeller vibrates while spinning. Looks like I have to change it.

Hopefully we can buy spare propellers soon as I can't find V929 spare parts online at the moment.

I also realise after several crashes, the big and small gears may not mesh together as the go out of position. To fix this, I pressed the top of the propeller down, and pressed the bottom of the main gear up. This fixes the problem. Take note.
If you creased the prop, then quite a few other things took a hit. Check that the motor mount cage is tight on the boom. I had it split where the boom slides in, so it was very sloppy. CA glue fixed it. Check the boom isn't cracked, if you can twist the motor by more than a few degrees (compare to the others) it is.

Finally, if you are getting vibration, you need to balance those props (see my previous post). It's not only better for video, it prolongs the life of the motor and bearings.

And you can usually straighten the prop back to completely straight - even after a 90 bend - with a bit of practice. Check the balance again though.

Bet you're glad they include spare props.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Jun 28, 2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:36 AM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
Wouldn't it be possible to make a 99% rate setting with a programmable tx? Tweak it a bit until you have the highest possible rates that don't push it into stunt mode?
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:42 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpirre View Post
Wouldn't it be possible to make a 99% rate setting with a programmable tx? Tweak it a bit until you have the highest possible rates that don't push it into stunt mode?
Very good thinking!
A bit of playing around with a 9X should find the point that it does flips, then back it of 1-2% so it definitely won't enter flip by accident.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:19 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,945 Posts
I took a few onboard videos and they were ridiculously shaky. They seem to be worse than my V911. From the video, I can actually see the tracking of the front right propeller being way off, perhaps that's causing the nasty vibrations. The quad has taken several serious crashes so I should have taken onboard videos on day 1 when it is still in mint condition. Heh.

I updated the first post on flying indoors - 20% is recommended but it is very slugglish to react to stick movements, so plan ahead!