SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:01 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I haven't flown the v929 for a while, almost forgot how much fun it was. This is the one that started the madness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhXWYKCR4xc
WHOA! That's some impressive flying. Thanx for posting.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:50 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Well I can't fly like Stonecutter . . .

But I just installed the GWS props, in grey and orange, balanced first of course - they certainly needed it.

As Uncle Gadget says - WOWSERS! That shortens the trip from floor to ceiling! And it was only on 20%! An incredible improvement in responsiveness and yet still hovers very nicely.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:07 AM
Joined Mar 2013
9 Posts
The trouble I imagine I'd have with a canopy with an obvious 'face' is that it wouldn't help when looking up at the v929, only from horizontally or above. A canopy with a 'nose' like JaapDub's might be good, though.

bartricky, thanks for the info about the LEDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
Sounds fairly good farrioth, photos of the cable tie canopy and l/g would be appreciated as I wait for mine to arrive.
Here's my current canopy:
farrioth is offline Find More Posts by farrioth
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:30 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,791 Posts
farrioth, how did you attach the ping pong ball to the front? I've seen it on quads in Phoenix simulator.

The cage for the board may not be needed because the blades would protect it from impact. What you should worry is moisture getting to the board, and you'll need a "cover" type canopy. It will screw up the gyros. I've learn it the hard way. Thankfully, the board recovered after drying up.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:13 PM
Germany, BY, W▄
Joined Jun 2005
152 Posts
today i wanted to see how far it would go up.... well, i think 500 feet is pretty much the limit

WLTOYS V929 WITH 808 # 16 V2 CAMERA AND WIND TURBINE (6 min 0 sec)
manhill is offline Find More Posts by manhill
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:30 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,677 Posts
Sensational! My V929 arrived yesterday and flies fine indoors (so far) bound to a 9X Tx, though it needs a surprising amount of trim at the moment (?). I'm waiting for #16 V2 camera and 2gm VTx. Is that a #16 V2 "D" lens you are using, and what is your AUW?
richard9999 is online now Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:41 PM
Germany, BY, W▄
Joined Jun 2005
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
Sensational! My V929 arrived yesterday and flies fine indoors (so far) bound to a 9X Tx, though it needs a surprising amount of trim at the moment (?). I'm waiting for #16 V2 camera and 2gm VTx. Is that a #16 V2 "D" lens you are using, and what is your AUW?
it is a stock 929 but i did attach the gws-props, which really make the difference. yes, it is a #16 with a d-lens. i never checked its weight. left the cam in its housing. power seems nearly doubled with those gws-blades, there is also nearly no wobbling in a fast descent. i highly recommend them.
manhill is offline Find More Posts by manhill
Last edited by manhill; Mar 05, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:38 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
I have always enjoyed flying my v929 shown below, but with the GWS props, this is a completely different quad.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:04 AM
Joined Mar 2013
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
farrioth, how did you attach the ping pong ball to the front? I've seen it on quads in Phoenix simulator.
Tie two cable ties around the front landing gear. Squirt hot glue into the gaps so the ties can't slip up and down. Trim the cable ties so they just about meet in the middle but don't cross over. Make two holes on opposite sides of the ping-pong ball. I used a thick needle, then enlarged the holes with a pocket knife and a flat-head screwdriver. Try to make them parallel. Poke the ends of the cable ties into the holes as far as they'll go. It should be a tight fit. Check that the ball is centered between the landing gear. Put a bit of hot glue onto the joints.

Edit: The cable tie snapped where it was glued to the ping-pong ball the first time I went flying with this setup. I'll post again if I decide to reattach it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
The cage for the board may not be needed because the blades would protect it from impact. What you should worry is moisture getting to the board, and you'll need a "cover" type canopy. It will screw up the gyros. I've learn it the hard way. Thankfully, the board recovered after drying up.
I find that the bounciness of the cage is helpful, and seems to prevent the quad from landing upside-down so much, and would also protect against impact to the booms. You have a point about the moisture, though; I will have a think about how to solve that, perhaps a smaller plastic canopy within the frame or similar.
farrioth is offline Find More Posts by farrioth
Last edited by farrioth; Mar 08, 2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:31 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,791 Posts
Would the ping pong ball + hot glue make the quad front heavy? I realized removing the cable tie mods make the quad less likely to crash. Lighter quad leads to higher stability leads to less crashes. When you're more familiar with the quad, try removing the cable ties. They may appear small and light, but every grams count and they affect the flight characteristics of the micro quad.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:52 AM
Joined Jan 2013
309 Posts
Wondering why im confused about lighter weight making a quad more stable?...Especially for outdoors in windy conditions...Would seem a heavier quad would get tossed around less and be able to handle the wind better than a lighter quad. Maybe a lighter quad makes the PCB work less in stabalizing the quad?...I know the RC eyeone is super heavy compared to the toy versions and it looks to be very stable indoors and out...Perhaps the less weight makes the gyros work more efficient?
6sharky9 is offline Find More Posts by 6sharky9
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:10 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,354 Posts
because if the bird is lighter, than more horsepowers are left for you, so could fly more stable and dynamic.

Of course if you have stronger motors you can have heavier AND more agile quads too! So avoid the massive overload and you can fly freely..

Because of this reason I skipped my 550 deadcat project and jumped to the F330 class...the frame is 150g vs the ~400-450g deadcat!
bulesz is online now Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:23 PM
Sweden, Piteň
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
As many others here it would be a killer feature if someone figured out how to trigger the lights on the t9x
Hayvosh is offline Find More Posts by Hayvosh
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:26 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,158 Posts
I'm new to quadcopters but just got one of these!

It's real easy to fly indoors. Not tried outdoors yet, just happy to buzz round indoors with my 808 on board

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:30 PM
Joined Jan 2013
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayvosh View Post
As many others here it would be a killer feature if someone figured out how to trigger the lights on the t9x
Maybe try hooking the lights up to the motor connections...When off throttle they go out ..when on throttle they get brighter the more throttle you give it
6sharky9 is offline Find More Posts by 6sharky9