SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:57 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,584 Posts
Gents,
Another way to balance props: Just pull the motor up off the gear and the bearings will let the prop spin freely for balancing. Brandigan's post explains this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=15
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhill View Post
JD, there may be better methods, but i just put a string through the prop-shafts and let `em swing freely... then i take an exacto-knife and cut away a little piece off the side that`s heavier until they balance out... i hope you understand what i mean... this is not my mother-language.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:46 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
455 Posts
Somewhere around here I've got a prop balancer that carries the prop on a steel rod with pointed ends that is held on each end by attraction to a strong magnet. No friction. Very precise.
A very heavy piece of monofilament fishing line between supports would be almost as good.
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:13 AM
Stoyan Zhekov
Japan, Osaka Prefecture, Osaka
Joined Dec 2012
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Gents,
Another way to balance props: Just pull the motor up off the gear and the bearings will let the prop spin freely for balancing. Brandigan's post explains this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=15
Cheers,
Jim
I'm not sure if it is right, but what I'm doing is:
  1. unplug all motors except one from the FC
  2. start the motor (while holding the quad), increase the speed and look on the round flat area in the center of the prop - if it is circle, prop is balanced. if ellipse - stop the motor, put some tape on the prop and try again
  3. repeat for all remaining motors
zhesto is offline Find More Posts by zhesto
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:20 AM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaapDub View Post
Hello manhill, Big difference flying with balanced props! Could you explain how you did the balancing? I searched this group and found many posts from users who did the balance trick but I couldn't find the way they did it.
I hope you, or someone else, can help...
Prop runs on a shaft on ball bearings connected to the motor with a white plastic gear.

I have never done it but it was described like this: pull the white gear down a little to disconnect the motor, Rotate the heli 90 degrees so that the shaft is horizontal and the prop hangs vertically, Tap on the arm or wiggle the arm to make the ball bearings run more freely, The heavy side of the prop will fall to the bottom. Put tape on the light side or trim off the heavy side. Repeat with other three motors,

If that doesn't work perfectly use the trial and error method. Run one motor at a time by disconnecting 3 motors at the main board. Mark one side of the prop with a magic marker or pen so you can remember which side is which. Add some tape, Run the motor at the speed where vibration is the worst. If the side the tape is on is wrong, take tape off and put some on the other side. Change the amount of tape until the vibration is at a minimum. Repeat with other three motors.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Last edited by theothercliff; Jan 25, 2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:22 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jan 2012
110 Posts
Rotor balancing...

Hello theothercliff, zhesto, rusty case, jesolins, manhill,
Thank you all for your help. Many things to try now.
JaapDub is offline Find More Posts by JaapDub
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:05 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,489 Posts
I balance my props by taking them off or doing it on new props before I put them on. I put the prop on a small shaft or pin that is almost horizontal, and spin the prop by hand. It is fairly easy to tell if it is unbalanced by which blade ends up pointing down. Then I add a little clear nail polish out on the underside of the blade-just a little at a time, if you put too much on, you can sand or scrape it off.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:21 PM
Germany, BY, WÜ
Joined Jun 2005
152 Posts
I would like to suggest to always CUT AWAY some material on the heavier blade-tip. Adding tape WILL reduce lift.
manhill is online now Find More Posts by manhill
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:48 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,584 Posts
Gents,
Here is my DIY magnetic prop balancer that I use for props up to 14 inches.
It takes 5 minutes to make...yes I know it looks like it took that long
Cheers,
Jim
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:59 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
455 Posts
Looks great, J ! pretty much what I had... except I had these cone things that fit the shaft and would compensate for any prop hole size. The sharpened point rode against 1 magnet, and floated in the field on the other side... It might have been a Top-Flite???
:-)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,584 Posts
Hi R,
What I use in this magnetic balancer for my larger props is called a fingertip prop balancer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Planes...item53f3c65999
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty case View Post
Looks great, J ! pretty much what I had... except I had these cone things that fit the shaft and would compensate for any prop hole size. The sharpened point rode against 1 magnet, and floated in the field on the other side... It might have been a Top-Flite???
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:35 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
455 Posts
That is really great, J !
K.I.S.S.
I like that!
a pointy rod with a couple cones...

Well ok... I got a balance question... How to balance helicopter blades for a coax that uses individual blades fastened at the rotor head? Is there a thread on how to do that?
tnx
rc
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:05 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,420 Posts
P799 Canopy from Banggood

A nice fitting new canopy arrived - suitable for the 929/949 also.

OK - it actually shows my mQX - I will order some for my V's too

-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:10 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
Most people use the 808 #16 (hd) or a the non Hd versions...
Thank you very much
Sorry about the slow reply, been searching for this thread on my phone.
Trik_r is offline Find More Posts by Trik_r
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:26 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
No probs

Here is a comparison between the v929 and v959 fpv...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=215
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:09 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,489 Posts
Rc asked: How to balance helicopter blades for a coax that uses individual blades fastened at the rotor head?
make a small thin parallel rest using some thin flat plastic glued to a piece of wood the same width of the linkage balls on the blades. Take the blades and the head assembly off if necessary, and place the blades on the balancer with the shaft of the linkage balls resting on the edges of the verticle plastic. You may need to trim the plastic into an A shape with a flat top so that the blades can move up and down freely. That is what I use to balance the blades on my GW 9958s, it should work for coaxial blades, but you might need to include the head assembly with the blades mounted to it.

picture it like a seesaw with the blades as the board and a frame with the pivot in the middle.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Last edited by siriusflier; Jan 27, 2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: add