SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:55 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I like the response of the 4-plug board better, it seems more crisp. The rudder is a lot more sensitive on the 4-plug, allowing much quicker yaws.
I have flown both the 4 plug and 8 plug with stock and gws motors..
To me the 4 plug is more stable in hands free hover and requires less correction.. The 8plug is a bit more agile and jumpy so not as stable but faster..

I use the 4 plug as my fpv base as it is more stable
I use the 8 plug as the throw around quad... I actually did not enjoy it that much with the stock props but the gws makes a world of difference..
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:30 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,322 Posts
OK you guys/gals, what causes the V929 to all the sudden start wobbling? As it wobbles it loses altitude and eventually crashes. It is not low battery as it was a fresh 600mah turnigy.
It really is frustrating as you never know when it will do it. Any advise for suggestions?
It is a 4 plug board.
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:29 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,167 Posts
The wobbling is expected. These may help:

- Avoid vertical descent. Adopt a spiral or see-saw descent pattern.
- Use the GWS props.
- Try the V949 receiver board.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
The V929 just isn't that stable (as the V949) in my opinion. It can really make you look like a fool when it gets the wobbles. I liken it to riding a mechanicl bull. You have to anticipate which way its going to throw you and counteract that as best you can. And don't get me started on its flip feature. Thats always a little bit like Evel Knievel's Snake Canyon jump everytime.

I'm definetly wanting to try the GWS props on it, as well as putting longer cable ties on the feet. To make it easier to relaunch out of the grass when it crashes.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:10 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
OK you guys/gals, what causes the V929 to all the sudden start wobbling? As it wobbles it loses altitude and eventually crashes. It is not low battery as it was a fresh 600mah turnigy.
It really is frustrating as you never know when it will do it. Any advise for suggestions?
It is a 4 plug board.
My take.

The quad flies somewhat like a plane, if you put it in an attitude such that a plane would have stalled (most likely scenario would be too much tilt for the speed you have), then likely the quad cannot recover, even with gyro assist. The wobbling is the quad's gyros doing its best to get it to level, as we have observed, some versions are more forgiving than others.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:23 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,322 Posts
So basically it is the nature of the beast. Well that really su$%s.
Is there a different board I can try from maybe one of the other brands?
If not this is really not that much fun to fly. To unpredictable as I am really not running it that hard and in most cases when you get the wobble it is not going to recover until it hits ground.
GWS props, hummm. Will have to look into those. Have read a bit about them but it seems like they are quite new and balance is an issue but overall good reviews. Hope it is not more money down the drain.
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:15 PM
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Sep 2012
707 Posts
I have a 929 with both 4 and 8 plug boards and a 949.

It is indeed easier to recover from a WOD on the 949 (8 plug board with "A" sticker).

Once it starts to wobble, just add throttle. Also, after a flip, I apply full throttle for a split second and I don't lose altitude.

When BG sells the 949 "A" board, I'll get one in a heartbeat.
natscape is offline Find More Posts by natscape
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
I'd just get a V949 and keep the V929 for parts. You'll need 'em eventually. The LEDs on the newer quad are worth the upgrade alone. Not to mention the steadier flying and better flipping feature. Chuck the V949's heavier canopy, however. Use a Burger King sunday lid. Looks nice and weighs less than even the V929's.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:29 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,499 Posts
I put GWS props on my 929 with four plug board, have only been able to test it a little because of 15 to 25 mph winds every day since, but I could not get it to do a WOD when I tried several times. Not much else I have been able to try with them. They were all way out of balance on the same side, but it is not hard to balance them. They are also about 0.2g lighter than stock props. I have a newer 929 with 8 plug board, but haven't flown it much, want to test it out with stock blades before I try GWS.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:40 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,499 Posts
I recently made canopies out of 2mm colored craft foam I bought at Hobby Lobby. The one I made with the pattern of my paper canopy weighs 1.8g, the paper one like it weighs 3.0g, and stock canopy weighs 3.3g. Because I had zip ties and lights added to one 929, I had the weight up to 69g without battery. Stock weight was 63.3g. made a foam canopy that weighs 1.4g, took off the zip ties, and got the weight back down to 64.0g. Thinking about making some landing extension out of that foam to replace the zip ties that weighed about 3.0g.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:45 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
So basically it is the nature of the beast. Well that really su$%s.
Is there a different board I can try from maybe one of the other brands?
If not this is really not that much fun to fly. To unpredictable as I am really not running it that hard and in most cases when you get the wobble it is not going to recover until it hits ground.
GWS props, hummm. Will have to look into those. Have read a bit about them but it seems like they are quite new and balance is an issue but overall good reviews. Hope it is not more money down the drain.
I never enjoyed flying the 929s for that reason... Infact I only flew the fpv 929, for fpv only..
Once I out the gws props on my pare 929... I actually enjoy flying it even in brisk wind..
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
Nobody tried the syma x1 board?
Soul Reaver is offline Find More Posts by Soul Reaver
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:25 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,633 Posts
What radio does the Syma X1 FC board bind to?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:40 AM
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
Turnigy 9x
Soul Reaver is offline Find More Posts by Soul Reaver
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:41 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Reaver View Post
Nobody tried the syma x1 board?