HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
The geek in Rotorgeeks
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2011
345 Posts
board / tx summary

I'm not sure of the right place to post since there are 3 related threads...
I have a v929, v939 and v949. I've been mixing and matching boards and transmitters (just the WLToys tx) to see what works. Maybe we could put together some sort of version tracking spreadsheet.

The conclusion I've come to is that there is sometimes a 5th channel in play.

TRANSMITTERS
V929 tx- no right-hand button, no channel 5
V939 tx- right-hand button, activates channel 5 at any sensitivity setting, signal is sent as long as button is depressed. Tx has annoying constant beeping at 100% sensitivity.
V949 tx- right-hand button, activates channel 5 when button is combined with stick motion, only works at 100% sensitivity. I also think it issues the command once as a pulse, implications of that are below. Thankfully they did away with the annoying beeps at 100% -it beeps only as you're pressing the right hand button to initiate a flip at 100%.

Sensitivity settings
At 20%, 40%, 60% and 100%, all the txs share the same output readings on the tx screen with the exception of yaw at 100% sensitivity on the original 929tx - it ranges from 5%-95% whereas the others output 10%-90%.

BOARDS

JR-WL-FD02R Rev 02 2012-06-08
- bought August 2012, this was my original V929 board which has since died. 4 ports (no LED)
- I always thought it flew great
- flips with any of the WLToys tx set to 100% (flip logic is based on high stick signal >60% according to the 9x owners)

JR-WL-FD02R-1 Rev 01 2012-07-22
- September 2012 replacement v929 board after a FET fried on the board above (from Banggood)
- like above, flip logic based on high stick input
- I didn't have it at same time as the board above but from memory, it flies equally well
- 8 port, LED ports turn on/off with channel 5

JR-WL-FD02R-1 Rev 02 2012-07-30
- October 2012 - came with v949, 8 port board
- mine doesn't fly quite as well as the board above, I would say it behaves as if the gains are too high - too much compensation coming out of a turn or stopping suddenly
- flips with channel 5, will flip continuously if channel 5 signal is sustained
- 8 port, LEDs controlled by throttle channel - on if you're flying, off if throttle is off.

There are a few implications of this channel 5 thing:
929 owners - if you swap the board with an 8 port replacement, you can add LEDs and control them if you use a 939 tx (or a 949 tx but the combo button is silly). With the 929 transmitter you will never be able to turn your lights on. Otherwise, I thought flying characteristics were the same between the original and 8 port Rev 01 board.
949 owners - if you want flip capability at tx rates other than 100%, use a 939 tx and flip at any sensitivity
- if you want sequential flip capability, use a 939 tx or else you have to keep clicking the right hand button every time you want to repeat a flip
939 owners - at least we have something useful from this purchase This is the only tx that provides dedicated channel 5 control.
- I still need to try some better batteries for my 939. People say this makes the difference but I can tell you that mine is useless with the stock batteries.

A few comments about the 949.
- lights are cool but don't really help with orientation as its so small and hard to tell what's front and back. But they are cool!
- the canopy is total garbage. It's very noisy and really interferes with the flight performance - lift, agility, stability. In my opinion, a stock 949 flies much worse than the 929. Remove the canopy and you get 80% of the way back to the 929 performance. Put the bug or paper canopy on it if you want it to remain covered, just look out for the canopy edges against the led wires.
- even with the canopy change, it doesn't fly as smoothly for me - I think the board doesn't match my style as well, or maybe it's just not quite as good. Would like to hear other observations as I'm sure there are lots of us that have more than one model. As I mentioned before, it feels like the gains are too high and it overcompensates, swinging the quad back the other way when it stops. Like excessive gyro gain on a heli.

So I think I'll be flying my 949 with the 939 tx. I usually find 100% too sensitive so the annoying beeping won't be present, I like the sequential flips, the ability to induce a flip at any sensitivity and being able to do it without the need for a combination button/stick command. If I give it to a friend to try out, they get a kick out of the flip but no way can they control it at 100% sensitivity or coordinate the button press/stick motion combination when learning to fly for the first time. One of the things I love about these quads is that you can give them to newbies (like my 77 year old father-in-law) and they're able to fly almost right away!

For my 929, I don't think it matters which tx is used. If my 929 breaks, I'll probably put the board in the 949. I think it's the best flying board and the lights can be powered and toggled with channel 5.

David
dklein is offline Find More Posts by dklein
Last edited by dklein; Nov 16, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,743 Posts
David, thanks for that helpful summary.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jun 2012
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
So the quad does not lift off at all (without human intervention)? On mine, not all motors spin up evenly when first applying throttle, but eventually does even out by the gyro.
Thanks Stonecutter.Ok good.I thought it was strange that the rear right always needed help getting going.Once i land I need to to give it a bit help again.
Jasen40 is offline Find More Posts by Jasen40
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:08 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,642 Posts
Thanks for the writeup dklein.

Good insight.

Too bad it's not a simple matter of channel that WLToys is flicking on and off. I haven't been able to emulate it yet using my Turnigy with er9x.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:24 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Good info David and the info just all throughout this thread by everyone.

When I bought my V929 a few months ago it came with the 8 plug board and the TX's right top button toggled those extra plugs used for leds. Of coarse the board didn't come with any leds I just accidentally figured that out by plugin the motor in there.
waveOmatic is offline Find More Posts by waveOmatic
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:07 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2006
126 Posts
Indeed real valuable information. I fly my V949 with the 9x TX stock firmware and it behaves all right indoors, though I haven't tried it outside yet.
Video:http://content.bitsontherun.com/prev...XjSHc-vmQUngUj
Vibosoft is offline Find More Posts by Vibosoft
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:58 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,629 Posts
I ordered a bnf V929 from MyRCMart on Nov 1 and it was delivered on Nov 16. WAY faster than 26 to 28 days on my last 3 orders from another place, and the order had tracking. It cost 4.09USD more with the spare parts I ordered and shipping than the other place, but it also included a battery, spare blades, and a charger. Unfortunately, the rx will not stay bound with the V929 tx or myT9x tx. The board I got is the 8 plug JR-WL-FD02, 2012/07030, Rev.02. inspected it, no obvious problems, tried different charged batteries. It will bind with either tx, but when you throttle up, the bind light goes off and it restarts the bind mode. Doesn't stay bound for more than 2 seconds. I am sure someone out there knows more about what this means than I do.
But I e-mailed MYRCMart last nite, and today they said that they are sending me a new esc, no hassle at all, and it is already processing.
I was looking forward to experimenting with that 8 plug board, but I will be happy with whatever they send me, as long as it works
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:42 AM
2 NECKS ARE BETTER THAN 1
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Aug 2012
293 Posts
V929 LEDs

Hello. If you have a V929 with the 8 ports and your Tx has a working button to control those 4 extra ports, will these LEDs plug right in and work?

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...l?currency=CAD

Anyone tried them?

Lard4Hire
Lard4Hire is offline Find More Posts by Lard4Hire
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:52 AM
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts

I hope so, I'll order them for my 929 too.
Soul Reaver is offline Find More Posts by Soul Reaver
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:13 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard4Hire View Post
Hello. If you have a V929 with the 8 ports and your Tx has a working button to control those 4 extra ports, will these LEDs plug right in and work?

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...l?currency=CAD

Anyone tried them?

Lard4Hire
They work.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:26 AM
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
but using 949 tx (and 9x too) we can forget flips? right?

on a 4 ports 929 board, is it possible to connect these leds directly to power? Do they include a resistor or should it be added?
Soul Reaver is offline Find More Posts by Soul Reaver
Last edited by Soul Reaver; Nov 19, 2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:39 AM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,629 Posts
My guess would be that the resistor is built into the 8 port board, so you will probably need to add a resistor for the v929 4 port board. depends on the forward voltage of the leds, which I bet is not specified. I found a 20 led light, battery operated string of christmas lights at walmart and big lots, 4 bulbs each of red, blue, green, orange, and yellow. $4.50 at Big Lots. Plugged one directly into a battery, it got hot, but didn't burn out, probably still needs a small resistor. I plan to run wires out to the ends of the booms and put a different colored light on each corner.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:16 AM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
Hey guys,
We've created a "best video" contest at Banggood, enter and you have the opportunity to win A LOT of great prizes! Including the WLToys CP,The V959 quadcopter and the MJX F47 FP Helicopter.
http://www.banggood.com/forum-topic-2119.html
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:33 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
Plugged one directly into a battery, it got hot, but didn't burn out, probably still needs a small resistor.
depends on color. blue and white (which are actually blue or uv internally) may run up to 4v. red likes 2v better. green is in between. ive added a couple red to my v929 and v939 boards with no resistor. current draw is only a few ma and will probably last forever. almost no effect on fly time but quite a treat when the sun goes down.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:26 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,783 Posts
Mmm. I managed to strip even more weight from the v929 frame...
Had a 8:30 fpv flight yesterday which ws awesome and still had battery to spare (on the stock battery)..

I wonder how far I could fly this in a straight line (tx and rx permitting) for four minutes straight and then back again....

Anyone have any idea?
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow