HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:04 AM
Constantine Safronov
Ukraine, Luhans'ka oblast, Luhansk
Joined Apr 2007
34 Posts
DIY v929 navigation lights

Hi, dear friends.
I've made a navigation lights for my v929. It consists of 4 leds (2 red and 2 green) and a strobe light. The strobe light operates constantly when the power is on. The behavior of the lamps on the booms depends on the battery voltage. When the voltage is above 3.3V they stay on. When the voltage drops lower than 3.3V they begin to fade (or blink, depends on firmware). The navigation lights are built on the base of attiny13. I've attached a firmware, a source code, a circuit and a PCB. If you want to alter the alarm voltage than you should change the resistor divider, connected to the pin 3 of the MC. The source code is compiled by BascomAVR. If you want to use more powerful strobe-light it's better to use a transistor switch.
v929 quadrocopter DIY navigation lights and voltage control (1 min 55 sec)
dollop is offline Find More Posts by dollop
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:14 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,927 Posts
Excellent stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollop View Post
Hi, dear friends....
Very nice work! I wonder if you've considered adding a red strobe LED at the rear, and a white LED in front (serving as search light).
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
Great job!
Soul Reaver is offline Find More Posts by Soul Reaver
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
What's the weight of the pcb including all stuff?
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:26 AM
Constantine Safronov
Ukraine, Luhans'ka oblast, Luhansk
Joined Apr 2007
34 Posts
Thank you for appreciation guys!
Yes, it is no problem to add another strobe. I'll do it soon. Thanks for an idea. BTW, this project is like a derivative of a plane navigation lights designed earlier (they are controlled by a throttle stick and have 3 modes).

I forgot to weigh the assembled PCB But I may say that the weight of a beetle when I've bought it was 62.1g. The landing gear took 1.5g. And now the weight is 66.7g. So 66.7-62.1-1.5=3.1. So 3.1g for 4 SMD LEDs, 1 5mm white LED and 1.2m of wire. The weight of a PCB shouldn't be more than 1g. I think, that it is possible to reduce the weight by using thiner wire (I've used 0.3mm wire). So waiting for such wires
dollop is offline Find More Posts by dollop
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:32 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
I am disappointed in banggood! I placed an order over a week ago, and finally today they let me know that the 929 is on back order. What a waste of an entire week.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
I am disappointed in banggood! I placed an order over a week ago, and finally today they let me know that the 929 is on back order. What a waste of an entire week.
I got mine off Amazon. A little more? Sure. But got it within a week. If only they sold spare parts on there.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:19 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollop View Post
Hi, dear friends.
I've made a navigation lights for my v929. It consists of 4 leds (2 red and 2 green) and a strobe light. The strobe light operates constantly when the power is on. The behavior of the lamps on the booms depends on the battery voltage. When the voltage is above 3.3V they stay on. When the voltage drops lower than 3.3V they begin to fade (or blink, depends on firmware). The navigation lights are built on the base of attiny13. I've attached a firmware, a source code, a circuit and a PCB. If you want to alter the alarm voltage than you should change the resistor divider, connected to the pin 3 of the MC. The source code is compiled by BascomAVR. If you want to use more powerful strobe-light it's better to use a transistor switch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7NA9eB1OHM
This is really cool.

Just last night I stumbled on a finder beacon that started a buzzer after a fixed amount of time (say 10-15 mins) from power up. I'm assuming that adding something like that would be fairly straightforward too?

I'll be watching this with interest. Thanks again.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow
My gws props finally arrived today...
They were hopelessly unbalanced I mean you could see the entire quad shaking as it flew..
But even the it felt as if the quad was more responsive and had more lift.

I balanced the props, and the quad does have more lift, speed and agility..
This however maybe partially due to the pitch of this prop but also the weight..
My set anyways was just over about .5 grams lighter than the stock so in total the quad was around 3grams lighter with these props.. The props are also ever so slightly longer.. And look really cool...

There are a direct fit ..
I have only flown two batteries but so far think its a great mod... I will put this on the fpv v929 and see the performance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

On the HeliFreak thread regarding the same props...they also concluded that it's unbalanced. But once balance, the performance was better. I last left off, reading that some places sold "factory seconds" which means it's unbalanced. Anyways, here's the original thread and current discussion:

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=455762
So I flew these props out doors today after balancing. I flew them with a largely unadulterated fpv kit. Auw was 90g. I was really impressed with their performance.
Now to give some context, if I flew this auw with the stock blades, with the type of flying I want to do, ie hovering and slow sigh seeing flying over a long distance (for Arial views and photography) there is always a chance of it suddenly wobbling and falling out of the sky. I noticed that flying quickly you can fly fpv for around 5 mins with this. But not flying the way I described just now. I think you guys with the 808 cameras and r2 boards may have also noticed this.

With these props I flew 7mins of slow and I mean slow flight in slight wind, with loads of hovering, and could not get a wobble of death... I tried rapid climbs I tried dropping the throttle to 20% suddenly and although I did get the wobble.. It was recoverable with a push of the throttle... The worse I could get was a slight touch on the ground around 5mins in flight...

So all In All I think this is a great mod... Loads more lift.. And a must for u guys with fpv or cameras attached...
It's a bit expensive... 5.55 dollars for 2 pairs of the same color so most people with have to spend 11 bucks or so unless u have LEDs or something...
ArchillesElbow is online now Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Thanks Achilles, I'm waiting forward to receiving mine soon.
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow
My gws props finally arrived today...
They were hopelessly unbalanced I mean you could see the entire quad shaking as it flew..
But even the it felt as if the quad was more responsive and had more lift.

I balanced the props, and the quad does have more lift, speed and agility..
This however maybe partially due to the pitch of this prop but also the weight..
My set anyways was just over about .5 grams lighter than the stock so in total the quad was around 3grams lighter with these props.. The props are also ever so slightly longer.. And look really cool...

There are a direct fit ..
I have only flown two batteries but so far think its a great mod... I will put this on the fpv v929 and see the performance...

So I flew these props out doors today after balancing. I flew them with a largely unadulterated fpv kit. Auw was 90g. I was really impressed with their performance.
Now to give some context, if I flew this auw with the stock blades, with the type of flying I want to do, ie hovering and slow sigh seeing flying over a long distance (for Arial views and photography) there is always a chance of it suddenly wobbling and falling out of the sky. I noticed that flying quickly you can fly fpv for around 5 mins with this. But not flying the way I described just now. I think you guys with the 808 cameras and r2 boards may have also noticed this.

With these props I flew 7mins of slow and I mean slow flight in slight wind, with loads of hovering, and could not get a wobble of death... I tried rapid climbs I tried dropping the throttle to 20% suddenly and although I did get the wobble.. It was recoverable with a push of the throttle... The worse I could get was a slight touch on the ground around 5mins in flight...

So all In All I think this is a great mod... Loads more lift.. And a must for u guys with fpv or cameras attached...
It's a bit expensive... 5.55 dollars for 2 pairs of the same color so most people with have to spend 11 bucks or so unless u have LEDs or something...
Tell me bout this fpv kit, please. I didnt think that was possible with toy level quads.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:34 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,781 Posts
Variant man, I have posted a few times on different fpv combos, so perhaps search this thread + fpv. A few others have also posted on some fpv stuff. If you don't find it, check the other beetle thread or pm me for further details?
ArchillesElbow is online now Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:31 PM
Master CP
United States, TX, Burleson
Joined Feb 2012
350 Posts
finally got my HD808 #18 today. First video isn't great, but it sure is pretty cool to get that POV! Wish my 929 wasn't so squirrelly with it attached though.

I definitely have to find a better way to attach it both to increase stability and isolate the vibrations.
mcmoyer is offline Find More Posts by mcmoyer
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:36 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,464 Posts
I glued mine right to the frame. Works great. I tried using the latest V949 board but foud the v1 V929 board seems to work better.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Quad Design
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
quad beetle first flight

The Beetle Quad is my first RC purchase. When trying to smoothly lift off, the black rotors provide more lift than the red rotors, and I can not make the quad lift straight up.

Tips? Thanks.

Pops
irwinc is offline Find More Posts by irwinc