Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:20 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
My gws props finally arrived today...
They were hopelessly unbalanced I mean you could see the entire quad shaking as it flew..
But even the it felt as if the quad was more responsive and had more lift.

I balanced the props, and the quad does have more lift, speed and agility..
This however maybe partially due to the pitch of this prop but also the weight..
My set anyways was just over about .5 grams lighter than the stock so in total the quad was around 3grams lighter with these props.. The props are also ever so slightly longer.. And look really cool...

There are a direct fit ..
I have only flown two batteries but so far think its a great mod... I will put this on the fpv v929 and see the performance...
Thanks for the feedback.

On the HeliFreak thread regarding the same props...they also concluded that it's unbalanced. But once balance, the performance was better. I last left off, reading that some places sold "factory seconds" which means it's unbalanced. Anyways, here's the original thread and current discussion:

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=455762
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:00 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Nice thread, thanks for the link Daryoon.
I'll balance mine when I'll get them.

The quick and easy way to balance plastic props:
How to balance a plastic Prop (3 min 44 sec)
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
Very useful, thanks.
Soul Reaver is offline Find More Posts by Soul Reaver
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:33 AM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,290 Posts
Well I think it is time to replace my props. Have crashed this so many times the props are a tad bit chewed up. Have the replacements with the original order and have more on the way.
The balancing vid was real helpful!
Loving this quad more and more every day. Fly it more then my 911's now. No longer have to squeeze the butt cheeks either and now with night flying with LEDs installed.
I was thinking I might pick up a V939 but it seems to have mixed reviews. Is it worth trying or should I just get another V929?
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:57 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
I was thinking I might pick up a V939 but it seems to have mixed reviews. Is it worth trying or should I just get another V929?
I went for the V939 - variety is the spice of life lol
Live dangerously and try the little one

John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,290 Posts
Doing some maintenance on this, wondering if anyone uses lube on the shaft bearings or anything like that?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:13 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,960 Posts
I have both the V929 and V939 but I prefer the V939 more, much more.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
I went for the V939 - variety is the spice of life lol
Live dangerously and try the little one

John.
So what the heck - I guess I will give it a try. No BNF's yet though...That's all I need is another TX.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I have both the V929 and V939 but I prefer the V939 more, much more.
I fly mostly outside, is it because you fly mostly indoors?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,960 Posts
No, I fly helis indoors, but I fly my quads only outdoors. Size is not an issue here - it's the flight characteristic of the V939 that attracts me. I can't really put a word to it, but I suspect it has to do with its agility and nimbleness. The V939 can fly faster than the V929, yet I feel safer and more confident than zipping about with the V929. Perhaps it's because the V939 is less susceptible to the wind, more predictable to control, and more resistant to crashes, that give me more confidence when flying the V939.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
No, I fly helis indoors, but I fly my quads only outdoors. Size is not an issue here - it's the flight characteristic of the V939 that attracts me. I can't really put a word to it, but I suspect it has to do with its agility and nimbleness. The V939 can fly faster than the V929, yet I feel safer and more confident than zipping about with the V929. Perhaps it's because the V939 is less susceptible to the wind, more predictable to control, and more resistant to crashes, that give me more confidence when flying the V939.
Really - it fly's better in the wind then the V929 - you would think it would be the other way around?
Are you using a 9x - if so are the settings the same?
How do you activate the lights if you have one?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:57 AM
USA, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jun 2007
512 Posts
yep, I like the v939 better too - as long as I don't use the stock batteries!

FyreSG is correct that it handles better. Perhaps it has a heavier disc loading. Not sure, but it just seems more responsive
rcflyair is online now Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
Really - it fly's better in the wind then the V929 - you would think it would be the other way around?
Are you using a 9x - if so are the settings the same?
How do you activate the lights if you have one?
There could be many reasons for the V939 to fly better in the wind - smaller area in contact with the wind, blades are directly driven instead of via transmission, and light weight.

I don't have a 9X. But I'm quite happy to be able to fly all my WLtoys flying toys with the toy-grade transmitter.

Not sure about the lights. Mine went dead so I made headlights on the canopy.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:15 AM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,444 Posts
I have had my V929 now for about a month. It took 29 days from date of order to recieve my 5x Tigers 600mah batteries, and it has been windy a lot lately, but this morning I had 5 batteries charged, and flew 4 of them. There was almost 0 wind, started before sunup at 7am, the temperature was 27 degrees F. Last flight about 10 am, 2-3mph wind, and about 40 degrees.
Stock battery weight = 14.3g flew 10:40
Tigers #1 600mah 14.9g flew 10:20
Gens Ace 500mah 14.7g flew 10:30
Tigers #2 600mah 14.7g flew 10:00

I could not tell any difference in response between any of the batteries and there was not much dfference in time. I was flying moderately. This was initial charge for Tigers batteries. I know some of you do more sofisticated tests, but thought someone might be interested.

My costs for each battery including shipping was $4.49 US for Gens Ace, and $2.28 for Tigers
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:44 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
I have had my V929 now for about a month. It took 29 days from date of order to recieve my 5x Tigers 600mah batteries, and it has been windy a lot lately, but this morning I had 5 batteries charged, and flew 4 of them. There was almost 0 wind, started before sunup at 7am, the temperature was 27 degrees F. Last flight about 10 am, 2-3mph wind, and about 40 degrees.
Stock battery weight = 14.3g flew 10:40
Tigers #1 600mah 14.9g flew 10:20
Gens Ace 500mah 14.7g flew 10:30
Tigers #2 600mah 14.7g flew 10:00

I could not tell any difference in response between any of the batteries and there was not much dfference in time. I was flying moderately. This was initial charge for Tigers batteries. I know some of you do more sofisticated tests, but thought someone might be interested.

My costs for each battery including shipping was $4.49 US for Gens Ace, and $2.28 for Tigers
My initial impressions on the Tigers were similar to yours, that they are comparable to stocks. But after a dozen or so cycles, they quickly lose punch and flight time.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter