Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:26 PM
United Kingdom, England, Mirfield
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
If you haven't already, order spare parts. I'm going through boom arms like crazy and I haven't found a local source for carbon fibre rods. The quads are way to addictive to have downtime.

No doubt!

I've got several sets of blades. I thought it was fairly rugged or am I mistaken?
Board paul is offline Find More Posts by Board paul
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:38 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk514 View Post
Thanks dave1993 and slothy89 for your input. I have found an iMAX B6AC on ebay for $28 shipped from HK. Is this a good deal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/iMAX-B6AC-Li...06%26rk%3D1%26

I also read about descending straight down can cause wobbles of death can you further explain what this is and how to avoid this?
Most, if not all, of the B6AC you see on Ebay are clones, which aren't all bad. But even clones come in two main models, 50W and 80W. The difference is mainly in the MAX current output.

The link you provided is a $28 is a 50W, shipping from Hong Kong. For a few dollars more, you could get a 80W model, shipping from US, therefore, eliminating the worries of getting a wrong plug. And if ever comes to the need of a return, it is much more manageable. Just my 2.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:03 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
link? hobbypartz?

i always fear the phrase "few dollars more" (wasnt that a movie where everybody... and i mean EVERYBODY... died a violent death?). note that even the basic b6 clone is overkill for this application. and op mentioned being on a budget. of course im also a fan of the $3 stock charger so...
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:03 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Board paul View Post
I've got several sets of blades. I thought it was fairly rugged or am I mistaken?
It's very rugged in many respects. I'm flying around obstacles (sometimes poorly), flying fast, doing flips, crashing into things... pushing the limits as best I know how and in doing so I've managed to damage the arms on all 3 of my V929's enough that they all now have too much torsion and don't fly nearly as well. I have replacement arms but unfortunately replacing requires fine soldering and I just haven't had the time to do it. I've replaced a few blades and nearly lost a gear and bearings a few times. I find the worst I'm having is the arms and the canopy busting - but I don't use the canopies anymore anyway.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Hey dave1993 I would really appreciate if you could help figure how to parallel charge with the stock v929 charger if its possible. I have a radio shack nearby for parts, soldering iron, solder, and of course the internet if needed. I just need like a visual picture to go by. Thanks so much. I'm sure other newbies would find it helpful too.
ctk514 is offline Find More Posts by ctk514
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:53 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
its pretty simple. one plug goes to the charger and several sockets for the lipos. it really dont matter what type or how many. stock v929 uses jst (very cheap at dealextreme, ebay, hk, etc) but i switched over to 1.25mm parkzone type (very cheap at dealextreme, ebay, hk, etc) for safety and weight.

step 1. connect all the reds together and shrink
step 2. connect all the blacks together and shrink
step 3. there is no step 3... YOURE DONE!

if you still need a photo let me know. i have some in my camera from couple years back. but parallel is so simple i cant believe really needed. now a balance connector is a different story. much more complicated and probably requires schematic AND pics. but who would want one of those anyway... oh wait... not to mention any names... lol!
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Last edited by dave1993; Sep 06, 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: balance not so easy
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
I understand it seems simple but from my reading of how "dangerous" charging lipos is just wanted to make sure but on a more serious note I want my batteries life to be long and them to be fully charged (obviously i will be putting them in a fire safe dish to charge) . I found this on ebay but it has micro connectors im not sure if this is even parallel charging (1st pic), and i found this one too (2nd pic). The problem is they are both using a micro connector.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
It's very rugged in many respects. I'm flying around obstacles (sometimes poorly), flying fast, doing flips, crashing into things... pushing the limits as best I know how and in doing so I've managed to damage the arms on all 3 of my V929's enough that they all now have too much torsion and don't fly nearly as well. I have replacement arms but unfortunately replacing requires fine soldering and I just haven't had the time to do it. I've replaced a few blades and nearly lost a gear and bearings a few times. I find the worst I'm having is the arms and the canopy busting - but I don't use the canopies anymore anyway.
Ok again I am no electrician but if you cut the wires connecting the motor to the board, remove wires replace boom and reconnect the wires using a splice/wire crimpers and run the wires on top of the boom like FyreSG did here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1419
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:55 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about crashes, it takes a bit to break these things, and if you're not crashing you're having less fun than you could
Reminds me of learning to ride a bicycle or inline-skating. If I had feared crashing while trying to learn, I'd never be able to ride a bicycle or skate today.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk514 View Post
Hey dave1993 I would really appreciate if you could help figure how to parallel charge with the stock v929 charger if its possible. I have a radio shack nearby for parts, soldering iron, solder, and of course the internet if needed. I just need like a visual picture to go by. Thanks so much. I'm sure other newbies would find it helpful too.
I'm using this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._parallel.html

With my B6AC. No crazy voltages, no bloating, no fires - perfect!
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
FyreSG im not sure how i could use those because i dont have a good charger, i wanted to parallel charge with the stock charger. I dont know if its safe to do that or if it would to 2 hours to charge 2 batteries instead of 1 hour to charge 1.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,537 Posts
I've had bad experience with the stock charger. I don't wish to repeat the old story again. But it has nothing to do with parallel charging.

As I do not wish to get embroiled into another messy debate, so I advise you to decide on the safety of parallel charging and how to do it, yourself. Personally, I wish I had discovered parallel charging earlier. That would have reduced a great deal of manual effort involved when swapping fully charged batteries with depleted ones. Can you imagine having to charge 6 batteries regularly?

You should really think about "investing" in a computerized charger. I should have gotten mine (USD28!) earlier. Charging 6 batts with the stock charger at 500mA will take ages... leaving the charger powered for hours, well, I don't think that is safe. Oh wait, did I mention that the stock charger killed my battery?
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
I have read almost all your previous post so I do know the story but the stock charger will be all I have. I have also found the exact same charger on ebay for the same price. Im definitely considering buying it but I need the splitter and I also need more batteries :0 lol. I'm working on getting all of theses pieces to complete my setup. For now I will be setting timers on my iphone for 50 min so i can pull my batteries off.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:19 PM
USA, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jun 2007
458 Posts
Cheap charger

You won't gain much by parallel charging off the stock charger. It'll just take longer, but at least you won't have to swap the batteries out every so often. Might make a good overnight charging solution.

I've had one of these cheapo chargers for a couple of years now and it has worked well.....

HobbyKing ECO6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories (USA Warehouse)

The fan makes a terrible noise, and its probably not as accurate as some of my more expensive chargers, but for about $20 (not including a 12 volt power supply) you'll be able to charge just about anything......

I want to avoid the parallel/balance charging debate (like the plague ), but this charger can be set up to do either (as can most)
rcflyair is offline Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:21 PM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I've had bad experience with the stock charger. I don't wish to repeat the old story again. But it has nothing to do with parallel charging.

As I do not wish to get embroiled into another messy debate, so I advise you to decide on the safety of parallel charging and how to do it, yourself. Personally, I wish I had discovered parallel charging earlier. That would have reduced a great deal of manual effort involved when swapping fully charged batteries with depleted ones. Can you imagine having to charge 6 batteries regularly?

You should really think about "investing" in a computerized charger. I should have gotten mine (USD28!) earlier. Charging 6 batts with the stock charger at 500mA will take ages... leaving the charger powered for hours, well, I don't think that is safe. Oh wait, did I mention that the stock charger killed my battery?
Agreed, leaving the small stock charger running like this for 6h will surely burn something out sooner or later. Plus if you were to experience a voltage cutoff failure when charging 6 batteries at once, you would surely have 6 LiPo fires to deal with rather than one
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89