HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2003, 09:28 AM
Columbus Ohio
Joined Mar 2003
90 Posts
Discussion
lOOKING FOR INFO, PLANS OR KITS FOR ARMY TG2 TRAING GLIDER

After all the help I received on my first scale project I have started on my Kirby Kadet scale trainer. I have also decided to start gathering info for my next project a TG-2 military training glider. If you ahve any info or plans on this aitcraft you are willing to share, I will gladly pay you for any shipping or copy charges incurred

Steve
why2cay is offline Find More Posts by why2cay
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:45 PM
Scale Glider Guider
Richmond, BC. Canada
Joined May 2003
191 Posts
Hi ... There are quite a few TG-2s around built from Steve Moskal plans available from Model Airplane News. Also if you wish to save some time Bob Holman cuts a great short kit of laser cut parts for it. I used the short kit for mine and everything fit great.
The TG-2 flies great. If you have a look at my web site you'll see a video of my first test flight last summer.
I saw a post from Steve Moskal the other day in this group regarding his 1-26 plans so he should be easy to find if you have any questions.
I'll post some pictures of mine for you. The other TG-2 you can see in the picture belongs to Don Bailey of Quiet Flier Magazine. He speaks highly of it as well.

Dave

http://homepage.mac.com/davidtanner
Airbus is offline Find More Posts by Airbus
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:47 PM
Scale Glider Guider
Richmond, BC. Canada
Joined May 2003
191 Posts
The fuse under construction.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:47 PM
Scale Glider Guider
Richmond, BC. Canada
Joined May 2003
191 Posts
Airframe nearly complete.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:48 PM
Scale Glider Guider
Richmond, BC. Canada
Joined May 2003
191 Posts
Part way through painting.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:49 PM
Scale Glider Guider
Richmond, BC. Canada
Joined May 2003
191 Posts
Ready for the first flight.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:50 PM
Scale Glider Guider
Richmond, BC. Canada
Joined May 2003
191 Posts
Don Bailey getting his ready.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:52 PM
Scale Glider Guider
Richmond, BC. Canada
Joined May 2003
191 Posts
Family photo with a couple of Flair Ka-8s.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 05:26 PM
Scale Nerd!
Ireland
Joined Jul 2002
234 Posts
Airbus:

Can you point me in the direction of the Bob Holman part-kit? I tried emailing him maybe 2 years ago via an address I found online, but got no reply. I'd be very interested in doing this plane, especially if a rib kit was available! How much was the part-kit?
Wight is offline Find More Posts by Wight
Old Nov 11, 2003, 06:14 PM
Scale Glider Guider
Richmond, BC. Canada
Joined May 2003
191 Posts
Hi Wight,

Bob Holman Plans
1701 Garden Road
San Bernardino Ca

http://www.angelfire.com/ct/bhplans/

I can't seem to find his phone number at the moment. May be someone can pass it on to you while I look for it.

I ordered by phone last year. He took Visa and delivery was a couple of weeks. Price for the short kit was $100.00 USD.

Dave
Old Nov 11, 2003, 09:30 PM
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Joined Dec 1996
151 Posts
Joiner tube omission

Hi Airbus,
Very nice work, indeed.

Don Bailey was nice enough to email me and ask some questions which I replied to in terms of the design. I would like to point out that I forgot to draw in the top "cap" of the main wing joiner tube in my plan. Should you build one today, I would go with larger diameter wing rod. The struts are really designed to blow off in the event of an accidental arrival with the earth.

And, I would also install the tow hooks on the sides of the fuselage for winch launching and make them releasable. The bridle would always foul in the crotch of the struts at the darndest times!

why2cay write if you have questions.
Steve Moskal is offline Find More Posts by Steve Moskal
Old Nov 11, 2003, 09:54 PM
Scale Glider Guider
Richmond, BC. Canada
Joined May 2003
191 Posts
I see you mention the suggestion of a larger wing rod. I made a little change to your design by making the wing struts functional and changing the steel wing rods to fiberglass as they now serve to align the wings only. My struts are 3-32 music wire with soldered on Du-bro strut fittings. Very strong!
As a bonus the rear cockpit is now unobstructed by the rear wing rod and I think the airframe lost a little weight as well.
Also I made the stab removable. Two pieces and plugs in with wire pins over a square brass elevator drive. I like quick field set up.
Great design Steve. Well engineered and easy to build. Flies great!!

Dave

I've got the plans for you 1-26. Looks like another fun sailplane. Too many projects...not enough time.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:02 PM
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Joined Dec 1996
151 Posts
Plug in Stab - elegant solution

Airbus,
Know that the design won a regional champs in Australia about one year after it was released to MAN, so your kind words about the handling qualities are still appreciated.

The stab modification is surely an elegant solution. I may have to haul the prototype out and mark up a list for that change.

You should enjoy the 1-26. I documented the Sport version some time after the first model was released. This was an open cockpit version which the St. Louis owner even tricked up with a ring (honest!) gun sight. It also appeared in inter-war trainer colors. I love to see the clever mods all you builders make to enhance the design. I stopped my next project (a TG-1) in favor of less labor-intensive projects. The plans and designs I do are never released until we've flown the prototype and wrung out the flaws.
Steve Moskal is offline Find More Posts by Steve Moskal
Old Jan 02, 2005, 12:33 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,410 Posts
Nice work all.

I have been enlisted to generate plans and short kits for this craft at 1:3 and smaller scales as well. Nice to see yours complete and flying and the plug-in-tail joiner ideas are excellent! Holman cuts all of our kits for us as well and his work is great.

Hope you can all join us for our upcoming aerotow in May. The dates are now the 20th through 22 for the aerotow.

Tom

Just finished this last night in the wee hours of am. Will offer it in several different scales from 1:12 to 1:3 with stock thickness to use for each scale listed on sheet, all from same exact scale plan. Laser cut parts sets to follow. See attached:
mmartin55 is offline Find More Posts by mmartin55
Last edited by mmartin55; Jan 18, 2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2005, 03:34 PM
Model Maniac
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Jun 2004
154 Posts
Hey Steve, Where did you get the Kirby Kadet? I'm drawing one up on auto CAD now from 3 views that were posted here.. Would appreicate any info.....DRW
Ibinde is offline Find More Posts by Ibinde