HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:19 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,194 Posts
Gallery
Flying sites and local scenery

No time for building at the moment,too much "other stuff" interfering.
I thought it might be an idea to post pics of our flying sites;the scenery is often lost when a camera is tracking a flight.
I took my granddaughter for a drive after school the other day,and we ended up at a high point called Holme Moss.Unfortunately no flying possible from here because of a television transmitter,which is a shame.The grass in the foreground drops away almost vertically,good lift most days.The local clubs flying sites are way off to the right.
The hill in the middle distance is the site of an Iron age hill fort,also used by the Romans and Normans.Only earthworks remain.The tower was erected to commemorate Victorias jubilee.
If we get a break in the weather I'll have a run out to some of the actual flying sites this weekend.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:30 AM
Eden NY
Joined Sep 2001
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
The hill in the middle distance is the site of an Iron age hill fort,also used by the Romans and Normans.Only earthworks remain.The tower was erected to commemorate Victorias jubilee.
If we get a break in the weather I'll have a run out to some of the actual flying sites this weekend.
Stuart
Stuart,
That wouldn't be Old Sarum would it? I've been there! In my past travels .

Sorry the TV transmitter has spoiled a potential flying site. I wish we had a good slope near here, all hills nearby have too many trees, so mostly flat flying sites for me.

Regards,
-Eric
ohmite is offline Find More Posts by ohmite
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,194 Posts
Eric,this is oop north,in wild and woolly Yorkshire.Mostly peat moorland or grass on the hills,so a decent slope is fairly easy to find,access being the hardest part.
Stuart
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:41 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,780 Posts
Garrapata State Park

My favorite flying site is at the top of the mountain at Garrapata State Park, California. The 1800' high ridge offers slope and thermal sites facing all directions. Due to the many rock outcroppings, the would-be pilot must be keen on good landings. Great hike to the top.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:47 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
That is Scenic indeed my friend

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
That is Scenic indeed my friend

EZ
Certainly is.Flora,fuana,sea and sky.How about some Swiss Alps pics?
Regards Stuart
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:22 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
mmm Alps are kind of far away from where I live and being kind of hippie I do not own rubbers :P But I will post some pics once I get there They look very nice from my commuting train in the mornings though

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:13 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
376 Posts
Hi,

I had a chance to shoot a couple of fotos of my flying club MFC-Heidelberg yesterday. It is not as spectacular as the places shown before, but still a great place for flying (and only 5 min by bike from home). It is located in the "Neuenheimer Fields" a couple of kilometres at the north of Heidelberg's old town.

Andrés
andrecillo76 is offline Find More Posts by andrecillo76
Last edited by andrecillo76; Jul 08, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,194 Posts
Nice big field,Andres,good grass,AND standing corn for the first hop/what thesituations.Thanks for posting
Regards Stuart
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:41 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,313 Posts
My favorite model flying scenery.

http://www.alpinesoaring.com/Alpine_...cs_Events.html

Scroll down for photos.

Today, Sunday, is the last day this year but look forward to seeing everyone in July of 2013.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,194 Posts
Gorgeous scenery and a flat field!And weather to match.
The last 4or5"summers"here have been mixed to say the least.The continental high pressure system that usually covers the UK at this time of year has been blocked by a loop in the jet stream,so Atlantic lows have been drifting in.Yesterday we had a months rain in 24hrs!
Rant over,thanks for posting,I would love to be able to fly in that kind of terrain.Were there any wings at the meet?
Regards Stuart
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:09 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrecillo76 View Post
Hi,

I had a chance to shoot a couple of fotos of my flying club MFC-Heidelberg yesterday.
Andrés
You know, I'm beginning to understand why you build models. THAT is a great flying site. Acres of smooth grass. We too have smooth grass over here in California but they all seem to be closely guarded. I can't tell you how many security personnel I have met over the years while out trying to discover new flying sites.

Below are fotos of the flying site I call Fort Ord. It is one of many to choose from out in this recreation area. Each with it's own special mix of obstacles. Oh what I'd give for acres of open grass.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:12 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Rant over,thanks for posting,I would love to be able to fly in that kind of terrain.
Regards Stuart
Stuart,

How far are you from White Sheets or White Horse or where ever it is that Chris Williams flies?

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:16 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,194 Posts
Kent,that area is one of my favourites.About 60 miles north.Sutton bank close to the White horse(which isn't very impressive,not like it's southern"parent") is home to the Yorkshire gliding club.Quite a few family holidays in the area when I was younger.
I've never flown there myself,but lying on your back after a picnic watching the gliders above is very relaxing.
Stuart
Old May 02, 2013, 11:01 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,194 Posts
About a mile away across the valley from my humble abode is a decent looking slope,flat fields on the top.I've often thought it may make a good flying site.It's the area between the two roads on the centre right of the 1st pic,the 2nd is a google shot of the same area.Then the last few evenings spotted a paraglider tacking back and forth along the line of the slope.You can just make him out in the 3rd pic-no zoom on the iPad.
I think a trip over there to see who owns the land is on the cards.