Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:49 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,828 Posts
Discussion
Barrett's Foamie Quickbuilds

***** EDIT- Rather than fill up the board with 10 different build threads, I'm just gonna have one thread for the planes I will be working on this summer******

F-84C THUNDERJET-

I feel strongly enough about this one to make a thread here. This is my first all-out attempt at a round curved fuselage using plates of FFF. I am really excited about the way it has come out!

OK, the plane. A 46-inch wingspan Republic F-84C Thunderjet. The original gorgeous straight wing. Specifically modeled after the aircraft in my semi-local Pima Air Museum of Tucson.

I chose the F-84 because I have a high kv motor for a 7X5 prop and I've been looking for a jet which might look good (or at least not so bad) with a prop in the front. I'm sick of battling tail weight with pushers. With her tiny front intake, I think the F-84 was the logical choice. Didn't feel like going Mig.

I'm an old four-sided box fuselage kinda guy myself, so when I saw the fully-plated fuselage for the first time, I was pretty giddy.

Here are the pics of the fuselage taking shape.
greenseaships is online now Find More Posts by greenseaships
Last edited by greenseaships; Jul 04, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:26 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
938 Posts
Great Job! You have every reason to be happy. Making rounded fuselages are not so easy. I hope the rest of your build goes great.
Keith
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:59 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Very sleek, that's a great job on the fuse and the canopy looks amazing. looking forward to following the rest of your build.
Cheers
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:18 AM
Joined Feb 2010
1,681 Posts
Subbed!!! Looking great build so far
Doushiyou12 is online now Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:03 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Great and looking good already. I am making one but it is EDF and smaller. Similar idea, but used per-rolled foam cups. Depron would have worked too, but wanted to try the cups. Your much larger size looks so good using fff. I'll be watching fo sure.

On the canopy, you could add more frames, and do the greenhouse canopy version shown in this 3 view.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Last edited by Freddie B; Jun 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:18 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,828 Posts
Thanks all! The build is going great so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Great and looking good already. I am making one but it is EDF and smaller. Similar idea, but used per-rolled foam cups. Depron would have worked too, but wanted to try the cups. Your much larger size looks so good using fff. I'll be watching fo sure.

On the canopy, you could add more frames, and do the greenhouse canopy version shown in this 3 view.

Fred
Thanks Fred, that's awesome!! Yeah, I was thinking the greenhouse canopy as well, but the problem is that I want this to be a model of the specific F-84C that resides at the Pima Air Museum in Tucson. That's a bubble canopy. In the end, I think I'll just put up with the little flaw.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:47 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
That's bad az! Clean build.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:56 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships View Post
Thanks all! The build is going great so far.

Thanks Fred, that's awesome!! Yeah, I was thinking the greenhouse canopy as well, but the problem is that I want this to be a model of the specific F-84C that resides at the Pima Air Museum in Tucson. That's a bubble canopy. In the end, I think I'll just put up with the little flaw.
I see, and that is awsome that you already have this specific airplane you are scaling and have your color scheeme decided. How cool you can go see the real bird everytime you have questions on something.

I too would deal with the canopy flaw. You could also think about pouring some Fix-All or Water Putty plaster in that canopy, file/sand off the offending frame, and ask someone to vacu-form a new one.

Awsome for sure. have always wanted to do a larger one since starting my small version. This is cool, and in ways we are building in very simialr fashon with the "X" subframing and skinning. Great minds think alike!

Fred
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:52 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,828 Posts
Day 2 saw the construction of the wings and hardpoints for attaching them to the fuselage.

This may be a short thread
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:14 PM
Phantom Mechanic
Westpoint Utah
Joined Jul 2005
162 Posts
The F-84G is a great plane. I've always wanted an "F" model!
PhantomII is offline Find More Posts by PhantomII
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:39 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
You are building with the speed of a lightening bolt! It is making me look bad. But that is just fine by me.

Fred
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:31 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,074 Posts
very nice. I have a f model drawn up for a 90mm fan hope to get to it this winter. Learning a few things from yours i can incorporate to mine when the time comes. Subbed. Phil
mrshea is online now Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:57 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,828 Posts
Today's big deal was painting. God bless red electrical tape!

First I coated the fuselage with liquid Kilz white primer. The wings remain covered in the FFF plastic, so I just spraypaint them directly.

Then sand and dust with silver spray until it looks right. Sand lightly again and spray with matte finish spray.

Next comes the hard part- making hatches to access the electronics.

Barrett
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:00 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
United States, IN, Terre Haute
Joined Sep 2011
1,417 Posts
Awesome
bobdaeronort is offline Find More Posts by bobdaeronort
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:37 PM
Phantom Mechanic
Westpoint Utah