HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
916 Posts
Fiberglass, what a mess.........

Hey, That looks fine so far, at least it doesn't look any worse than mine usually does at that stage.

Adios - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,769 Posts
You don't mention blotting the epoxy after you've applied the glass. You can have significantly less weight with the same amount of fiberglass this way, and the result is neater and doesn't need much sanding except at the edge. If that comes out too thin, another layer of glass is better than lots of epoxy.

3/4 oz. glass can be about as heavy as paint, but a lot tougher. Or you can use more layers, which I think is advisable on the nose block and a few inches behind it on the bottom of the fuselage.

You can trim the epoxy and glass most easily when it is still a little soft, using a knife. You can also use a scraper. For sanding, it works best if you wait a while. For the slow epoxy I used on my boat, which is similar to West epoxy, the best sanding was after several days of curing. Less in hot weather or under an electric blanket or something.

As a rule of thumb, curing speed doubles for each 18 F rise in temperature. If you have 6 or 8 ounces of even slow epoxy mixed up in a jar, on a hot day, it can heat up and start to smoke!
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:36 AM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
152 Posts
epoxy

I just spred it out with a credit card like a squeegee. I think it is probably thin enoigh as you can see the texture of the cloth and the wood grain is very clear. I ended up with extra coats on the bottom and the nose as i did the job in several small sessions . The top and sides only got one coat while the bottom and nose have 3 to 4 coats depending on exact areas.

I also have the spoiler linkage sorted now.

Next I will be installing control rods, and joining the wing sections.
Fickle flier is offline Find More Posts by Fickle flier
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,769 Posts
Ok, squeegeeing with a card is a good way to do it if the material underneath is smooth, although it will shift the cloth a bit. I might do both. Sounds like you've done a good job on the glassing.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
152 Posts
Update

Update

I have been busy with life so my Riser has been sitting a little more than I planned. Sadly this is the only progress I have made on the project since my last update.

Pictures of my wing panels being joined and the sanded fuse.

I plan to finish the wing joining, spoilers and radio set up in the next week or two.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, VA, Lynchburg
Joined Jul 2012
63 Posts
Don't worry too much about slow progess Fickle Flier. Just don't forget about it.

I haven't worked on mine in a couple of days myself, even though I've had all day to do....whatever...and I've done pretty much nothing. Anyhow, here is a shot of where it stands. I've done most of the major assembly work, but now I need to get it ready for assembly.

Joshua
NCSU is offline Find More Posts by NCSU
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
152 Posts
Looks good! I think we are almost the same spot in construction. How did you do your spoilers? I ended up doing a servo in each wing. This is a bit problematic as I was using VegasRay's setup which works very easily; however, I am having trouble as there is not quite enough room to shut the spoiler completely (it touches the other easy connectors). I am able to make it work by moving the control horn to the very edge of the spoiler. The only problem is I had to carve out a bit of the wing behind the spoiler to allow the control horn to pass. That said it does work and I think I can just have a bit of covering hang past the edge of the spoiler to cover the small hole (about 1/8"). I am not totally happy with this but I do not feel like working on them anymore (I have been trying to get them to work for a while. I think the minimum spoiler size would have to be around 1" and mine are slightly smaller than that (I had 1.5" trailing edge stock and cut it down and they ended up about 3/4." Anyway they work perfect now and all I have to do is join the center wing panels and then sand, cover and install the radio stuff.

I was hoping to maiden this weekend as I thoght I may be able to get help using the highstart. I may have to learn that on my own. I do not see flying the plane as a problem, but I do not know what the learning curve on launching is going to be. ).
Last edited by Fickle flier; Oct 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
152 Posts
A little closer

I think I am getting there. That said every time I think I am close I think of another major step. As they say a picture is worth 1,000 words.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
916 Posts
Endless details......

Yep, I know what you mean. Looks good so far.

Adios - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Jul 2012
63 Posts
Flickle Flier,

Did you maiden? How did it fly? What is your finished weight? Pics or it didn't happen!

I'm almost done with mine, I hope to cover it tomorrow, and maybe fly it next weekend. I broke my wrist in a slight motorcycle..."mishap", so I'm finishing the build left handed. I also ordered a Mirage, so I want to finish this one up so I can start it.

NCSU
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:11 AM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
152 Posts
Hey, looks great.

As for me, my wife and I had a baby in November and I have not done much on the Riser since.

I have it to the point of installing electronics and sheeting the top of the fuse once the control rods are in. Then the only thing left would be to cover it. It is my intention to finish it this month and have it air worthy by the middle of Febuary at the latest (think I could do it in a couple of days if I really wanted). I am not very motivated at the moment as it is so cold where I am and my shop is not usually heated (have to tun on heat for an hour then go). Most days by the time it heats up I am doing something else.

It is interesting that you have ordered the Mirage. That one is on my short list for this summer. I think the next one I will build is the Gambler DLG. It is supposed to be a quick build. I really want a hand launch as there are many medium / small fields near my home but not a lot of large areas for a 2m+ ship (30 min drive vs 3 min).

I am curious, what sort of covering will you use. I bought full strength Monokoat, but now I am concerned if that could be too heavy. I have been reading about weights of different coverings and now I am thinking of going with something else on the wingtips and tail.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:19 PM
Joined Mar 2008
625 Posts
Wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I built a Riser something like 20 years ago. If I were to build another...

1. More dihedral (I retrofitted mine with substantially more dihedral which greatly improved the turning performance)
2. Airfoil section for the vertical stab
3. Airfoil section for the horizontal stab
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined Jul 2012
63 Posts
Fickle Flier,

Congratulations on the addition to your family!

I ordered some Ultracote for the riser. I had never applied covering before this weekend. Although I didn't do a first-class job, I am getting better with every piece and at 10 feet away, it'll look just fine. I will post a picture soon.

I currently own a Mirage, but it is about 60% overweight, and has been glued back together many, many times. I am looking forward to using what I've learned on the Riser to build the Mirage. I'm also looking to use it as a competition ship in the ESL this Spring/Summer. I hope to finish the Riser and / or start the Mirage this weekend. While I still have some building to do, I have already selected the following cover scheme for the Mirage:
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:49 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
152 Posts
Getting close

Cap_N_Dave
Thank you for the advise. I may make those changes in time with any other repairs; however, at this point I am basically installing the servos and covering.

NCSU
Did you maiden?? Just a curiosity. I think I will in a couple weeks to a month at the most.

All I am doing is installing the radio stuff and covering the plane. I am using Monocoat. I thought I would go with the full weight for durability as my piloting skills are not very good and this will be my first true glider. Does this seem like sound reasoning or should I be looking for lighter covering materials at the expense of durability (based on what I've read). When I bought it I did not realize that there were different weights I thought they were all more or less the same. The other option I had considered was to stick with the Monocoat but use a lighter material on the wingtips and tail.

Also, what would you guys suggest as far as a battery? I have a BEC from Castle and a receiver with two Futaba S3003 and two Hitec HS55s in the wings (flaps). I have a 2200, 1500, 1700, 1300 mah Lipo. I was going to try to use one of these depending on how much weight is needed to balance. Do you guys think these would be good choices? Would I be able to get a few hours of flight time using these in your estimation?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
63 Posts
I finished the Ultracote today. As it is my first-ever covering job, I am very happy with the results. There are a few wrinkles if you get close, but from 4 feet away it looks good. I would like to fly it next weekend, but I will be out of town in Louisville for the CYCLOCROSS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!! I still need to glue the tail, hinge the control surfaces, mount the control horns, setup the servos, and balance the aircraft.