HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:46 PM
Ideas can fly
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
Yippee!
New AirStudio universal Flight Controller for Mega Pirate NG and MultiWii

Hi All,

We would like to introduce to you our new universal Flight Controller for Mega Pirate NG (MPNG) and MultiWii code.

Main features:
  • Stabilized flight modes for different multicopter frames (Tricopter, X4, plus4, Y6, Hexacopter, Octocopter, X8 etc.), planes and independent gimbal stabilization
  • Integrated On Screen Display (OSD) for First Person View (FPV) flights
  • GPS for return to home position and loiter (GPS position hold)
  • Magnetometer (Compass) for heading determination
  • Very precise barometer for altitude hold
  • Sonar sensor for automated takeoff and landing capability and altitude hold (up to 5m height, MPNG feature)
  • Automated waypoint navigation using ground station software (MPNG, DIY Drones Mission Planner)
  • Mounted camera stabilization and shutter capability
  • Wireless telemetry for long distance communication
  • Power board for power distribution and current measuring
  • User configurable LED output with possibility to inform about low battery
  • Capability to use any R/C receiver
  • External signal module (Status board) for visual summary of aircraft condition
  • Power from 3S or 4S battery, or ESC

Inputs and outputs
  • 8 PWM or sum PPM input
  • 8 motor outputs
  • 3 camera gimbal outputs
  • IMU
  • GPS
  • OSD
  • USB
  • Sonar
  • Telemetry
  • Status board
  • High current LED output
  • 5 analog inputs (battery voltage, current sensor, RSSI & 2 free)

Flight Controller electronics consist from the following modules:
  • Control board
  • Sense board
  • GPS board
  • Status board
  • Power board

Thanks to Warthox for testing and videos.

You can check our hardware from our home page.
First units have been sold out and currently we are accepting preorders for next units.
More info at: www.air-studio.eu
Thank you!
AirCopter is offline Find More Posts by AirCopter
Last edited by AirCopter; Jun 26, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:48 PM
Ideas can fly
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
Videos

MultiWii GPS code

AirCopter MultiWii GPS (3 min 55 sec)

MegaPirateNG code with OSD

AirCopter MPNG 2.50 (2 min 46 sec)

Acrobatics and GPS Hold by Warthox, MultiWii code

mwc quad // gps test with r33 fw (8 min 40 sec)

GPS Hold by Warthox, MultiWii code

mwc quad // alt hold test with r33 fw (1 min 40 sec)
Last edited by AirCopter; Jun 27, 2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added a new video
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:49 PM
Ideas can fly
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
FAQ and technical comments

Link to AirStudio Flight controller Quick start guide and firmware
http://air-studio.eu/en/content/23-support

Connecting AirStudio GPS to MultiWii FC with I2C-GPS NAV board
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=30
Last edited by AirCopter; Jul 31, 2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:02 AM
Joined May 2012
587 Posts
WOW this looks pretty nice so the whole set up is 170ish Euro that in USD is $212.07 also when will this be available?
gitit20 is offline Find More Posts by gitit20
Last edited by gitit20; Jun 27, 2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:21 AM
Ideas can fly
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
Thanks for your interest.
We expect the next electronics batch to be ready and tested on July 17.

For outside EU customers
SET price is USD $212.06
KIT price is USD $176.01

For EU customers additional 22% VAT is added.
SET price is 209,83
KIT price is 174,16

You can change the currency to USD on top right corner.

More questions are welcome!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:34 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,226 Posts
Is GPS working as good as Naza GPS? Is autolevel good?

I flew MWC (I had 3 boards) and Naza still has better autolevel (FreeFlight FC too has better autolevel). Naza GPS also works great but I am looking for other solutions too but they have to be working.

Your solution is packed with features for the price. So I am interested to know/see how it works comparing to Naza. Thank you!
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
For an 8bitter in 2012 this is insanely overpriced. This would have worked couple years ago when kkboards were going for >$100 each, but not today.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:50 AM
Ideas can fly
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
We never had DJI Naza for tests, but judging from the videos I've seen, GPS position hold is on par with DJI Naza when using MegaPirateNG firmware. In MegaPirateNG our GPS module uses binary protocol with 10Hz refresh rate and is very precise. When used altogether with a sonar, the position hold (loiter) precision is very good.

I think DJI Naza has better autolevel by default, but the same stabilization level might be achievable with our hardware with tuned PID settings and all vibrations eliminated. The vibration elimination is very important for good stabilization.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:59 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,226 Posts
Thanks! It is good that sensor board is separate so it can be mounted in some flex foam just like Naza has in their box, so eliminating vibrations better.

Regarding sensors, I think this board uses more modern sensors, any chance you would use them too?
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...5&productname=

Maybe my MWC boards did not have as good autolevel because of crappy sensors and not perfect vibs elimination.

Regarding autolevel quality, now after I fly Naza for longer time I would say FreeFlight board was even better. They are alsmost equal with Naza but I found out that Naza does not level well when you fly a coulpe of seconds in certain direction. When stick is released it does not level immediately but it takes same amount of seconds to level out as you kept the craft flying in angle. I think FF did not do that, if I remember well (I sold the board).

@Timecop: I know your opinion on 8-bit, but still, it works well and consider this has GPS, OSD in price. Cheapest OSD of the similar basic level here in Europe costs around 80€ (Remzimbi or EasyOSD). So removing that the cost of the reminder is around 120€ (FC + sensors + GPS).
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:49 AM
Ideas can fly
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
A newer IMU board is currently under development, but I can not provide any details or ETA for it.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined May 2012
587 Posts
One more question for ya what is the receiver for the telemetry? I see the transmitter but not the other 1/2 what would I use? Also i read the setup guide and looks pretty damn easy :P just like the adrucopter and a few others i will def be keeping in eye on this and looking at what people have to say about it... I like the fact that there are a lot off all in ones popping up that work just as good if not better then DJI and the other 1k to 3 k controllers this kind of controller is proof that them 1000 dollar units are why over priced and such...

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined May 2012
587 Posts
some times it hard to make a choice to see what one you want I prob will get one of these an adrucopter and a CC3D from openpilot and Test them all I'm new but already have 3 quadcopters
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:01 AM
Ideas can fly
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
One more question for ya what is the receiver for the telemetry? I see the transmitter but not the other 1/2 what would I use? Also i read the setup guide and looks pretty damn easy :P just like the adrucopter and a few others i will def be keeping in eye on this and looking at what people have to say about it... I like the fact that there are a lot off all in ones popping up that work just as good if not better then DJI and the other 1k to 3 k controllers this kind of controller is proof that them 1000 dollar units are why over priced and such...

Thanks
Hi gitit20,

Telemetry modules are optional. We don't sell them.
You can use APC220, APC230, XBee or any other transparent serial wireless telemetry transceivers with 5V TTL serial interface.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCopter View Post
...]Automated waypoint navigation using ground station software (MPNG, DIY Drones Mission Planner)...
Board looks great and at a great competitive price. Didn't think MultiWii did way points yet. Is it using straight MultiWii or an enhanced version?

Went to the support page but it looks a little messed up. See attached.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:40 AM
Ideas can fly
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
Board looks great and at a great competitive price. Didn't think MultiWii did way points yet. Is it using straight MultiWii or an enhanced version?

Went to the support page but it looks a little messed up. See attached.
Hi RCvertt,

Thanks for your comment regarding our board.
MultiWii didn't allow to do waypoints, we hope to see this functions in the future.

You can get this functionality using MPNG code (ported ArduCopter software) and DIY Drones Mission planner.

Regarding our Support page (http://air-studio.eu/en/content/23-support) - I've checked in different browsers and it working ok. Can you please check in other browser?
Does anyone else have same issue?
Thanks!