HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Apr 2011
15 Posts
Help!
Will this motor work with this plane?

My dad gave me this plane and motor. I think it was from a Chinese site as he bitched about it being reverse dihedral.

Any case its a free plane and motor!

Can anyone tell me if this this motor is big enough to:
1. Fly normal
2. 3D

Saito Fa-65
Displ. (cc) -10.6
Bore (mm) - 24.8
Stroke (mm) - 22.0
HP - 0.95
YellowSnow is offline Find More Posts by YellowSnow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:40 PM
Keller, TX
Joined Aug 2005
299 Posts
Nice that you gave the engine specs. It may be helpful to also give the plane specs.
RCFVR is offline Find More Posts by RCFVR
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:48 AM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
Reverse Dihedral? While I know what that is I'm not sure what it has to do with it possibly being purchased from a chinese site. Generally reverse dihedral called anhedral is used on the horizontal stab. A few designs from the 70s, 80's used this and while it looked cool, I dont think it did much for flyability or you would still be seeing it today. I have not seen a plane with actual revers dihedral on the wing itself.

Based on the size of the elevator and other moveable surfaces I'd say the plane is designed for 3D. The weight of the plane / wing loading will detemine the type of flying the motor will allow.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:31 AM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Yes the Saito 65 will fly it just fine. No it not supposed to have anhedral. Someone did something wrong and it will need to be fixed before you fly it.

Please take some close up pictures of the wing center and some of the wing flat on a table.

You will need instruction to help you learn to fly if you haven't flown an RC plane before.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Apr 2011
15 Posts
Woops I forgot to say its 58". Not sure about any other specs as I have no idea where he got it from.

If you think it will get off the ground then I'm good to go!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
Probably fly fine with the Saito 65 but I doubt it's enough for 3D. I have a strong feeling the main wing is neutral (no dihedral/anhedral) but the taper from root to tip might give the appearance of "anhedral" which is the proper term for negative dihedral. Take a pic of the wing from the leading edge and post it here please. If the main wing does in fact have anhedral then somebody did something very wrong during constructuon. Also try and weigh everything with it set up as you would fly it but without fuel of course and post that.

Actually looks like a fun little plane with a lot of potential. Good luck!
flyboy9994 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy9994
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Apr 2011
15 Posts
Thanks flyboy9994!

Yea my dad doesn't always know what he is talking about so I'm not to worried.

I'm still pretty new to flying so it doesn't bother me.

Any free (almost completely built) plane is a fun plane!

First nitro plane so we will see how I like it. I have a 3DHS 48 edge that i just finished repairing after I crashed it and a Parkmaster 3d.

Kinda enjoying the foam better as I can repair it in a second and not cry after wrecking it.. lol
However, after so many wrecks it flies sideways. Not sure how to fix that.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
If you were flying a 3DHS 48" Edge then you will be fine with the Cap 232. Just makes more noise and is a little messier to clean up afterwards. I don't care about the mess and just love the "feel" of glow/nitro airplanes. Plus you should be able to fly 10/15 minutes instead of 5/6 with electrics. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

P.S. I absolutely love the 3DHS stuff and I'm going to do a glow/nitro conversion on one of their electric planes soon. Probably a 51" Slick with a 60 size 2 stroke glow.
flyboy9994 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy9994
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Apr 2011
15 Posts
oh wow good point! I need more air time. I can hover in this phoenix rc simulator but can't do anything in real life. I think the throttle is my biggest issue.

Is it 10/15 for 3d or just flying around? oh I can just refill and go again! hmm I might enjoy nitro more as I'm just starting out if I don't crash it.

I'm guess less wind effects on the plane as well?
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
I have not seen a plane with actual revers dihedral on the wing itself.
Vaught F8 Crusader, Harrier, An-24, Galaxy, etc. They're fairly common. The critical thing has to do with their vertical C/G. If the C/G is low enough, then the anehedral is still a stable configuration.

There was a .020 power F/F dolphin (yea, the marine mammal) with anehedral wings published in AeroModeler decades ago. It got its stability from a very low C/G.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012