Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlyscale View Post
Great thread Terry, nice projects. Refreshing change to all the military subjects.
I've always thought the Rauch TU-154 has a neat look to it.
http://rauch-airliner.com/Tupo-Koeln%20008.jpg
Very nice looking. Look like they are running twin motors on that.

Terry
Chuchuf is online now Find More Posts by Chuchuf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:06 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,263 Posts
Some more progress

The top of the fuse has to have a hatch put in it to allow for battery R&R. These are the dimensions for that hatch.
Did the rough cutting on where the nacelle pod attaches to the wing. Still debating whether to have the nacelle removable as per the plans of fixed. I have seen both and on the Delta above it was fixed. What I like about fixed is the clean transition to the wing and strength. What I don't like about fixed is if there is an incident where the nacelle needs to be repaired it is harder.

Terry
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,263 Posts
More progress today. Worked on the wood for the landing gear. The plans call for the inside and outside wood that the gear screws into to both be removable. I decided that for additional strength I would make the inside larger piece permanent and the smaller outter wood block removable so the gear can be R&R'ed. Putting in the rest of the wood block supports and then fiberglassing inside.

Terry
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:17 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
888 Posts
Terry,

I'd love to see one of these fly but you maiden them during the week and then they dissapear never to be seen in public again. Are you able to disclose who commissioned you to build these birds or is it confidential?
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Terry,

I'd love to see one of these fly but you maiden them during the week and then they dissapear never to be seen in public again. Are you able to disclose who commissioned you to build these birds or is it confidential?
Eric,

Confidential, sorry.
Yea you should come out and see one fly. They really are something. PCM did a great job of designing the wing. And the thing is they all fly the same and have ranged in weight from 25 lbs to 28.5 lbs. I know where all the plugs and molds are if anyone wants to buy them and bring this bird back on the market.
This is the last one I'm doing and will test fly in primer (in fact the final paint job looks like primer.....maybe I won't paint it......lol) in a few weeks. I'll let you know when.
The reason I go out during the week is it's less crowded and there is less pressure, although the old guys think I'm there to put on a personal air show for them.
Sorry to hear about your Viper. What a nice plane.
I have a SAPAC 100mm BEA Hawk that's moving pretty good now on a Jetfan 90 and HET 700-68-1680kv. It's about the size of your Viper and about 11 lbs. Let me know when you are going flying and I'll bring it out. That and your Viper is just the perfect size for an EDF.
Man it was HOT in my shop today!!

Terry
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:46 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,082 Posts
I always thought I might like to build a PCM L-1011 but missed out when Pat shut down production. Truth be told I think the EDF power plant airliner models seem to fly much better than the turbine ones from the videos I've seen - more scale like. Maybe just because they are not so over powered Thanks for sharing the pics.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,263 Posts
Some more progress on the wings

Moving ahead on the wings and got the screw blocks in place, wing cover cut out with gear door and sanded, aileron opening made and cover completed with servo block, flap hols drilled, holes for motor wires drilled, battery hatch cut into fuse and supporting wood installed. Moving right along.

Terry
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,263 Posts
Fiberglassing started. The vertical and horizontal stabs glassed with 1/2 oz cloth to keep it light.
Some additional decisions have been made. Servos for the elevators will be located in the stabs and servo for the rudder will be located in the vertical fin.......maybe, still debating that one.
Opening for esc mounting and cooling put in the bottom of he fuse just forward of the where the battery box goes. This allow me to keep the battery leads from the esc short as well as access to the motor leads coming in from the wing.
Also starting to add fiberglass tape to structural places like nose gear mount, rings where fuse joins together, main gear mounts, etc.
Pat calls for 6 oz cloth on the seam of the inner and outer wing and I am considering doing three layers of two oz cloth making each wider to minimize build up since the rest of the wing will be done with 3/4 oz cloth.

Back to work......

Terry
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:35 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,082 Posts
I like the main gear trucks, what material did you use? Did you weld the parts? What main gear retracts are those?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:09 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,966 Posts
Landing Gear.

Landing gear is a set that Robart makes for this plane, he had it converted to electric. Terry, did you also get the Glennis Scales wheels for it?

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf View Post

Equipment will include:

* Robart gear for the 1011 converted to electric by Down and Locked

Terry
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:50 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,082 Posts
OK, the retracts are Robart - thanks. - What about the trucks (the 4 wheel attachment bogie to the RoboStruts)? Custom build by yourself? Nice work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA View Post
Landing gear is a set that Robart makes for this plane, he had it converted to electric. Terry, did you also get the Glennis Scales wheels for it?

Ralph
Funny, we take the Glennis wheels off these planes because weight is so important and replace them with DuBro Super Light wheels. While they don't look as good on the ground I save over 1.5 lbs weight and the DuBros hold up well on the plane landing in both grass and pavement.

Terry
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
OK, the retracts are Robart - thanks. - What about the trucks (the 4 wheel attachment bogie to the RoboStruts)? Custom build by yourself? Nice work.
They are RoboStruts. They are very nice but we need to take some of the spring loaded "rake" out of them. The reason is that I like to create more ground clearance on the nacelles (everyone seems to ding or hit the nacelles on landing) and to do this I extend the struts in the gear about 1/2" but this makes getting the gear retracted a bit$h. So if I stick with 2.25" mains and take some of the rake out the retracts fit when retracted. I also take and limit the throw on the robostruts by 1/4".

Terry
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:46 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! Love it. I'd love to get.my hands on those molds. Wonder how much they'd go.for.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! Love it. I'd love to get.my hands on those molds. Wonder how much they'd go.for.

Rich
If you are seriously interested, i know how much they are and they aren't cheap.

Terry