SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2003, 01:32 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Noob concept plane

I was replying to a post earlier about a plane that reminded me of some of the models I used to build out of Legos as a kid. One in particular sprang to mind; I think it was inspired by the Batman movies/GI Joe. I may just have to get into FFF and see if I can make a working model.

Please tell me what you think; I have no idea how big or small I'd make it, I was thinking at least a 30" wingspan and a couple of EDF's. It would be a flat plate airfoil. I wouldn't want it to do any special aerobatics; I just think it would look cool.
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:28 AM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Nice lines. me like. sounds doable in the size you want
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Nov 11, 2003, 08:28 AM
United States of America
Joined May 2003
287 Posts
Good looking concept plane. You might try posting this design in the flat plate jet thread located here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=145965

The fellas in that thread have done a number of interesting planes and may have some good input for you. Unfortunately I don't have anything to offer, other than the fact that I love the looks of it.
GenesisCreation is offline Find More Posts by GenesisCreation
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:54 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined May 2002
232 Posts
I like the look of this plane, but I would be concerned with those wingtips flexing/bending...especially with a flat plate wing.

Forward swept wings in full-size aircraft were a "no-no" because of "aeroelastic divergence" until recent developments in composite construction allowed stronger, lighter materials to prevent it.

Forward swept wings in FFF models like the "XBow" are certainly possible, but that design uses a folded/double surface wing, which makes the entire wing, including the tips, quite rigid. You might need to do the same thing.

Or you could "tie" the wingtips to the forward fuse with a thin carbon rod or a bamboo skewer (my all-time favorite cheapo, readily available reinforcement for FFF). Like the revised pic below.

rict.
rict is offline Find More Posts by rict
Old Nov 11, 2003, 12:13 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
30" might work with 2 EDF 50's in it. A 18" with a EDF 40 Might be easier. The carbon rod idea is a must and the lightest equipment you can find. The thing should be a blast.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:05 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Yeahh, I was thinking about the flex also. I dunno, maybe a square U-shaped tube of CF might do the trick, like I said it doesn't have to go fast. I'd probably have to go with your idea, rict.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys! I'm thinking FFF and I are going to become good friends seeing as how I just bought a new car... Oh well.
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.