Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
wiliam.m
England
Joined May 2008
44 Posts
Help!
Advice needed on Micro Warbirds

Hi all,

I haven't been active much with my RC hobby for a while, but I am thinking of getting back into it. From a quick browse over the internet it looks like there are some awesome micro warbirds around now!

I currently have a Parkzone scout and a Kyosho flybaby. They are both pretty awesome but have their drawbacks. The scout is quite a big plane with 4 channel controls and is big enough to carry my 808 keychain camera, however due to the size it does require preparation and a large flying area, which means that I hardly ever take it out anymore. The flybaby however is really easy to get going with but is too light/underpowered to take up my 808 camera and is a little tame and boring due to being only 3channel.

I feel that I have out-grown my flybaby and so I plan to sell the flybaby and buy a 4channel micro plane.

I do not have a spektrum or any decent controller so I would have to buy a separate parkzone controller for most of the warbirds below for around 20. I could buy a decent TX but I am hesitant to do so as I don't think I will be buying many more planes.

The micro warbirds from Parkzone look incredible but I do not know how they perform in relation to eachother. From reading online reviews I have found out the following on the Parkzone range of micro planes. Thank you in advance on any help you can give me on choosing a micro plane!

P51 Mustang
70 (RTF)

This seems to have been around for a while and is the cheapest of them all, as the price also includes the controller. (I don't have a spektrum etc.)
With regards to performance I haven't read anything particularly negative against it. Looks like a pretty good deal, however the plane is fairly plain in comparison to my other choices below.

Corsair
68 (BnF)

Wow, I really like this style of plane, it is so different! However I have read quite a few negative points against this. Firstly that the motor is brushed and can burn out and have limited output. I am not expecting the plane to be racing across the field but some speed would be nice. Secondly the servos are very exposed, making belly lands difficult without protective modifications.

Mosquito
70 (BnF)

Now this is a special little plane as it is certainly something different for me when comparing it to my flybaby and parkfun scout. I am not sure what the motors are, but I suspect that they would be brushed like the Corsair. However as it is a twin motor, is the plane particularly fast or is it offset by the more bulky body? Also if the plane is slightly heavier and more powerful than the other micro-warbirds, would there be a possibility that I could tape on my keyring camera? Link: http://chucklohr.com/808/

From looking at videos, the plane seems to be able to perform better in light wind conditions but is not as maneuverable and thus less fun? Than the other warbirds here.

Sukhoi
43 (BnF)

This is not a warbird, but is the cheapest out of all of the options and is a 4channel plane. It should have the best flying characteristics but could be quite twitchy and difficult to control. I am not so keen on this, but the price is certainly appealing.
william.m is offline Find More Posts by william.m
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:21 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
I like the Sukhoi best. I stuck a GWS 5043 prop on and the improvement was significant. The stock prop is not very good.

It has VERY powerful ailerons. Definitely cut the throw and use some expo. It has a symetrical wing and flies better than all the under cambered wings.

I have two J3's, two P-51's, two Sukhois (original, as in the picture) and a few of the AS3X models as well as the Champ. Of the non AS3X planes I like the Sukhoi best, though the Champ is nice if you like tamer planes.

My two cents.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:13 AM
PLANES!
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Oct 2011
37 Posts
Another choice is the wildcat from parkzone. It comes bnf or pnp so you will need a transmitter. Arkzone also has a p51 that comes rtf
flyguy99 is offline Find More Posts by flyguy99
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:03 AM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
I notice the low price on the Sukhoi. If you buy one make sure it's the XP. The original was under-powered and had other problems.

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:24 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,234 Posts
I have owned and flown both the Sukhoi and the Mossie. Both are good planes, but don't expect them (especially the Mosquito) to fly well in any wind.

The Sukhoi is definitely faster. The Mossie is stately, but can also loop and roll - but don't expect airshow aerobatics from a near-scale warbird!! They also have brushed motors. Motor life is affected by how much power they're putting out, so relaxed, mid-throttle flying will extend their life, but you'll also want moments when you go full throttle, but temper your desires and you'll get good performance. However, the motors are relatively cheap, though, at about $10 US, which is around 6.5 British pounds. Fun always has a price!

Unless your flying skills are well beyond a beginner status, I would stay away from the Beast or the F-27Q Stryker. I have both, and they're pure adrenalin-generating funships - but then, I've been flying for decades.
356Jim is online now Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:31 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Unless you are going to get a decent TX, forget the Sukhoi. In fact, forget all of these and wait for the spitfire, or get a T-28.

In a few attempted flights, a Sukhoi will be a broken Sukhoi. The Video game TX + Sukhoi does not make a good first 4 Channel plane.

I love the sukhoi and have hundreds of hours flying it... and maybe I could fly one with the toy TX without breaking it, now, but I tried it years ago and remember vividly it completely sucked.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:43 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
793 Posts
I'm with UNGN. My feeling is that with the parkzone transmitter sticking to the T-28 will give the best balance of control and fun. The other planes really benefit from a full tx.
gklein is online now Find More Posts by gklein
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:35 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,915 Posts
UNGN you're DA Man... But I started my micro flying using the DX-5e and had the SU converted of course to an LA-5 look alike and though I agree it was hard to fly until I got the hang of it it could really take a beating and still fly

My first Micro was my paper to Depron Spitfire with the DX-5e. a great flying plane fast or slow.

Pete
mtflyr is online now Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:45 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
UNGN you're DA Man... But I started my micro flying using the DX-5e and had the SU converted of course to an LA-5 look alike and though I agree it was hard to fly until I got the hang of it it could really take a beating and still fly

My first Micro was my paper to Depron Spitfire with the DX-5e. a great flying plane fast or slow.

Pete
Pete, I agree with that.

The DX5e is a good TX and someone with reasonable skill could fly a sukhoi on low rates until they get the hang of it, but since the DX8 came out, used DX6i's are around $100 and a computerized TX can help make the unflyable flyable and would be worth the $60 more than a used DX5e.... Micros are a slippery slope.

The street price of the new Spitfire is $90 (cheaper than the Corsair and Mossy, about the same as the P-51) so it may be worth the 2 month wait for someone not wanting to get a good TX as it should be a lot easier to fly with the RTF TX than any of the current planes.

AS3X is for real and even my Nine eagles micro Spitfire flies great so the shape works.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:54 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Good point on the tx/Sukhoi.

It's the only plane I've ever gotten into pilot induced oscillation on the roll axis.

I fly mine (old version but with GWS 5043 prop) with my DX6i or DX8 and almost never use full throw on the ailerons. I also fly with lots of expo, even on my docile planes.

I still think the Sukhoi is the best flying plane in its price range, but you have to tame it a bit or be ready for wildly over controlling it on the roll axis.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:16 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
744 Posts
No ones mentioned the UM T-28.... I know its not on Williams list, but its such a great little plane. I learnt to fly with one of these and its always my go to plane in the back of my car, when ever the weather smiles on us.
Groovechampion is online now Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:18 AM
PLANES!
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Oct 2011
37 Posts
i had a t28. then I took it apart
flyguy99 is offline Find More Posts by flyguy99
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:31 AM
wiliam.m
England
Joined May 2008
44 Posts
Thanks so much to everybody who have contributed to the thread, although I don't think I am much closer to a decision! haha

From reading your replies it looks like none of you think too highly of the basic 20 Parkzone controller that comes with the RTF versions of these. However unless I find a 2nd hand TX on the forums, im not sure I have any choice as I think it would be a bit overkill and waste of money for me to buy a TX for just one micro warbird. Im not sure what to do but ill keep my eye out for a tx on the classified that is located in Europe.

TX aside I am somewhat partial to the keychain carrying abilities of the mosquito but I am hearing mixed reports on the ability of it to fly in the wind. I know that these UM are pretty rubbish when it comes to dealing with the wind, but is the mosquito any worse than the others?

Also thank you for suggesting the upcoming Spitfire! I had no idea one was coming out and is certainly quite appealing! Having read what I can about it on the internet, I am not 100% on what the AS3X technology it comes with does.

william.m is offline Find More Posts by william.m
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:23 PM
Never Under estimate the power
United States, MA, North Attleboro
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
I own all of those except the Sukoi. I also have the T-28.

I would say my favorite is the P-51, followed by the T-28 and the Mosquito. I'm so-so on the corsair.

The T-28 is a great 4 channel ultra micro. It has almost exactly the same habits as the 'full size' Parkzone plane. It can fly incredibly slow, or pull off some fun aerobatics. Good for a first/trainer 4 channel.

The P-51 is just a blast to fly. it's quick, agile, and can perform a full range of aerobatics without a thought. I love slowing it down to just before the stall and then going to full power suddenly. If it had tires you'd hear them screech. You can see it sort of 'leap' forward. It's a ball.

The Mossey flies incredibly scale. You can do stunts, but really she deserves some nice scale passes and don't insult her with a hand toss. Find some pavement and let her roll
RickSide is offline Find More Posts by RickSide
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LLFC in the Boston Globe
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:31 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Hi william.m,

If you want to start climbing up the transmitter ladder I've got a Dx5e controller that I no longer use as I have the Dx6i. Its only about 18 months old and in full working order but the Hi Lo rates toggle switch arm is bust off (I accidentally sat on it - doh!). The switch still works, it's just theres no toggle jutting out. It can probably be easiliy replaced if you want it looking pristine.

Still got the box it came in but dont ask me where the instructions are! Mind you, I think you can download them from the Spektrum support site.

Send me a PM if it's of interest and I'll upload some images and let you know how much.

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird